PDA

View Full Version : How much Protein at one time

Angler
04-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Can your body use up?

Iím drinking protein shakes to try to get enough protein in me to build up. What is the maximum amount your body can process at a time? Should I be making 25gr shakes or 125gr shakes? Or is that just a waste of time and protein?

By night time I might not have reached my protein goal for the day. So whatís the maximum amount your body can use in a single serving/meal?

Thank you

Jay

Unholy
04-02-2007, 09:55 AM
I shoot for 50-75g in a shake. The great think about a bedtime shake is that you will be sleeping for a solid 8 hours before you eat again. So its always better to have too much then too little.

Freakish
04-02-2007, 09:59 AM
depends on the type of protien you intake. some of them process slower than others allowing you to take more in one sitting. for me, i usually take b/t 25-30g immediataely post workout, and then supp that with a meal.

RedSpikeyThing
04-02-2007, 10:06 AM
There is no "upper limit" that your body can handle. Eat as much as you want.

Progress
04-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Too many variables to consider. Also, don't lose sight that protein is never wasted.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=69317&highlight=protein+expensive

Angler
04-02-2007, 12:36 PM
So what youíre saying is if I wanted to consume 500gr of protein in a day my body could process it all?

Just read the other post and a couple more i found. Now I'm :scratch:

Let me try this again. How much protein could my body use for muscle rebuilding and growth in one day? Iím doing the WBB1. Iím 6í1Ē 187lbs. My goal is to add 15lbs or so of muscle by July. Thatís like .8lbs a week I need to put on.

I was trying to get at least 2775 Cal, 93 Fat, and 300 Pro.
I also run a few miles a couple times a week.
Was doing this before working out but was told to only run on off days if at all. I walk at a steep angle for 5 minutes prior to working out now so not to burn to much.

Jay

Unholy
04-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Yea. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Progress
04-02-2007, 01:25 PM
As long as you eat at or above 1.5 grams of protein/lb of LBM none of this really matters. Just do that.

Unreal
04-02-2007, 02:06 PM
.8lbs a muscle a week? Even on a large dose of AAS you would be lucky to get that with a great routine and solid diet.

Unholy
04-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Hmm. Sound like your cals are low. You are skinny, 2775 cals/day is nothing. Shoot for 1-1.5g protein per lb of LBM and .5g fat per lb of LBM. after that it doesn't really matter too much where the cals come from. It's always a better idea to eat clean/healthy but as long as you have your protein/healthy fats covered it really comes down to what works best for you.

Angler
04-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Hmm. Sound like your cals are low. You are skinny, 2775 cals/day is nothing. Shoot for 1-1.5g protein per lb of LBM and .5g fat per lb of LBM. after that it doesn't really matter too much where the cals come from. It's always a better idea to eat clean/healthy but as long as you have your protein/healthy fats covered it really comes down to what works best for you.

Thank you guys.

.8lbs a week is high? What is a realistic gain? Iím seeing results already. I was 183 2 weeks ago. Iím 187 now. First weight after morning recycling.

I am very skinny on the bottom half. No extra meat on my legs at all. Top half is looking good. I have always had (same as Dad) skinny girly legs. I could use 5lbs on each leg easy. Iíll have to take some measurements and follow my gain.

Unholy
04-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Sounds like a plan. Dont be too concerned about numbers as far as weight is concerned. If you have skinny legs make sure you are squating/deadlifting/SLDL etc. Bump the cals up a bit. Eat eat eat. Sleep. Lift heavy and the gains will come.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-02-2007, 03:25 PM
There is no upper limit to how much protein you can have at one time. Your body will use what it needs over the course of the entire day for both muscle and millions of other processes in the body, and it will convert/break down the protein that it doesn't use or need into other macros, as well as a few other ending processes. It doesn't matter. Your body is very resilient and amazing. It will use exactly what it needs. Just always make sure to drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.

Unreal
04-02-2007, 03:26 PM
.8lbs of weight a week isn't bad, but it won't be all muscle.

Angler
04-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks again guys.

SQUATS tonight.

Sore ass tomorrow.:nod:

Zoolander
04-09-2007, 02:26 AM
I'm a sports scientist/biochemist. The general values we use to maximise recovery after resistance training for a post training meal are

CHO= 1 g/kg body weight
Protein: 30% of CHO intake
Fat: just focus on minimising.

So if you weight 100kg (just a nice round number)

Your shake would be

100 g CHO
30g protein
lets say 10 g fat

Zoolander
04-09-2007, 02:27 AM
If you are talking about how much protein you can absorb in one meal. Then I would say that 35-40g is about the upper limit for most.Test it out. Take 75g and see if you get gas.

RedSpikeyThing
04-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Then I would say that 35-40g is about the upper limit for most.
Do you have any references for this?

Alex.V
04-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Do you have any references for this?

He might, but chances are they're references to theory, not fact.

Holto
04-09-2007, 03:54 PM
If you are talking about how much protein you can absorb in one meal. Then I would say that 35-40g is about the upper limit for most.Test it out. Take 75g and see if you get gas.

Are you suggesting the amino's would pass through the GI tract?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
If you are talking about how much protein you can absorb in one meal. Then I would say that 35-40g is about the upper limit for most.Test it out. Take 75g and see if you get gas.No...just no. tuttut

And I guess I've already disproved your theory because I've had 100+ grams at one time before with no issues. *gasp*

Slim Schaedle
04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
:lurk:

Vapour Trails
04-11-2007, 05:17 PM
It's all absorbed, but huge protein meal (well in excess of what is needed for immediate tissue repair/growth) just means your body is going to pass a lot of nitrogen. Basically reducing protein to merely a energy source rather than nitrogen source. Three hundred grams of protein for a 187 pounder is just a waste of expensive protein.

majsi98
04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
says who?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-16-2007, 02:33 PM
It's all absorbed, but huge protein meal (well in excess of what is needed for immediate tissue repair/growth) just means your body is going to pass a lot of nitrogen. Basically reducing protein to merely a energy source rather than nitrogen source. Three hundred grams of protein for a 187 pounder is just a waste of expensive protein.Please explain why it is "wasted".

Angler
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
I am getting a little gasy at times. Was wondering if the protein was the source. I stink so bad I had to chain my toilet down. Also was getting a little constipated. Which is not the norm for me. Iím upping my fiber intake and eating a few apples a day to help that out. Seems to be working fine.

Just wish I wasnít still confused with this protein intake. More good or bad? Really donít care about wasting protein or money. But I would like the most benefits.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-16-2007, 02:46 PM
How much water are you drinking? And yes...fiber will help a lot. You should eventually work yourself up to at least 25-30 grams of fiber a day.

Angler
04-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Itís ten of 9am and Iím on my forth 16oz water. I drink a few gal a day easy. From what everyone around me says Iím bouncing off the walls 24/7 if that makes a difference. Very hyper and active.