PDA

View Full Version : Phil's Journal "The Journey"

Validus
04-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Ok, So I'm tired of lugging around all of this extra weight that I have been carrying for about a year thanks to my last bulk, and I'm very tired of cutting in vain and never fully reaching my goals, the result being more muscle lost than fat. Lets face it between college, a job, and the attempt to have some semblance of a social life where does my body fit in? This has been something I've had to wrestle with. Don't get me wrong, I've always kept in some sort of shape, I always make it to the gym just enough so that I am able to fool myself into thinking that I'm making a real effort. But I'm getting tired of all my Bull**** excuses of why I can't perform at the level of INTENSITY that I once did. Why I can't get to the gym every single day, why I can't eat right, and why I'm never gonna get the body that I want.
Procrastination is my enemy, and is the fuel for which my negativity feeds. Can't lift today I've got to write that paper I should have done a week ago, canít lift today I've got to work when I should have planned ahead, can't lift today all of the friends are going out..........BULL****! It is my hope that this journal will aid me in my Journey to not only get the body I want but to take control of my life again, to free me from the procrastination cycle that has overwhelmed it. I'M DONE PROCRASTINATING , I'M READY, .........................................THIS IS GONNA BE INTENSE!!!!

Here are some pictures that define what one year of slacking will do for you. I'm currently at 175 lbs. Forgive me for the quality I took them in a hurry. I'm Looking to drop about 15 lbs of solid fat. After such a time I want to get a great bulk going! 7 Weeks and counting now!

Chest Shot
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/schumacdaddy21/FrontTraps.jpg
Traps from behind/Back in general
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/schumacdaddy21/NicebackShot.jpg
Lat Spread
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/schumacdaddy21/CrappyLatSpread.jpg
Abbs....I know they're there somewhere?
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/schumacdaddy21/AbbsFront.jpg

pinky8713
04-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Hey buddy, it's good to see that you have gotten a journal going. I think it's going to help a lot. If i were you, i would post my fitday for everyday in here. It will help keep you on track.

Validus
04-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Today was good. 10 Hours of sleep!=Happy Phil. I got to the gym and had a pretty intense leg workout followed by a quick 300 meter swim.
I took in 1800 cals roughly with about 190 grams of protein. All in all a good day. Tommorrow I think I'll up my calls a little though.

Leg Day

Squat
(warm up sets not included)
10 reps at 185lbs
8 reps at 205lbs
6 reps at 225

Leg Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps with three plates on each side

Calf raises/using leg press machine
same weight three sets of 8-10

Thats my leg day and I know I need to throw in some more exercises. It's a mess right now but everything is at the beginning I'm hoping to have a good leg day put together soon. Any suggestions?

pinky8713
04-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Suggestions for your leg day? Well, it would depend on the rest of your routine. I'd suggest throwing in another nice compound lift. I'd go with some SLDL's, DB Lunges, front squats, or something of that nature.

I don't know your metabolism and i don't know how many calories you need to lose weight, but i don't see why you couldn't bump up the calories a bit to make for a slower, more beneficial cut. As long as you stay on track, you should still lose with a few hundred more calories, correct? I would shoot for 1lb a week if i were you.

Validus
04-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Chalk up another good day today aside from eating a BK Whopper I'm doing just fine and keeping my callories exactly where I want them. I upped a little bit today to about 2000. I've got a good 190 g of protein and a new blender making it all the better. Today's lift was chest/tris and it went great !

Bench Press 5x5 at 175lbs

Incline BP 3x8 at 60 lbs (normally I'd do this but I skipped today)

Standing Arnlolds 3x8-10 40lbs

Rear Delt Machine 90lbs resistance

Hanging Dips 3x10-15 Bodyweight

Tri Pulldowns (not sure of exact name) 3x8

pinky8713
04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I told you not to eat that Whopper. You son of a bitch.

Solid workout though bro. The benching looks strong, real strong actually. Hang in there.

mikesbytes
04-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Congrats on starting a journal Phil. All the best.

Was the Tri Pulldowns using a cable? Could of been this one: Cable Pushdown (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/CBPushdown.html)

Validus
04-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Congrats on starting a journal Phil. All the best.

