PDA

View Full Version : Saturated fats... Am I getting enough?

KingJustin
04-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I go pretty far out of my way to eat really "clean." That in mind, I'm bulking on a ~4,000-5,000 calorie diet right now, and I'm worried I'm not taking in enough saturated fats. I'm 212 lbs or so. I get plenty of the healthy fats.

How many grams of saturated fat should I be getting each day?

the doc
04-01-2007, 01:15 PM
i know of no daily requirement for saturated fats. Your body can make teehm

Mr. D
04-01-2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/3/550?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1097233292054_2953&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&volume=80&firstpage=550&resourcetype=1&journalcode=ajcn

Q: Isn't a certain amount of saturated fat required for optimal testosterone production?

A: some data indicates that. some data indicates that lowering sat fats/increasing fiber is good for the prostate probably by decreasing testosterone levels.

however, that's separate from whether or not they are an essential nutrient

to be an essential nutrient, a nutrient has to
a. be required for life (i.e. if you don't consume it, you will die)
b. the body can't make it

sat fats doesn't fit into either category. you could never consume another gram of sat fats in your life and you wouldn't suffer nutritinoally for it. And in the rare cases where the body makes fat out of other nutrients, it makes saturated fats.

contrast that to say, vitamin C. if you consume zero vitamin C, you will eventually get very sick (scurvy). and the human body can't make it. hence it is essential. same with all of hte other vitamins. required for life, body can't make them. same for half of the amino acids. same for the EFA's.

you might argue that, in the context of athletic performance, saturated fats are required for 'optimal' functioning. but optimal and essential aren't the same thing.

Lyle McDonald

KingJustin
04-01-2007, 01:50 PM
you might argue that, in the context of athletic performance, saturated fats are required for 'optimal' functioning.

Lyle McDonald

I wish he would have followed up on how much is 'optimal' here.

Mr. D
04-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Yea, I think sticking with the 1/3rd of total fat intake works out well.

KingJustin
04-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Well, at this point I'm not even close to that. I was taking in about 16g/day, until I thought I should increase sat fats a bit, and then I went up to 25g. I take in a total of ~125g of fat per day (~25% of total cals). Time to increase?

Mr. D
04-01-2007, 02:13 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-01-2007, 02:53 PM
About 30% of your fat should be saturated fat. The rest should come from healthy fat sources (EFAs).

Or you can get really into it and read the article that Mr. D posted.

Beast
04-01-2007, 05:42 PM
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html

This article was written based on the very latest in research on fats.