PDA

View Full Version : whats more important, the growth hormone effect from fat post workout or insulin spik

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-21-2002, 03:38 PM
anyone???????how can we say one is better than the other. proof that the insulin spike from carbs is more effective than the gh effect from fats?

Zalxder
02-21-2002, 03:51 PM
I dont get it, do gh's just increase the use of fats? and then insulin just does the same thing with carbs?

plornive
02-21-2002, 04:06 PM
I'm new to this issue, but...

...it seems that carbs are most important at that moment. It is basically the only window of opportunity to replenish glycogen and utilize it's anabolic effects. Growth hormone can be secreted at other times when it doesn't hinder other anabolic hormones. Similarly, I don't think high GI carbs should be consumed at night, when your body is utilizing OTHER hormones (and I know that insulin sensitivity is lower at night, but aside from that...).

I don't think growth hormone did that much for me when I was on a CKD and ate heavy cream and whey protein pudding post-workout. Also, it has long been noticed by many bodybuilders that carbohydrate is the most important macronutrient for bulking.

So, conventional wisdom tells me to eat carbs unless your body is somehow "special".

TreeTrunks
02-21-2002, 05:03 PM
There are many other ways of rasing gh levels working out is one another is sleeping to name a couple. I haven't heard where fat raises gh. I'll look into that. Since there are several other ways to raise gh levels I guess concentrate on the insulin spike.

Budiak
02-21-2002, 05:14 PM
From experience, its carbs.

This is just Budiak theory, something I call Buditheory, but hear me out.
After an intense workout, the muscles are subject to catabolic pressure(substances the names of which i havent the slightest). At this time, they are also thirsty, hungry for nutrients. The best way to get nutrients into the muscles is with fast acting carbs and fast acting proteins. This fills the muscles with protein and makes them fat and sassy. If you were to supplement with Fats post workout, they would stimulate the release of growth hormone yes, but what happens to the muscles who have capacity to grow but no food trucks are coming in? Thats why carbs are more important post workout, because the number one priority is getting nutrients into your muscles.

This is why we reccomend you eat cottage cheese and flax before bed. The flax is great fat that stimulates growth hormone, which is absolutely necessary for growth (hence...). When do we grow? When we rest. Thats why.

Spiderman
02-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Nice post budiak. Nice description. ;) Also, fat post-workout can slow down the digestion process taking it longer to get your body's stores replenished.

big calvin
02-21-2002, 05:53 PM
butt cheeks: i wouldnt say its the GH from fat u get but more then hormonal state your in when you carbs are lower and fat is higher. meaning fat burning state. if your tryin to get lean then i would have some carbs pre workout and non after. if your bulking then have carbs all the time! ;)

my reasoning is when your carbs are lowered(from dieting) and u work out out u dont feel so good(weak) and after u have a huge post workout carbs to fill glycogen back up. but why would u want that? after all the low carbs is gonna empty it out again. so i think the best way is to eat some carbs pre workout and have protein and efa post workout. this way u have glucose to be used during training and keep strength up. but if u have carb load meals then both meals should be low carbs ,high fat.

IMO

mdirrane12
02-22-2002, 07:49 AM
If you want glycogen replenishment use glutamine. A study has shown that an 8g dose post-workout is as effective at restoring muscle glycogen as a high dose of glucose. Creatine also accelerates glycogen synthesis.

I never read anything about dietary fat influencing GH, but monounsaturated and saturated fat will boost testosterone post-workout. Testosterone gets suppressed post-workout and its rebound is what drives the anabolic period.

T & GH are complementary hormones: when you raise one, you raise the other, when you suppress one, you suppress the other.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-22-2002, 08:47 AM
"If you want glycogen replenishment use glutamine. A study has shown that an 8g dose post-workout is as effective at restoring muscle glycogen as a high dose of glucose"

Bullshit.

Spiderman
02-22-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
"If you want glycogen replenishment use glutamine. A study has shown that an 8g dose post-workout is as effective at restoring muscle glycogen as a high dose of glucose"

Bullshit.

Correct in your statement Chicken. ;)

max_power
02-22-2002, 09:47 AM
I've ever thought that fats raised the level of the sexual hormon testosterone and not Gh. I knew that this hormon was much more active in the night. That is why I do not eat carboidrates in the night because as we know insulin is the antagonist hormon of Gh. So no insulin in the night,but insuline spikes after the workout to fill the glicogen. That is the most important thing to do in this period:eat high GI carboidrates.

max_power

body
02-22-2002, 11:44 AM
chicken - you been reading iron man on pulse feeding? as I remember disagreing with that statement. aless they did one set of one exercise of curls.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-22-2002, 12:06 PM
I think i vaguely remember something about pulse feeding and i concluded it's a waste of time. I think haha

Budiak
02-23-2002, 12:19 AM
WTF is pulse feeding?

body
02-23-2002, 04:04 AM
pulse feeding - eat 80% of your protein in one meal, as it improves uptake to the muscles. it say small portions of protien every 2 hours desensitze you to it, so it does not go into the muscle.
Iron man has done one or two articles on it.
Like chicken I do not think its the best way to go.
But if any one can prove me wrong I will be happy to learn.

Budiak
02-23-2002, 10:40 AM
So I would get to eat 120 grams of protein in one meal...and 30 in the rest? Spread across 4-5 other meals? Oatmeal has more protein than that!
Cripes, I dont think I'd even be able to figger out what to eat for the other meals!

I start tomorrow.