PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to bulk, would like input on how I am doing

leetuck
04-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi guys,

I have been pretty quiet since joining last xmas. I took on a lot of good advice and wanted to perform one bulk/cut before I started giving advice to people.

Basically, before trying to bulk I was 195 lbs @ 6ft 3 and approx 14% fat (using calipers)

I now weigh 220lbs.

To cut a long story short, here are some stats:
Bulking period: 12 weeks (eating between 2000 and 4000 cals a day)
Fat gain: 9 lbs (approx)
LBM gain: 14 lbs (approx)
Weight gain ratio: 38% fat, 62 % muscle (approx of course)

Based on the stats above, am I bulking correctly? I feel like I am puting on too much fat though, I can feel it!

Another 5 weeks to go and then I am cutting and can't wait.

Thanks for any input.

Unholy
04-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Im going to go on a whim and say your holding some water/stool. According to what you say you would have to be eating 1000 calories a day above maintenance. I doubt your maintenance is between 1000-3000 calories a day.
You might be bloated from all the food.

Scooter
04-03-2007, 02:02 PM
If you think you are putting on too much fat then you are. Only way to resolve this during a bulk is to eat cleaner and continue lifting hard.

stepto180
04-03-2007, 02:09 PM
gotta look at the foods you are eatting cuz there is no way you should be gaining enough fat to notice on 2-4k....also maybe try and get most of your carb sources in the morning and after workouts..and of course lotsa protien!!

leetuck
04-03-2007, 02:52 PM
oh dear that's not what I wanted to hear.

I've also gone from 33inch waist to 36inch. I used to be very active and not eat properly. I eat whatever I can now plus between 4 and 8 pints a day on top. the milk counts up to 2000 cals a day. I'm not shying away from fat either.

I was told to eat loads and train hard so I'm doing it. . I don't think I'm eating too much fat but I must be.

how much fat increase should I have been looking at?

Unholy
04-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Fat doesn't make you fat. You mean 4-8 pints of beer on top of what you eat?

leetuck
04-03-2007, 03:36 PM
ha....beer no!

milk mate :)

2PACMAN2
04-03-2007, 05:21 PM
only eat when your hungry - make yourself hungry by training

seK
04-03-2007, 05:28 PM
only eat when your hungry - make yourself hungry by training

Don't do this.

Track your diet properly and increase your calories until you reach a steady gain that is suitable for your (realistic) goals. You didn't really mention too much about your training so I will leave that to another thread.

Roddy
04-03-2007, 05:34 PM
14lbs of lean body mass in 12 weeks is close to impossible.... your excess weight is most likely water and fat.

There is typically a rule that is beleived to be accurate:

2.5lbs of lean muscle mass is the max that a person can gain per month...

so say you gained the maximun of 2.5lbs per month.. you bulked for 3 months.. your lean mass gains are more likely in the 7.5lb range, not 14lbs.

leetuck
04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
i train heavy every other day using mostly compound movements.

As for my calculations ....
basically I was 14% fat at 195lbs before and 220lbs at 16% fat now. all approx of course. I just did the math. I have no doubt that I have excess water though.

thanks for everyones input.

Roddy
04-03-2007, 07:22 PM
damn that post made me sound like an ass.

I meant to say good work on the bulk, i know how hard it is to gain. And then ya the rest, just to give you an idea of where your seeing your weight.

leetuck
04-04-2007, 02:51 AM
ha.. its ok mate. I asked for opinions, so that's what I'm getting.

I've never bulked before so its all new to me so any input is good input. I used to be a fatty weighing 16st 5 so I've always been reluctant to go back up to near that weight.

I think next time I will bulk slowly to minimize fat increase.

thanks again.

Jeffreyk
04-04-2007, 07:46 AM
you gained 25lbs in a few weeks, I PROMISE you arent even close to 16%bf....try upwards of 20lbs...think about all the gear ronnie uses......he's LUCKY to gain 5lb A YEAR!!!

ShockBoxer
04-04-2007, 08:29 AM
*SMACK* Dammit, K, you've said some dumb things but that really takes the cake.

Think about how LONG Coleman has been training. 5 pounds at his training age is incredible. Five pounds LBM when you're just starting out... not so much.

It's more than possible that the original poster has only gained 2% body fat on his first bulk.

OP, like others have said just pare back the calories for a bit and continue to lift hard and see if things clear up a bit. It's probably a bunch of water if everything else is in place.

