PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol for loosing weight?

Angler
04-03-2007, 05:52 AM
Iím wondering what the hell happened to me. I have been eating lots. Drinking protein shakes like crazy. Gained about 4 lbs in 2 weeks while working out. Yesterday I was 187 first thing in the morn. Skip eating last night and drank much.:alcoholic

This morning Iím 183??? WFT? Does 12 shots of Patron and 9 Heinekens burn fat?

A few months ago before I started working out I would gain 5 lbs from a night of partying. What gives? I checked and 3.5hrs of vigorous sex doesnít burn that many calories. Could I have pissed away that much?

ShockBoxer
04-03-2007, 06:01 AM
Ignore day to day fluctuations... they're normal if you have a healthy metabolism. Track week to week fluctuations and averages.

But suffice to say 'no' the alcohol isn't doing anything positive for losing weight.

greekboy80
04-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Iím wondering what the hell happened to me. I have been eating lots. Drinking protein shakes like crazy. Gained about 4 lbs in 2 weeks while working out. Yesterday I was 187 first thing in the morn. Skip eating last night and drank much.:alcoholic

This morning Iím 183??? WFT? Does 12 shots of Patron and 9 Heinekens burn fat?

A few months ago before I started working out I would gain 5 lbs from a night of partying. What gives? I checked and 3.5hrs of vigorous sex doesnít burn that many calories. Could I have pissed away that much?

Nah man, drinking dehydrates you, thats why it dropped down low. Trust me you didn't lose any fat by drinking. You might hAve lost "weight" but it was all water, and you actually didn't burn any calories when you drink. Alcohol is actually a toxin and when you drink you body ceases all normal day-to-day function and focuses(sp?) all energy and effort to getting rid of the alcohol in the body. So, when you are drinking you body basicly shuts down and burns nothing but alcohol to get the "poison" out of your system.

Cirino83
04-03-2007, 08:11 AM
12 shots and 9 beers and up at 730 am....how's your morning.

shootermcgavin7
04-03-2007, 08:23 AM
As has already been mentioned, it is water weight.

Angler
04-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Iím Irish and Italian.:shoot:
Drinking has been in my family since they invented rocks.

Only drink a couple times a month or so and never at home. Went to bed last night at 1:30am and was up by 5am with no alarm. 5hrs sleep is my max since I was about 10. Figure Iíve lived at least another life compared to most.:p

I know alcohol depletes the system. Eats up vitamin ďBísĒ in you. I also know from brewing that brewers yeast is the most powerful vitamin B on the planet. Taken before bed after a night of drinking helps big time. Youíll never wake up with a headache.

Drinking might not be the healthiest thing I can do. But with a wife and 4 kids it does help me not climb the tower.:evillaugh

McIrish
04-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Iím Irish and Italian.:shoot:
Drinking has been in my family since they invented rocks.

Careful there, Angler. I'm Irish, too, and I don't have a problem with drinking. Don't convince yourself that you should just because of your heritage or you're on a one-way bus to alcoholic city. Granted, one night is nothing, but don't make a habit of it, k? It's not a pretty result.

I know alcohol depletes the system. Eats up vitamin ďBísĒ in you. I also know from brewing that brewers yeast is the most powerful vitamin B on the planet. Taken before bed after a night of drinking helps big time. Youíll never wake up with a headache.

AFAIK, alcoholic hangover is nothing more than dehydration in the brain (combined with the aftereffects of congeners in your brain) and has little do with a vitamin deficiency.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-03-2007, 12:00 PM
http://health.howstuffworks.com/hangover.htm

:)

(very informative)

Angler
04-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the concern Irish. Not an issue at all.

Iím only addicted to crack. The vertical kind.:eek:

rk77
04-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Its funny you mention that. Friday I'm 166. I get hammered friday and saturday and eat like **** (taco bell, bergers, hot dogs, chips, etc.) I weight in today and I'm down to 162 and my lifts werent not affected at all.

Scooter
04-03-2007, 12:53 PM
The lowest I've ever weighed (when tracking it) was the morning after puking. :drooling:

Not only did I get rid of my calories the night before, but I also lost all my water weight due to dehydration. I wouldn't recommend it tho.

Angler
04-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Back to 184 this morn. Didn't think it would go up to much after my squating last night. Dam my legs ore feeling it. I was a puddle when I was done woking out. LOVE IT!

Zoolander
04-09-2007, 01:22 AM
You guys might be on the right track about it being water weight lost. Alcohol, as you probably already know, inhibits a hormnone called anti-diuretic hormone (ADH). This hormone prevents water loss via the kidneys. So when you drank you inhibited this hormone and hence lost more water.

No a good way to lose weight because you'll also get a nasty headache when to much water is lost.

Don't forget. Alcohol is a metabolic stimulant. However, it's 7 calories per gram with basically no nutritional value. Unless it's wine....or berr.....or scotch......**** it! It's good to drink ;)