PDA

View Full Version : I'm fat, but dont want to cut...

Eric Cartman
04-01-2007, 11:01 PM
I am not a weightlifing newbie, I gained a decent amount of muscle for a few years... but then I got mono and was in bed for 6 months.. I didn't want to lose the muscle I had gained so I still ate a lot of calories.. now I am fat as ****!!

I am able to lift weights again, and I want to gain even more muscle.. problem is now I really do look like Eric Cartman... if I go on a cut it could take me 6 months to lose all this weight.. I'd rather continue to bulk up and add to the great gains I made earlier...

So what do you think, is it dangerous for me to continue bulking, even if it is a REALLY CLEAN BULK? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks,

EC

booyah
04-01-2007, 11:41 PM
If you didn't lift, I don't think you "held on" to that muscle you acquired before you got mono...so you won't be "adding" to the gains you made. I could be wrong though.

mikesbytes
04-02-2007, 01:05 AM
If your concerned about your medical situation then you should seek expert advice, starting with your doctor.

JoeyCrack
04-02-2007, 04:51 AM
is this a joke?

markdk86
04-02-2007, 04:53 AM
Cut fattie.

zen
04-02-2007, 06:10 AM
is this a joke?

Yes!
I've heard of cases of mono lasting months, but usually it is never six months, and for much for much of the time, the patient or vicitm (lol) has a very sore and inflamed throat, and weight-loss is pronounced.

Coqui
04-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Follow your dreams. You can meet your goals. I am living proof. Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!!!

BigOldDad
04-02-2007, 08:10 AM
If you build muscle under all that fat then all you are going to do is look fatter. You can build all the muscle you want but until you shed the layers of fat above the muscle you ain't seein muscle.

Freakish
04-02-2007, 08:56 AM
id ask a doc before starting an overhaul. but, w/o lifting for 6 months i dont think you held the mass you had just by simply increasing your calories. if it were me, id cut.

Unholy
04-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Whats your height/weight/bf%?

n4rd0
04-02-2007, 09:33 AM
theres noo way you could have gotten fatter while you had mono ..

Eric Cartman
04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I didn't exactly have MONO, I had a similar illness like Epstein Barr, or some strange virus. I was just trying to put it in simple terms, but the point is I was in bed for 6 months, this isnt a joke... sorry if my first message was confusing, let me clarify:

I am 30 years old, currently weigh 201 lbs, and 6 ft 2 inches height, and you can really see the muscle that I have already developed. I have huge arms now, and you can see my pecs, and you can see all the muscle on my legs. So maybe I'm not as big as Eric Cartman, Im not obese... but I have a big tire of fat on my waste, partly from being sick, and partly it developed when I bulked the first time.

Im not really asking if it is medically safe to bulk again, I'm asking if it is possible to do a CLEAN BULK that would not add to this tire of fat... you would be able to see the muscle, trust me.. I can see it now! That is why I want to get bigger, I am addicted to this muscle growth... I realize I need to cut, but I was considering a 4 month bulk first..

Would appreciate more opinions..

BEEFCAKE! BEEFCAKE!!!

EC

Unholy
04-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Er, I hate to burst the bubble but 201 @ 6' 2" is not big. You either have very little muscle and a spare tire around your waist or you have muscle and are exaggerating how fat you are. I am an inch shorter then you an at 201 I would have to have 0% bodyfat.

n4rd0
04-02-2007, 02:08 PM
i'd say cut just bc its almost summer but its up to you

mikesbytes
04-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Cut. Lean and mean for your summer.

jester0773
04-02-2007, 11:06 PM
can't you just bulk and then go for a jog afterwards at the same time?

Eric Cartman
04-03-2007, 01:55 AM
How fat do you typically get on a bulk anyway? What waist size? Perhaps I did this wrong to begin with... can you give me an idea of how much fat is supposed to develop, what level is considered acceptable?

Clifford Gillmore
04-03-2007, 02:06 AM
201 at 6'2" is tiny. I'm 215 at 6'3", and I'm boderline ethiopian.

JoeyCrack
04-03-2007, 02:22 AM
this thread is useless without stats, what's your bodyfat %?

Warrior10
04-03-2007, 10:39 AM
How fat do you typically get on a bulk anyway? What waist size? Perhaps I did this wrong to begin with... can you give me an idea of how much fat is supposed to develop, what level is considered acceptable?

Cartman after bulking I put on quite a bit of fat as well.

You have to reach a point where you're dissatisfied with the amount of fat you put on. Don't mistake being fat for being 'big and bulky'.