Jeffreyk
04-04-2007, 08:39 AM
its all realitve.......who said he was a newb? That amount of gain, that quickly, I got nothing else to say oher than fat gain, but a picture would work even beter...'

What does your daily food look like bro? Training? Cardio?

Unholy
04-04-2007, 08:56 AM
*SMACK* Dammit, K, you've said some dumb things but that really takes the cake.

:moon:

Jeffreyk
04-04-2007, 09:49 AM
:moon:

It's true though........very very rare (except for extreme newbs and extreme gear users_ to gain more than .5lbs of lean mass each week........I'd be exactic with those gains........

Unholy
04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
You told him there is no way hes 16% BF. Then you said try 20lbs. That makes absolutely no sense.

Jeffreyk
04-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Pics would solve this...........

Unholy
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Theres nothing to solve. Its obviously a lot of water weight.

Kyolked
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
My intuition tells me that you maybe arn't eating as clean as you possibly could? If you can remeber everything, try and post what you eat in a typical week, meal by meal (its tough to recall, but it will help these guys give you an accurate answer)

leetuck
04-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Ok guys... i think I've started something here!

A bit of background info for ya. I have been training for 2 years and i've always been on a diet and expected put on size. I knew that you needed to eat to progress properly but like most people... you train and eat wrong for a while until you realise that the advice people give you is actually correct!

Anyway, i used to "function" on 3 bowls of cereal, the odd protein shake and chocolate. As diets go, it was pi$$ poor.

I started to track my food on fitday after christmas for a couple of weeks to make sure i was eating approx 2500 to 3000 a day.

I mostly eat:
Chicken, Pasta, Porridge Oats, Peanuts, Steak, Protein shake, MILK, eggs (about 6 a day) and chocolate of course (but no so often now). I eat the same boring food all the time capped off with between 4 and 8 pints of milk a day.

I have at least 4 pints of milk a day and 2 protein shakes which equates to about 1800 cals before I've even eaten anything.

I have no doubt that I am holding on water..... never posted any pics before but I have 2 which I will add asap.

Will post the pics in a sec

Edit: I also eat a lot of chinese food now aswell. Like i said earlier, i dont shy away from fat. Someone said that fat doesn't make you fat, I know this! But if you have a lot of fat, alot of carbs, a lot of protein then in my opinion, the fat will make you fat.

leetuck
04-04-2007, 02:20 PM
As for training:

I do 2 sessions:

1. Chest and back (with extra bicep training)
2. Shoulders and legs (with extra tricep training)

I train every 2 days alternating the sessions. I also play football(soccer) once a week and that's it for cardio however i used to do loads of cardio and overtrain before bulking.

pic coming now

leetuck
04-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Here are 2 images:

Remember this is my first attempt at bulking, go easy!
Lighting is a bit poor in the first pic, sorry.

Also, I was further from the camera in the NOW pic.

$hit I forgot to mention that I never used to take creatine either, now I do. That's prob why I have some weight gain.

Jeffreyk
04-04-2007, 05:29 PM
16 LOOKS ABOUT RIGHT.....front shot?

Unholy
04-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Capslock

leetuck
04-04-2007, 06:11 PM
I will get a front shot within the next 24 hours.

please come back tom! :)

thanks guys

leetuck
04-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Sorry I have taken ages to post some front pics...
I've been away for a few days over the Easter break.

Anyway, here are the front pics you asked for.
An update on my weight:
I am currently 225 lbs now so I've put on about 30 lbs in about 14 weeks.

You guys think I've put on too much flab during the bulk .... ??

thanks
Oh yeh, sorry about the saggy trousers :)

Does anyone notice any changes?

Jeffreyk
04-10-2007, 06:22 AM
no but I am 50lbs lighter than you, taller, and eating 4000kclas...how many are you consuming now? Schedule? Meal plan?

leetuck
04-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi there,

I don't track my calories now but when i first started to eat more I used fitday so see approx what I was consuming.

I tend to eat the same thing every day, boring I know.

A typical day for me would be based on the following:
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=leetuck&Year=2007&Month=0&Day=7

However, no I have about 4+ pints of milk on top of that food.

On a daily basis I will typically have (approx):
140g fat, 320 g protein and 316g of carbs which will equate to about 4100 cals.

I don't tend to eat fresh food as don't have time to cook and I will try to eat throughout the day and not loads in one go. I work from home so having food for me at set times is not so hard.

You asked about my schedule? did you mean gym or food schedule? :D
Sorry if it was obvious what you was asking.