PDA

View Full Version : cutting diet question

Herandi
04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
i recently started a cut, a small one only reducing my calories by 320 a day. i have read conflicting articles on how much fat to have while cutting. my maintenance calories is about 3100 a day, i weigh 182 lbs at 15% bf and im getting about 215 grams protein in a day which im sure is enough? and at the moment about 65 grams fat which im not sure is enough seeing as i'm getting about 365 grams carbs a day. the ratio of calories coming from protein/carbs/fat is 30/53/17 . should i increase fat and reduce carbs? or is there a limit to how much fat should be in the diet?

any help would be appreciated

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-04-2007, 06:41 PM
You should be getting .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM, with the majority of this being from healthy fat sources - healthy fat (Essential Fatty Acids).

You weren't literally removing 320 calories a day from your total calories every single day, were you? I would lower your protein and/or carbs and up your fat intake a bit. The minimum for protein intake is 1 gram per pound of LBM, which would make your minimum requirement for protein under 150 grams. So yes...you're eating plenty. As long as you're hitting your fat and protein minimums, the rest of your calories can come from whatever makes you feel the most comfortable, whether it be fat, protein, or carbs.

viper200202
04-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Is it me or does 3100 calories for maintenance seem a bit high for a 182 pounder? I am at 210 pounds and i figure my maintenance is 3100 calories.
On the above note, i would have to agree with Scarz of pain that your majority of calories should be consumed from Protein and fat sources. But obviously you still need carbs
Adios

Mr. D
04-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Is it me or does 3100 calories for maintenance seem a bit high for a 182 pounder? I am at 210 pounds and i figure my maintenance is 3100 calories.
On the above note, i would have to agree with Scarz of pain that your majority of calories should be consumed from Protein and fat sources. But obviously you still need carbs
Adios

He could have a fast metabolism and/or high activity level. It does seem a bit high.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-05-2007, 02:44 AM
AdiosThat's not what I said.

Herandi
04-05-2007, 03:49 AM
i knew that 1gram protein per lb lbm was minimum but i thought that during cutting this had to be increased? ok i will increase my fat intake to at least 77g. would you reccommend taking this higher and reducing protein or does it not matter then? and isn't the point of cutting to keep carbs to a minimum? i based my maintenance calories on calculators on the internet and through past gains i made through bulking. could possibly be about 2900-3000, but i'm sure i will work it out exactly soon. any help would be appreciated, thanks

viper200202
04-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Oops i said that incorrectly......sorry Scarz of Pain i shouldnt have replied when i was so tired last night.
Sorry what i meant to add to your comment was that yes upping your essentail fatty acids is key in cutting. They support the cardiovascular and reproductive systems in the body.
Point is that EFA's help repair cell membranes and rid the body of harmful waste products. Im sure IronGeek has some stickies on cutting in the Forums here. Still keep you protein intake high and i guess the rest of your daily calories would come from carbohydrates.

seK
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
i knew that 1gram protein per lb lbm was minimum but i thought that during cutting this had to be increased? ok i will increase my fat intake to at least 77g. would you reccommend taking this higher and reducing protein or does it not matter then? and isn't the point of cutting to keep carbs to a minimum? i based my maintenance calories on calculators on the internet and through past gains i made through bulking. could possibly be about 2900-3000, but i'm sure i will work it out exactly soon. any help would be appreciated, thanks

You should really track your loss/gain to find your maintenance, you can use calculations to get a starting point but keep in mind that it can vary drastically between different individuals. As for your question about protein I wouldn't increase on a cut nor would I cut carbs out (I would however keep my intake of cabs close to my workouts), keep your fat intake at the above recommended level and protein where you had it. After that its a matter of keeping your cal's in check. I would also ensure you are eating plenty of veggies and taking a multi vit.