The longer you delay, the longer cutting will take.

On the upside, once you start cutting and reach a point where you satisfied, you would look much leaner and even seem projected as "bigger" (due to the definition). If you'd like to bulk up after, a clean bulk can add size quickly since you'd been cutting before.

As for now though, it is my opinion that you cut.

Eric Cartman
04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Im not sure what my BF percentage is, but my waist is 41 inches...

My problem is that cutting takes 4 months, I will lose the fat, and then when I bulk, within 2 months the fat comes back. So then it takes another 4 months to lose the weight, etc... so it seems I need a year of cutting for just 6 months of bulking... is that normal?

If anyone can help me fix this ratio, Id appreciate it!

Unholy
04-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Hey man. Ok I am in the same boat as you. Now admittedly 41" is pretty big on the waist. Now 210 lbs is pretty light for someone that is 6'2". If you clean up your diet, start eating at or right below maintenance cals. Start lifting heavy with a good split you should recomp wonderfully.

mikesbytes
04-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Waist measurement is a good alternative measurement to knowing your actual body fat.

I'd be looking at cutting that 41" considerably. Its your choice.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-03-2007, 06:45 PM
I do a combination of body measurements (including waist), calipers, the mirror, and the scale. You'll know if any of these is off considerably while the others remain constant that something is not quite accurate.

mikesbytes
04-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Wouldn't mind getting my BF measured. Whats the recommended min / max range for a male ?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-03-2007, 07:45 PM
8-19% for guys.

Eric Cartman
04-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Yes, I have decided to cut!!!!

HOORAY!!!

... but when I get down to a decent BF or waist size, I don't just want to gain all the weight back again on the next bulk... that just becomes frustrating... how can I avoid that?

BEEFCAKE!!

EC

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Bulk slower.

Eric Cartman
04-04-2007, 03:18 PM
How? I can only lift weights and eat a lot of food, almost impossible for me to guess the exact calorie amount that will give me gains and no fat..

mikesbytes
04-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Eat less food and train hard. Keep an eye on your progress and adjust accordingly.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-04-2007, 09:22 PM
How? I can only lift weights and eat a lot of food, almost impossible for me to guess the exact calorie amount that will give me gains and no fat..Huh? You can't gain only muscle and zero fat. You can, however, gain muscle and minimal fat if you bulk slower. How? By tracking your calories. If you just eat everything in site as much as possible without any idea as to how much you're eating, you're going to get fat. You need some structure in your diet. If you don't like what you've experienced so far, make it a point to take 5-10 minutes out of your day to track everything you eat and adjust accordingly. Read the diet links in my sig if you haven't seen the links already. Be a little more strict with your diet.

Eric Cartman
04-05-2007, 01:30 AM
It is a good idea to track calories, there are several obstacles that I see however to your suggestion:

1. Could be very difficult to measure exact calories of everything you eat, especially if you are a normal person who grabs food at restaurants etc... or if your girlfriend or family cooks for you, or whatever.

2. Each day you burn a different amount of calories. You might workout and sleep on one day, and then on another day workout and do some walking and shoot pool, on another day you might not work out at all. The calorie requirements will be different for every single day!

Given these 2 facts, i don't see how it is possible to do this scientifically. So that is why I just ate everything in sight! Because I dont think this can be measured...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-05-2007, 02:41 AM
i don't see how it is possible to do this scientifically. So that is why I just ate everything in sight! Because I dont think this can be measured...And that is exactly why you're not seeing the results you want. You're going to have to develop a little self-control and discipline if you are seeking specific goals. Maybe even make some sacrifices if you have to. If you want this bad enough, you will make it happen. The only person who can change your body is you. You're eating everything in site because you just don't care and you don't want to track either and yet you're asking for advice on optimal dieting to gain minimal fat. You can't be lazy AND have the body you are searching for. It requires work, consistency, dedication, and persistence. Nothing should stand in your way of achieving what you want.

mikesbytes
04-05-2007, 04:44 AM
In the end, its your body and your life. You can choose to do whatever you want, just remember that you ain"t going to get good results, if you don"t put the effort in and that effort includes counting calories and counting energy expenditure.

There"s a lot of good advice in this thread.

Kyolked
04-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I must be less than ethiopian. 6'3" 190 :hide:

Eric Cartman
04-05-2007, 12:35 PM
I suppose it is possible to count calories of every single day, I will conceed that. That would probably just take discipline and refusing to eat out, etc..

