PDA

View Full Version : Where do my Deadlifts lack?

1mmort4l
04-03-2007, 01:40 AM
My Deadlifts are ok, but still comparatively behind my bench.
I think i should be pulling around the 440 mark, and the road up seems to be taking a long time.
A few months back, i was stuck at 330, and after doing a couple of weeks of spead Deads, i slowly went up and peaked with a 395 in comp.
I used a belt and Knee wraps in comp. I actually thought i would only get 375.

Anyway, i had a week off weights, and went back to the gym with Deads with what i thought would be about 85%. I used no knee wraps this time, and stood off two mats. I could only manage 1 rep of the 340 i had on the bar, and had to drop the weight more, to 320. I got my 5 sets of 3 reps, but struggled a little. this was weird, that weight should have been cake..

Anyway, my main question is, where do i need to improve my lift?
My weak point is off the floor. If i can get it off the floor, it is very easy after that. I have been standing on mats, to increase the ROM, to hopefully increase the lower part of my lift, but im not sure if that's right.

What else can i do?
I think my GM's are weak, so is this a weak Hamstring issue?
My GM's i only do 5 reps of 165 lbs, but i go very deep. My hams are very sore for the next few days...

Thanks guys.
Sorry for the long read.. :whiner:

Progress
04-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Sounds like you're right with the hammy comment. Once I started doing RDLs, GMs and pull-throughs, my dead went up considerably.

Have you considered switching up your stance (conv./sumo)?

Guido
04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
If your weak point is off the floor, I would also try doing rack squats from a fairly low height. They definitely have helped other people I know with their initial pull off the floor. The key is to use your deadlift width stance on the rack squats. Other than that, definitely keep doing the pulls off mats, SLDL's or RDL's, and Good Mornings. Once my good morning strength went up, my deadlift strength went up accordingly.

Rock Steady
04-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Do you do RDLs? Just another way to work your hamstrings that more closely resembles the movement of a conventional deadlift.

RhodeHouse
04-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Try Olympic Style Squats or a Power Squat machine, if you have access to one. Don't pull every week, either. DLing is very tough on the CNS. I would consider pulling every 3rd week at the most. Keep hitting GM's hard. try to mimic your DL stance and form as much as possible. Also, Box Squats will help. Sit on the box, pause 2 seconds, and explode up. (Westside's DE) Hope something helps. SFW!

Guido
04-03-2007, 03:45 PM
^ I've found that not pulling every week works for some but not all lifters. All other training schemes being equal, I found that my deadlift improved very little when I stopped DLing every week. Once I started DLing every week again, it shot up again. The only thing that changed between training cycles was deadlifting frequency. I would perhaps second your advice with the caveat that you should not deadlift HEAVY (or near maximal) every week, and should limit ME deadlifting to every 2 or 3 weeks at most.

betastas
04-03-2007, 05:16 PM
GMs play a big role. Definitely work the GMs hard. Reverse hyper and GHRs really helped me a lot too. I'll do GMs every week, but I'll only pull now and then. It depends on what works for you.

Levantar
04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
SLDL. Make your lower back and hammies strong and that should help.

Joshua Davis
04-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Can you take a vid of the lift?

1mmort4l
04-04-2007, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the replies guys..

Sounds like you're right with the hammy comment. Once I started doing RDLs, GMs and pull-throughs, my dead went up considerably.

Have you considered switching up your stance (conv./sumo)?

I may look into Sumo, but i just cant seem to feel comfortable with dropping that much weight so close to my feet.. :(

If your weak point is off the floor, I would also try doing rack squats from a fairly low height. They definitely have helped other people I know with their initial pull off the floor. The key is to use your deadlift width stance on the rack squats. Other than that, definitely keep doing the pulls off mats, SLDL's or RDL's, and Good Mornings. Once my good morning strength went up, my deadlift strength went up accordingly.

Thanks Guido, rack squats from low would definitely be a good idea! I will build something for it... :thumbup:

Try Olympic Style Squats or a Power Squat machine, if you have access to one. Don't pull every week, either. DLing is very tough on the CNS. I would consider pulling every 3rd week at the most. Keep hitting GM's hard. try to mimic your DL stance and form as much as possible. Also, Box Squats will help. Sit on the box, pause 2 seconds, and explode up. (Westside's DE) Hope something helps. SFW!

No power squat machine for me, but i do squat with a somewhat olympic style squat.. Box squats will also be a good idea i think. I have tried them, although they feel a little odd..

Can you take a vid of the lift?

I have an old vid here when i was maxing at 330. This was from a couple months ago, and looking at it now, my form needed some adjustments, i think i have that down now though..
Old deadlift vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4CohufP8qM&mode=user&search=)

Also, lone more question... for deep GM's what do you all think is a decent weight to be using for reps of say 5..? For a 180 lber..

thanks again..

Clifford Gillmore
04-04-2007, 06:50 AM
70% of your max squat is pretty much standard as a good GM, with a neutral back. When the gym gear gets here we'll do some killer lower lessions, hope fully I'll have the bands and we can get some band pull throughs going :)

My squat is growing again too, I'll show you my new routine and see if you can work around it.

RhodeHouse
04-04-2007, 03:45 PM
^ I've found that not pulling every week works for some but not all lifters. All other training schemes being equal, I found that my deadlift improved very little when I stopped DLing every week. Once I started DLing every week again, it shot up again. The only thing that changed between training cycles was deadlifting frequency. I would perhaps second your advice with the caveat that you should not deadlift HEAVY (or near maximal) every week, and should limit ME deadlifting to every 2 or 3 weeks at most.

People do respond differently, for sure. When I pulled my 750, my best gym lift was 680 and I only pulled twice in my 14 week training cycle. The other time I pulled, I didn't even work up to my openner weight. For me, that seems to work. The bottom line is, you have to experiment and see what works best for you.

Dinosaur
04-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Platform deadlifts will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcD8uXTE8Lw

Hazerboy
04-07-2007, 04:29 PM
The heavier your deadlift max is (overall or compared to your bodyweight), the more taxing its going to be on your CNS and thus the less you'd want to lift the rull ROM, heavy, or at all. Several elite powerlifters only lift heavy on deadlifts once a month or every other week (some not even till competitions!). For lifters such as these, heavier assistance exercises (rack squats, box squats, GM, etc) are the staple of their training.

While these assistance exercises are great for any lifter, for an intermediate lifter I'd say the best way to improve your deadlift would be to deadlift, with frequency. If your weakness is off the floor, try this 6 week program or one like it:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/359/

You can use its principles for about any lift. Its added a good 25 lbs to my max, though I've always been a pretty natural deadlifter--I've yet to hit any serious plateaus (Now squats on the other hand...).

Progress
04-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Platform deadlifts will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcD8uXTE8Lw

That's disgusting. :omg:

TeamstockyScott
04-07-2007, 04:57 PM
try this 6 week program or one like it:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/359/

You can use its principles for about any lift. Its added a good 25 lbs to my max, though I've always been a pretty natural deadlifter--I've yet to hit any serious plateaus (Now squats on the other hand...).

It's a tweaked version of Pavel's method. I really like pyramid sets because it warms you up for your 1rm and it's a mental trick that you're improving on every set. I haven't done the prescribed rest periods or percentages like this but I can see how it would help by improving density.