PDA

View Full Version : A new routine.

booyah
04-02-2007, 06:52 PM
This is a new routine I'm going to give a try. My goals are strength AND athleticism. I'm also trying to get a 30 inch vert.

I must give credit to Kiaran for helping me with this as I got this from looking at his journal along with his help through PMs. Although I've changed some things to cater to my goals.

The basic format is this every workout contains the following:

-1 heavy lift (bench, squat, deadlift)
-1 supporting lift (same body part as the heavy lift but usually a variation.)
-1 accessory lift (biceps, triceps, just to keep the looks goin :))
-crossfits

Crossfits are HIGH intensity practical body movements designed to keep the heart rate up and keep my butt in shape. They shouldn't be the same motion/muscle group as the heavy lift you've done that day. IE on bench day, pushups should not be done. At this point I'm still toying with these as I've never worked these into a weightlifting routine, but tentatively this is what the 3day a week program will look like:

DAY 1:
-Bench press (4 sets)
-incline DB press (3 sets)
-Biceps(3 sets)
-Crossfits(Box jumps, Burpees, vertical jumps)

DAY 2:
-Squats (4 sets)
-lunges (3 sets)
-shoulder DB press (3 sets)
-Crossfits(1 minute heavy bag, medicine ball work, abs)

DAY 3:
-Deadlift (4 sets)
-dead hang pullups (3 sets)
-triceps(3 sets)
-Crossfits(To be determined, but mainly leg work and pushups)

This is *tentatively* what things are going to look like, I will change things as needed.

As a note, I can guarantee you that this journal will be quite dissappointing as compared to Kiaran's for a number of reasons, namely A. his home gym is cooler than my entire house, B. I don't have a camera to take pics, C. I won't be using a sledgehammer (yet), and D. at 6' 165 lbs, I'm not nearly as strong as him(yet!).

Ammotroop
04-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Kirian is def a good guy! I will be keeping track of your journal as I want to get more into crossfit! Good luck.

booyah
04-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks for checking my journal out.

Day 1 completed

Bench:
115lbs x 12
135lbs x 10
145lbs x 8
155 lbs x 6

incline DB press
50's x 10
60's x 8

Could not get 65's up on my own.

Biceps
3x 8 all at 30 lb dumbells (hammer curls

Crossfit:
3 sets of :
10x 31 inch box jumps
10x burpees

I barely made it through the box jumps, and the burpees were painful. But I felt very worked afterwards. Day 1 was quite fun I must say!

booyah
04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I am supposed to be heavy lifting legs today but I tweaked my knee last week in the squats and my right knee is still bothersome. I'm going to take it day by day, which sucks seeing as how I JUST started this routine, but I rather take it slow and cautious then do worse harm.

Cirino83
04-04-2007, 02:30 PM
As far as not getting the db's up on your own, I had the same problem but people suggested either curling them and sitting down or my new favorite is....put them on your thighs and kind of throw them up with your legs. Works for me but I'm sure the way I explained it makes zero sense.

booyah
04-04-2007, 06:40 PM
As far as not getting the db's up on your own, I had the same problem but people suggested either curling them and sitting down or my new favorite is....put them on your thighs and kind of throw them up with your legs. Works for me but I'm sure the way I explained it makes zero sense.

thanks for the tip...

What I do is set em on my knees and count to 3 and throw my arms back and kick my knees up at the same time. Problem is I'm long and lanky and get horrible leverage! hah

Ammotroop
04-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Where you at????

booyah
04-07-2007, 02:09 AM
thanks for keeping tabs on me.

Long story short, grandmother (82 yrs old) was in hospital earlier this week, nothing too major just hernia. Immobility while at the hospital caused blood clots. She got up to use the bathroom, blood clots broke up and moved to her lungs and dropped her blood pressure to around 40/20 and she nearly died. That was Wed. afternoon. Since then I've spent quite a bit of time over in the hospital, haven't slept or eaten much and so I've probably dropped a pound or two, but Grandma's doing much better and that's what counts.

Will probably hit the gym tomorrow, start my routine back up on chest and then hopefully by the time monday rolls around my knee will be better. I think I need to stop doing my leg work on the concrete in my backyard because the shock must take a huge toll on my knees.

Ammotroop
04-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Yo, hope your grandma gets better man. Family comes first. Lifting may help take your mind off things though. Do what is best for you bro!

Kiaran
04-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey buddy, very sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hope all goes well.

The routine looks good, and I feel honored that you are using my routine concepts. Very cool. Take it easy on the box jumps at first, 31" is pretty high to start with. Try out some cheapo "Ace Knee" sleeves from Walgreens or something. You can see me wearing some in my pics on my journal for squats. They make a world of difference for stiff/sore/injurred knees during deads and squats. They just add a little support and keep your knees warm after you get going. All in all, looking forward to watching your progress!

booyah
04-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks for all your guys sentiments. My family and I appreciate it. Grandma is doing better and better with each day and my knee is feeling better to, but not all the way there.

I've maintained my upper body workouts but am rather upset I can't keep my legs up there with it.

booyah
04-15-2007, 10:27 PM
decided to just rest everything. my knee is better but still not there unfortunately.

Grandma is safe and much more healthy at our house for now and we're taking care of her.

Tomorrow I'm going to get back into things. And we'll see how my legs are for the crossfits.

I'm weighing 165 right now. so I'm up a little over 20 lbs from when i started 4 months ago.

booyah
05-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Okay so it's been about a week and a half since I've been in the gym. Grandma is doing better, though she requires constant care. It's okay though, we love her a lot.

I have been struggling with some pain in my lowerback for a few months now. I think it's because of the constant sitting I'm always doing between at home on computer, driving to/from school, sitting through classes, etc. I went to try and do squats again thinking that my knee is better a week ago, and I end up going home with horrid pain in my back. I have been spending most of my time laying in bed (when not at school) and it's gotten a lot better.

This last month has been full of obstacles between grandma and my own injuries and not doing particularly well in school. I have my last final on tuesday, shouldn't be too bad, I already did my tough ones. I look forward to this summer because although I work full time in the summers, my schedule remains the same. 8-5 everyday. I'm hoping I can put on 1 lb per week.

booyah
05-14-2007, 02:51 PM
I go to see the doctor tomorrow for my back. hopefully he can tell me whats up.

In the meantime i've just been going to the gym to do pullups and bench. It really bugs me because right now I need to be deadlifting and squatting rather than benching.

I think my goal this summer to tackle is to get up to a solid 170-175 lbs. which would be around 1 lbs a week.

I'm hoping to bench 175x6 (right now is 165x4), and get my squat and DL up to the 2 bills.