PDA

View Full Version : Can you gain too much weight too fast?

vrizzle
04-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Can you gain too much weight too fast?

is it possible? what are the effects? how much is too much?

Little John
04-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Yes, you can, and I'm doin it right now! I can't stop eating - and even though I'm on a bulk I'm eating way above my target caloric bracket on every other day. I'm putting on muscle, yeah, somewhere underneath all of this fat anyway! When you gain too fast you'll get more fat than muscle, when you cut too fast you'll lose your muscle.

Unholy
04-01-2007, 08:13 AM
yup =P

Isaac Wilkins
04-01-2007, 09:08 AM
It depends on your goals and what kind of weight.

If you develop a massive water retention/circulation problem and soak up an extra 70 lbs of water (possible), then sure. That would be too much weight too fast and you'll probably die.

I'll assume that's not what you meant.

If you're just talking about putting on too much weight as far as fat/muscle ratio, it simply depends on how much fat you're willing to gain to add muscle. There have been some very successful bodybuilders and strength athletes that have blown way up to 350+ pounds (and fat as hell) to put every shred of muscle on that they can. Is that optimal? Maybe yes, maybe no. It worked, though.

vrizzle
04-01-2007, 09:24 AM
In weightlifting this year at my school I was a 129, next year I plan to be an extremely lean 154 (I could be a 139, but that's what I'm about naturally, and I never want to have to cut weight ever again).

I'm guessing I gain enough to weight 160ish then cut the fat off to weigh 154. Does that sound right? I'm on creatine right now so I'll probably be gaining a lot of weight at the moment. Should I even be on creatine, or should I just gain it naturally?

I say that because my friend's totals rocket up when he's on creatine, but they plummet when he's not. He gains about 5 - 6 pounds when he's on it, would his totals still go up that much if he were to gain that much in LBM, and not water retention?

Stumprrp
04-01-2007, 09:28 AM
i suppose, alot of studies show like the body cannot put on more then .5 LBM a week, i think it should be a little higher then that, 2 lbs of muscle a month? i put on 20 lbs of LBM in 3-4 months last bulk.

3+ lbs a week is a bit to fast unless your thin and a noob.

vrizzle
04-01-2007, 09:34 AM
thin, but not a noob, I'll be coming up on 4 years lifting soon. I know that's not much to you people who have been lifting for 20+ years.

Unholy
04-01-2007, 09:41 AM
pshhh try 5 months of serious lifting. But yea Creatine is Fine. How tall are you?

vrizzle
04-01-2007, 10:36 AM
5' 8" - 5" 8.5"

TopCat
04-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Stretch marks, they started around my armpits and now have started on my outter chest. At 5'11" it was going from 180 to 220 over 4 months. This kind of thing is totally different from person to person and I must just be the unlucky one that gets stretch marks really easy... Good thing male and never gonna be pregnant.