Was the Tri Pulldowns using a cable? Could of been this one: Cable Pushdown (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/CBPushdown.html)

Thanks Mike appreciate the post. And yes that was the exercise I simply couldn't place it. Thanks

Validus
04-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Wow today is going great so far. I had a very very good back/bi work out today. My eating is staying on track and I'm feeling strong.

weight 172.9 lbs Down from 177 -after about two weeks of cutting

Deadlift
not including warm up sets
8 reps at 185 lbs
8 reps at 205 lbs
6 reps at 225 lbs
3 reps at 275 lbs

Seated Cable Rows
10 reps at 135 lbs
8 reps at 145 lbs
6 reps at 145 lbs

Shrugs
3x8-10 reps at 185 lbs

Hammer Curls
3x8-10 reps with 35 lbs db

Preacher Curls
2x8 Weight unknown

pinky8713
04-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Good workout man. You know the deal - Up the calories a little.

I see you're browsing around and posting more on the site haha. Good stuff.

Bruteman
04-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Life does have a way of sneeking in and using up all your time. Just have to make training part of your daily routine and make sure those around you know it's part of your daily routine also.

You seem to be all fired up and ready to do this, so I'll sit idly by and watch and cheer you on. And if you start to veer off track a little I'll find you and beat you sensless, or until you agree to get back on track. :D

Validus
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Life does have a way of sneeking in and using up all your time. Just have to make training part of your daily routine and make sure those around you know it's part of your daily routine also.

You seem to be all fired up and ready to do this, so I'll sit idly by and watch and cheer you on. And if you start to veer off track a little I'll find you and beat you sensless, or until you agree to get back on track. :D

HEY! Thanks for the post. Yeah beating the clock is really one of my biggest challenges but I'm doing great so far. I'm still just as fired up as I was a few days ago and I'm showing no signs of stopping. And yes if you see me veer off track you have my permission to find me and beat me sensless :bash: thanks a lot for the encouragement.

Validus
04-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Today = off day. Although, I may do some crosstraining and jump in the pool for a swim or something like that. Other than that I'm just worrying about keeping the calls where I want them.

Sleep- 8 hours- a little lower than I'd like it.
Goals= getting more sleep and upping squats tom. we'll see?

This friday I'm planning on posting some new pics even though It's only been a week/ 2weeks. I'd like to be able to look back and clearly be able to view my progress. Don't think I'll notice too much of a difference, after all I've only lost 3 lbs, but who knows?

Validus
04-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Ok here are some new pictures after two weeks of cutting. I know the first one is a little fuzzy but I think it still shows dramatic improvement when compared to the first abbs shot.
Abbs
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/schumacdaddy21/abbs4-6-07.jpg

Lat
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/schumacdaddy21/4-5-07005greatlat.jpg

Front Flex
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/schumacdaddy21/frontflex4-6-07.jpg

Side arm shot
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/schumacdaddy21/sideshot4-6-07.jpg

Validus
04-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Today I had a great workout.
Sleep= 9 hours

Workout-Leg Day
Weight-172.8 lbs Down from 177

Squats
Warm up sets not included
8x185
8x205
6x225
4x250

Calf Raises- on the leg press machine
10x270
12x270
15x270

Hack Squats
Warm up sets
8x225

The squatting really took it out of me today! Thats why the rest of my leg day lagged a little bit but I still got a great workout. The weight factor is great I'm exactly where I want to be down 4lbs in two weeks.

Validus
04-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Today Chest/Tris
5x5 at 175lbs -yes!!! I'm upping it soon...on a cut!!

Delts
Arnolds 3x8-10 40lbs
Rear Delt Machine 3x8 90lbs

Tris
Hanging dips 3x10 bodyweight
Standard Dips 2x15 45lbs

I kept this workout short because of my schedule today but I'll shrow in more lifts next time.

great workout but I messed up big time with my caloric intake. This was a sat night and a UFC Fight night none the less so I ended up eating/drinking a little too much. Well after two weeks I was sure to have at least one day I mess up on. Thats ok, I'm comming back at it twice as hard tom. My Back/Bi day's gonna be great and I plane to have a perfect diet for the rest of my cut. six weeks and counting. :strong:
Can't believe Mat Sera beat GSP!

Validus
04-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Today= Perfection

Deadlifts went up and I got a perfect 4 for 275lbs on my last set!

Chinups
2 sets 10 reps at bodyweight
Seated Cable Rows
3x8-10 at 130lbs
Deadlifts
8x205
6x225
4x275

Hammer curls
2x8-10 reps with 35lbs dumbells

after my workout I jumped in the pool for a quick 500 meter swim.