But like I said, every day you burn different amount of calories, there is no way to measure that number. You do hundreds of different activities in a single day, each burns a different amount of calories. Sitting at this computer I might have burned some calories, when I walk to get the mail it will burn some, when I workout, etc... On a certain day my calorie requirement may be 2000, on another day 2500, or maybe 1800 or whatever...

So how can measuring calories help me? If you can't respond to this question, then your method isnt very valid...

EC

Unholy
04-05-2007, 12:37 PM
www.fitday.com to start tracking. and your average daily caloric requirements may not be exact but they generally stay within a pretty normal range unless you do something crazy like hike for 8 hours. If you eat 500 calories a day less then what you burn in the average day you will start losing weight. If you eat 500 above you will slowly gain weight.

offhegoes03
04-05-2007, 12:43 PM
It's really not that hard, I think you're making it tougher than it has to be.

3500 calories equals roughly a pound. The smartest way to bulk back up without gaining too much fat is to restrict yourself to gaining roughtly 1-2 lbs a week. Anything more and you're probably gaining more fat than you want. So for example, if you track your Calories religiously for 1 week and notice that you haven't gained or lost any weight, then that is what your maintenance Calories are, i.e. the amount of calories burnt by your basal metabolic rate, daily activities (lifting, walking, etc), and the energy lost just by consuming food. If you add an extra 400-500 Calories every day, over the course of a week, you will hopefully have gained a pound. If not, you might have to add another 200 or so Calories to each day and see if you gain weight after a week.

Now, to address your other questions. Your weight can fluctuate tremendously every day, so even if you burn an extra 200 Calories one day, as long as you are getting a surplus of Calories over the course of the week, you'll gain weight. So let's say your body burns 2600 Calories a day on average. If you take in 2600 Calories a day, you should stay at about the same weight. If you take in more (3100 Calories/day), you should roughly gain 1 pound a week. Let's say one day, you work out more than you usually do, let's say you burn 2800 Cals instead of 2600. You still are getting an excess of 3300 Calories over the course of the week, so that one day really doesn't influence it that much. If you look at it as day to day changes, you'll just drive yourself crazy. Track calories every day, but focus on weight gain/loss over the course of the week.

Davidelmo
04-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Lesson:

Bulking by "eating everything in sight" will get you fat quickly and take ages to diet off.

The others are right. You don't have to be EXACT with your calories, but you should know round about what you need to eat every day. You're right that your expenditure varies and you can't always determine the exact calories of every meal you eat, but you should always have an idea. If you're getting significantly fat after 2 months then you are clearly over-doing it.

Eric Cartman
04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Ok, great advice... next time I bulk I will count calories..

I suppose I should be counting calories during my cut, but I find cutting very easy. The reason cutting is easy is because there are very intuitive ways to get a calorie deficit... for instance, you eat only when you're hungry, you stop eating when you're NEARLY about to be full, you dont eat carbs at night, you do some exercise, and eat stuff that is healthy and low in sugar and fat...this is an easy formula that works...

As far as counting calories, I suppose I will need a scale to weigh all my pieces of chicken... and read all the labels.. and measure everything... I will keep you posted...

EC

Unholy
04-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Actually the cutting formula is a bit different then you think.

Track calories.

Cut daily maintenance calories by 15-20%

Get 1g protein per lb of LBM

Get .5g of mostly healthy fat per lb of LBM

The rest of the calories are less important. I recommend whole grains, green veggies etc. But you can technically eat donuts and as long as you dont go over your Maintenance - 15-20% then you will lose weight.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-06-2007, 01:53 PM
for instance, you eat only when you're hungry, you stop eating when you're NEARLY about to be full, you dont eat carbs at night, you do some exercise, and eat stuff that is healthy and low in sugar and fat...this is an easy formula that works...The carbs at night is a myth, the low fat is not healthy and is also a myth, and if you want to lose minimal muscle, you need to track your calories. You still aren't understanding the importance of diet and tracking. It is even more important on a cut. And like Unholy said, you need to be getting at least .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM. For more info on fat in your diet, read this ~> Mmmmm Fat! (http://tinyurl.com/2j9u9f)

And here's another link to check out ~> So you need help with your diet... (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=74607)

Eric Cartman
04-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Well I appear to have lost at least 4-5 lbs since this thread began... I was 202, now I'm consistently weighing in at 196 every day... I think my metabolism was so high that the change in diet had a pretty dramatic effect right off the bat... of course, you guys have theories about water retention... anyhow, its a good start..

EC

Unholy
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Great start indeed, keep it up!

Eric Cartman
04-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Well I'm now weighing in at 193. Is it possible to lose weight so fast? If this continues, I may decide to bulk when I reach 180. Or do you think that is too soon?

