PDA

View Full Version : Carbs

Dizzee
03-30-2007, 10:53 AM
How many should you eat a day when losing weight, I wouldn't say I was cutting just losing weight. I am 106kg in weight if that has a bearing on it. I think I have my fat intake sorted, not sure about protein but most worried about carbs.

Yeti Sandwich
03-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Why do you say you're losing weight but not cutting? How are you differentiating the two?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Losing weight is a form of cutting. Losing fat and maintaining muscle is optimal cutting.

As for the carbs, that's a personal preference. You need to have a structured diet to figure out how much or little you want to consume. You need to start tracking everything you eat if you aren't already. Sign up at www.fitday.com for a free account. You should be getting at least .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM (with the majority of this being from healthy fat sources), 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM, and the rest of your calories can come from fat, protein, or carbs based on what makes you feel the most comfortable. Also, check out the diet links in my sig. Peace.

Dizzee
03-31-2007, 03:44 AM
Yeah I meant I am not particualry bothered about maintaining muscle, (that's even I have any muscle).

the doc
03-31-2007, 10:30 AM
are you currently overweight or obese? what is your bmi?

Dizzee
04-01-2007, 10:55 AM
bmi is 32 and I think my bodyfat is 25.5% according to the machine, is that overweight or Obese? I am 6 ft and 106kg.

Dizzee
04-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I don't think I am obese really I can row 10000m in 45 mins and then follow that up with a 30 min aerobic cycling program, Would I be able to do that if Obese?

the doc
04-01-2007, 01:33 PM
yes you are obese: a BMI of greater than 30 is obese. Since you mentioned that you dont seem to have much muscle then definitely you fit within the BMI scale (muscular athletes such as football players, powerlifters, or BBers with lower BF% dont fall within the statistical range of BMI). On this forum you'll hear/see people with a BMI of 35 with 10% BF... not the kind of person the BMI studies were based on.

The good news is that you are only in stage 1 obesity. Diet and exercise will most likely alleviate your problems. Work on gaining muscle mass (burns more cals than fat mass) whilst restricting your calorie intake and this will facilitate your fat loss

Yes you could have the ability to complete those tasks and still be obese.

Dizzee
04-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Oh my I am obese, it's quite a shock to hear it but I guess it will spur me on even more. I will try and get some pics done to post a before and after to help motivate myself.

Unholy
04-01-2007, 02:58 PM
yes you are obese: a BMI of greater than 30 is obese. Since you mentioned that you dont seem to have much muscle then definitely you fit within the BMI scale (muscular athletes such as football players, powerlifters, or BBers with lower BF% dont fall within the statistical range of BMI). On this forum you'll hear/see people with a BMI of 35 with 10% BF... not the kind of person the BMI studies were based on.

The good news is that you are only in stage 1 obesity. Diet and exercise will most likely alleviate your problems. Work on gaining muscle mass (burns more cals than fat mass) whilst restricting your calorie intake and this will facilitate your fat loss

Yes you could have the ability to complete those tasks and still be obese.

Why would you even use BMI - Technically anyone with any significant muscle mass would be considered obese even at low BF%. BMI is absolutely ******ed..

Unholy
04-01-2007, 03:00 PM
When I finish my cut and end up at 230lbs @ 12-13% BF that will be considered obese as far as BMI is concerned.

the doc
04-01-2007, 03:14 PM
did you even read my posts? Obviously not

You would see that I said the BMI is not applicable for someone such as you so relax. you are not in the statistically relevent range. For the 95% of typical westerner's that are not strength athletes it is highly predictive of morbidity and mortality. I've got a stack of study results sitting right in front of me - RIGHT NOW - that agree with what i just said.

Notice the OP mentioned he thought he had little muscle mass - thus the BMI is applicable to him

Unholy
04-01-2007, 03:32 PM
**** my apologies, I don't know how the **** I missed that:bow:

the doc
04-01-2007, 03:33 PM
hey man its cool!
:):)