Validus
04-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Today=off day

This is a picture taken today.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/schumacdaddy21/3-4-09-07.jpg

This second one is when I started.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/schumacdaddy21/AbbsFront.jpg

Do a side by side comparison.

Validus
04-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Great day today. Diet=perfect Workout=perfect

Leg Day

Squats
Not including warmup sets
8 reps by 205lbs
8 reps by 225lbs
5 reps by 275! gone up by one from last week!

Leg Press
3x8-10 at 270 lbs

Calf Raises
3x10-12 reps at 270lbs

:strong: I'm still going strong!!! I'll weigh in this weekend and I hope to see progress.

pinky8713
04-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Nice squatting buddy. Keep it up.

Validus
04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Today calories were a little high I ended up cheating alittle bit with some cookie dough ice cream. Ah well, as angry as I am I can't change the past only the future. So I'll keep pushing forward.

weight 172.3lbs down from last weigh in !!!!!

chest/tris

Flat bench
5x5 at 185lbs up 10 lbs from last chest/tri day!!
Incline Dumbells
3x8-10 with 60lbs dumbells up by 10 lbs !!!

Arnolds
3x8-10 40 lbs dumbells
Rear Delt Machine
3x8-10 90lbs resistance

Hanging Dips
3x10 body weight

Tri Cable Pulldowns
3x8-10 don't remember the exact weight so I won't estimate.

All in all a fairly productive day I'm still loosing weight steadily I just have to put more focus on my diet.

Validus
04-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Today workout was cut short cause I didn't get up early enough and had to get to school. It still went well though.

All weight remained the same.

Back/Bi Day

Calories are going great so far.

Validus
04-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Today's going good I took a few days off just to recover a little bit. I had to make a trip up to wisconsin so that took a few days out of my cut but I'm back at it and on my way to the gym right now.
I was Really Really excited since I set a new bench record 225lbs!!!! Since the last time I maxed out I could only get 200lbs for one i'm feeling pretty good. I'll post today's workout later on.

Todays workout Chest/Tris/Shoulders

Bench Press
5x5 at 185lbs

Incline Dumbells
3x8 with 60lbs db

Dips
3x10 at bodyweight

Arnolds
3x6-8 40lbs db

Rear Delt Machine
3x8 at 120lbs

mikesbytes
04-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Today's going good I took a few days off just to recover a little bit. I had to make a trip up to wisconsin so that took a few days out of my cut but I'm back at it and on my way to the gym right now.
I was Really Really excited since I set a new bench record 225lbs!!!! Since the last time I maxed out I could only get 200lbs for one i'm feeling pretty good. I'll post today's workout later on.

Well done Validus. Doesn't it feel great to break you PB.

Validus
04-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Well done Validus. Doesn't it feel great to break you PB.

It felt amazing! Thanks Mike

Validus
04-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Today=off day I was up all night writing a ten page paper and I'm a little tired out so I'll leave deadlifts for tom. Plus the legs are feeling alittle sore and I don't want to push that to far. Looking forward to a good day in the gym tom.

mikesbytes
04-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Today=off day I was up all night writing a ten page paper and I'm a little tired out so I'll leave deadlifts for tom. Plus the legs are feeling alittle sore and I don't want to push that to far. Looking forward to a good day in the gym tom.

U slacker

Validus
04-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Today was great.

Perfect callories

Perfect workout

All lifts remained the same but i'm feeling great!!!

Validus
04-20-2007, 10:01 PM
U slacker

HA HA Yeah i'll admit I slacked a little for that one day but my grade in this class determines whether or not I can go to Michigan State or UW Madison so I don't feel that guilty :)

Validus
04-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Granted I havn't posted my last several workouts but I have been workign out. My diet is very clean and I'm feeling great. I was very pleased because at least with my bench press I'm seeing tremendous improvement.
I put up a new max at 225lbs and my regular set is now 190lbs 5x5 which is fantastic for me. Thats up from 175lbs 5x5 just a few weeks ago! Fat loss keeps on going slow but steady. I've just got to stay dedicated to my journal.

Cirino83
04-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Nice workouts...great progress. Congrats with the PR on bench.