EC

TommyBoy
04-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Er, I hate to burst the bubble but 201 @ 6' 2" is not big. You either have very little muscle and a spare tire around your waist or you have muscle and are exaggerating how fat you are. I am an inch shorter then you an at 201 I would have to have 0% bodyfat.

That is freakin' tiny. I'm 6'0" 325lbs....you'll be fine dude.

If you clean up your diet, start eating at or right below maintenance cals. Start lifting heavy with a good split you should recomp wonderfully.
I agree.

You can't be lazy AND have the body you are searching for.
Damn.

mikesbytes
04-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Well I'm now weighing in at 193. Is it possible to lose weight so fast? If this continues, I may decide to bulk when I reach 180. Or do you think that is too soon?

EC

What will your BF % be at 180 ?

BIG NASTY BOY
04-12-2007, 08:53 PM
I am not a weightlifing newbie, I gained a decent amount of muscle for a few years... but then I got mono and was in bed for 6 months.. I didn't want to lose the muscle I had gained so I still ate a lot of calories.. now I am fat as ****!!

I am able to lift weights again, and I want to gain even more muscle.. problem is now I really do look like Eric Cartman... if I go on a cut it could take me 6 months to lose all this weight.. I'd rather continue to bulk up and add to the great gains I made earlier...

So what do you think, is it dangerous for me to continue bulking, even if it is a REALLY CLEAN BULK? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks,

EC

NO...NO...NO...You will gain muscle while dieitng down if you havent been training. Do not bulk up if you value your health!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-12-2007, 09:27 PM
NO...NO...NO...You will gain muscle while dieitng down if you havent been training. Do not bulk up if you value your health!I hope you're joking. :confused:

Eric Cartman
04-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Big Nasty Boy, what the hell are you talking about?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Just pretend the post isn't there. Maybe it will disappear.

seK
04-13-2007, 09:12 AM
NO...NO...NO...You will gain muscle while dieitng down if you havent been training. Do not bulk up if you value your health!

You mean this post...?

Eric Cartman
04-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Ok, I'm down to 190 now, about 39 inch waist... something is telling me to bulk, even though I haven't reached my goal waist... what criteria should I use to make this decision?

mikesbytes
04-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Ok, I'm down to 190 now, about 39 inch waist... something is telling me to bulk, even though I haven't reached my goal waist... what criteria should I use to make this decision?

34 inch waist would be a good target.

Eric Cartman
04-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Okay, but that might take another 3 months...

samj
04-21-2007, 06:43 AM
eat your low fat peanut butter and the weight will fall off! lol

mikesbytes
04-21-2007, 06:53 AM
eat your low fat peanut butter and the weight will fall off! lol

Low fat PB? does it actually exist?

samj
04-21-2007, 04:34 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=95805

Freakish
04-22-2007, 09:09 AM
natural PB(the staple), reduced fat PB(an option), natural w/ omega3 PB (my personal fave).

good fats, great protien/per serving.

bigred1974
04-23-2007, 04:55 PM
If you go to a gym get a good bmi done by a trainer. you should not have a 41 inch waist at 201lbs. ( Im 6-6 300lbs and have a 38 inch waist) they can also tell you what to work on

Eric Cartman
04-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Well now I have a 39 inch waist at 190 lbs, is that normal?

mikesbytes
04-23-2007, 11:52 PM
http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Does all that take into account LBM?

mikesbytes
04-24-2007, 02:25 AM
All calculators are inaccurate. This one is sensitive to your waist measurement, so its a dam sight better than simply height/weight which is useless for BB's and other athletes.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-24-2007, 03:10 AM
Well obviously. But it's a great deal better than the BMI alone...which would be completely useless. Lots of info to enter there.

mikesbytes
04-24-2007, 05:04 AM
Someone was saying, it might of been risk101 that under 15%BF you can see the outline of your stomach and under 12%BF you can see your 6 pack. I got 13.7%BF from that calculator which is consistant with the figures above, so the BF calculation seems to be working for in this case for me.

bradleykavin
04-25-2007, 06:01 PM
dude, your not fat. im 6'1 and weigh 260. thats fat

hockeytwo1
04-25-2007, 08:34 PM
i used to be a fatass get lean youll love it

Eric Cartman
05-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Down to 188 and 38 inch waist!

bigmoney
05-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Im fat and dont want to cut.....so I won't....VIVA LA BULK

Eric Cartman
10-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Update on this thread, I got down to 180, bulked back to 203, and now have cut back to 183... I have a 37.5 inch waist at 183 lbs...