Guido
04-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Nice journal so far. Where are you at, BTW? You seem to know Pinky, so I'm assuming you are from northern IL? You guys should plan on attending our WBB Chicago get-together in July.

Validus
04-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Nice journal so far. Where are you at, BTW? You seem to know Pinky, so I'm assuming you are from northern IL? You guys should plan on attending our WBB Chicago get-together in July.

Yeah me and Pinky are good friends and he was talking to me about attending the Chicago get together, I think we just might. It sounds like it would be a blast!!!

Bruteman
04-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Nice bench PR. Don't worry about slackin' on posting workouts. As long as you are still doing them we can overlook it. ;)

Validus
04-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Nice bench PR. Don't worry about slackin' on posting workouts. As long as you are still doing them we can overlook it. ;)

Ha ha thanks man, yeah I always feel shi@#Y when I dont' post my workout in my journal but have no fear I'm still doing them. One of my main goals is to loayally post in the journal. The thing that I'm most impressed with is the fact that I'm making great gains on a cut? I never thought you could gain this much on a cut? good stuff!!!

Today=off day Getting plenty of rest. preparing for a good leg day tomorrow

I really want to work on my squat form tomorrow. I never really payed much attention to squats when I first started lifting (I know please hold your comments haha) so they've always lagged behind my other lifts. I'm really working on bringing my legs back up in sync with the rest of my lifts!! we'll see what happens.

mikesbytes
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Come on Phil, post those workouts !

pinky8713
04-25-2007, 10:12 PM
I think your legs are already up to par with the rest of you. Your legs are strong man. You seem to think i have this godly squat, when you're not far behind at all. You can always keep working on form though. Nothing wrong with that. Only if you want, the next time we lift together, i could help you some more with your form. You just gotta take it real light, and work on it that way. Like i said, it's already pretty decent. You just have to take it light, and get used to squatting lower.

Validus
04-26-2007, 12:14 AM
I think your legs are already up to par with the rest of you. Your legs are strong man. You seem to think i have this godly squat, when you're not far behind at all. You can always keep working on form though. Nothing wrong with that. Only if you want, the next time we lift together, i could help you some more with your form. You just gotta take it real light, and work on it that way. Like i said, it's already pretty decent. You just have to take it light, and get used to squatting lower.

Dude hate to break it to you but your squat form is Godly! But maybe you're right about the whole strength thing. We need to plan a few more workouts on my leg day just so you can observe my form I think I probobly can handle the weight if I've got you there letting me know how my forms looking. Thanks man

Validus
04-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Today=Leg Day I'm doing a late night leg workout. Still have to get more cals in me but I'll try and get all this done before midnight.

K just got home from the gym I figured I should just edit this post instead of dong a new one.

My lifts were fantastic!! I'm making huge strides with my squat form I went really low and had the perfect back arch. My leg press has gotten too easy with just three plates on each side so next time I'm gonna up it. I upt the weight for calf raises to four plates on each side of the leg press machine. So all in all a good work out.

pinky8713
04-26-2007, 11:28 PM
You got it man. Let me know how the workout goes.

Hey man, if your mom didn't tell you yet, i think my phone charger is at your house still. I'll have to swing by and get it tomorrow.

By the way, my eating was good today. After this last shake, i'm at 4250 calories, 310g protein.

Validus
04-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Wow today was great!
Back/Bi day My deadlifts went well and I ended with 4 reps at 275lbs with really good form.

I really think I'm putting on a lot of muscle because my lifts just keep going up and I'm noticing my entire body really tightening up. I'm really working on taking this cut nice and slow there's no reason to rush. I only want fat loss and that's what I think I'm having. So far I weigh 171 lbs thats down from 178!!

bschatz88
05-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Hey Phil! Good to see you've got a journal going. Keep on strong man.

Validus
05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey thanks Brian!! Anywhey I'm done with finals so it's time to get back in the saddle. I took about two weeks off and I've definitely lost some gains and I'm looking a little flabier but I'm starting out again and this time no more interuptions. I'll post my workout tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll start out with chest/tris.

Bruteman
05-10-2007, 07:16 AM
You taking any classes this summer, or making a clean break and resting the old brain?

bschatz88
05-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Let's see some workouts Phil.

By the way, Pinky said you were planning on getting a membership at Cardinal, I think I'm going in there next Monday to do the same thing.

mikesbytes
05-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeh Phil