PDA

View Full Version : No Cardio - bulking

Jeffreyk
04-05-2007, 07:34 AM
anyone find out that they are actually LEANER, without cardio, solely by manipulation of diet.....it's weird, but some claim it's true...thoughts?

Mik
04-05-2007, 07:39 AM
There are a bunch of threads on this that you may want to look at. Cutting is all about diet. You don't need cardio unless you enjoy it. For me, I don't do cardio as a rule. I cut via diet and manipulation.

Unholy
04-05-2007, 07:40 AM
:whiner:

ShockBoxer
04-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Do cardio for endurance in life. I've neglected it for too long and worked exclusively with the 1-4 rep range. The net result? I still get winded running across a street, even though I've lost 40 pounds and doubled my strength. The other night I got too winded to continue having sex... and if that's not motivation enough to throw cardio into the mix, nothing is.

Scorpion32
04-05-2007, 09:43 AM
The health benifits of cardio out weigh the benifits of being strong. What about the most important muscle for your health, your heart. Cardio is the only way that I know of that will work the heart. This is my personal thougths.... what do others think that do not do cardio? I think if you are trying to Bulk you should eat even more on cardio days I know it will be hard for some of us to eat even more. Too out of shape for sex.....couldn't imagine!

Anthony
04-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Question for you guys ... which of the following is a form of cardio?

1) 20 rep squats
2) Sprinting 100 meters x 8 sets
3) Using the elliptical for an hour

Mik
04-05-2007, 09:57 AM

1) 20 rep squats

Assuming you sprint or use the elliptical you are training your legs so you wouldn't need to squat. ;)

Unholy
04-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Wouldn't all of those give your heart a good workin?

Mik
04-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Wouldn't all of those give your heart a good workin?

Indeed.

Beast
04-05-2007, 10:20 AM
What about the most important muscle for your health, your heart. Cardio is the only way that I know of that will work the heart.
So your heart rate doesn't rise after lifting weights?

Scorpion32
04-05-2007, 10:22 AM

1) 20 rep squats

They are all cardio. It doesn't have to be an hour of bouring running. There is a million ways to work your heart.

Anthony
04-05-2007, 10:30 AM
So if I'm lifting weights, that's considered cardio because it's working my heart?

seK
04-05-2007, 10:31 AM
The health benifits of cardio out weigh the benifits of being strong. What about the most important muscle for your health, your heart. Cardio is the only way that I know of that will work the heart. This is my personal thougths.... what do others think that do not do cardio? I think if you are trying to Bulk you should eat even more on cardio days I know it will be hard for some of us to eat even more. Too out of shape for sex.....couldn't imagine!

Actually there are multiple studies posted on this very forum that prove that lifting is sufficient to maintain a strong healthy heart.

Scorpion32
04-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Your heart gets used walking from the car to the inside of Mc Donalds. When you lift your heart is used, but my question is does someone who only lifts have as strong of a heart as some who runs/Bikes/plays a sport/ whatever? A set usually last around 30 to 45 sec. then you rest. I know 20 reps takes a little longer. teach me why I do not need to do cardio in order to be completly healthy. I am not just talking about looking like a bodybuilder I am talking over all health.

Anthony
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Your heart gets used walking from the car to the inside of Mc Donalds. When you lift your heart is used, but my question is does someone who only lifts have as strong of a heart as some who runs/Bikes/plays a sport/ whatever? A set usually last around 30 to 45 sec. then you rest. I know 20 reps takes a little longer. teach me why I do not need to do cardio in order to be completly healthy. I am not just talking about looking like a bodybuilder I am talking over all health.

But you just said that weight lifting is a form of cardio. So why are you trying to make a distinction between lifting weights and doing "cardio" ... ??

;)

Scorpion32
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I lift weights yes, but is my heart/over all health is a good as it can be without doing any cardio? My answer is no, but if you have some other info please share it with me. I want to learn why I do not need to do cardio or why you feel your heart/lungs are fine without. I know I would die running two miles, playing basketball full court or whatever if I never did any cardio. I might look in shape because of diet and lifting but I wouldn't be in the best overall shape I could unless I did something cardiovascular. sp?

Unholy
04-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Weight lifting is cardiovascular. Read the thread.

RedSpikeyThing
04-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I lift weights yes, but is my heart/over all health is a good as it can be without doing any cardio? My answer is no, but if you have some other info please share it with me. I want to learn why I do not need to do cardio or why you feel your heart/lungs are fine without. I know I would die running two miles, playing basketball full court or whatever if I never did any cardio. I might look in shape because of diet and lifting but I wouldn't be in the best overall shape I could unless I did something cardiovascular. sp?

replace every occurance of "cardio" in that sentence with "aerobic activity" and you'll have anthony off your back.

Anthony
04-05-2007, 11:20 AM
replace every occurance of "cardio" in that sentence with "aerobic activity" and you'll have anthony off your back.

Finally. :D

The term "cardio" is misused ... I was just breaking everyone's balls. :D

Scorpion32
04-05-2007, 11:26 AM
I am not trying to be smarter then anybody. Just tell me that you are in as good of over all health with only lifting weights. Explain to me why I do not need to do any cardio/aerobic activity. Should I stop conditioning my football team and only lift weights? Hell just teach me!, cardio or aerobic activity use whatever term you want. I know you are going to say they are different but not in the context of this thread.

Unholy
04-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Wow I must say you have a thick skull sir.

Scorpion32
04-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Wow I must say you have a thick skull sir.

Thanks for the knowledge!

RedSpikeyThing
04-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I am not trying to be smarter then anybody. Just tell me that you are in as good of over all health with only lifting weights. Explain to me why I do not need to do any cardio/aerobic activity.

No one said you shouldn't. Aerobic activity gives you strong heart and lungs. Generally speaking, no one likes doing it so to achieve the same results that have a better grasp of their diet. On a bulk, doing aerobic activity means you have to eat more. When you're at the point puking already, this doesn't usually sound like a good idea.

Anthony
04-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I am not trying to be smarter then anybody. Just tell me that you are in as good of over all health with only lifting weights. Explain to me why I do not need to do any cardio/aerobic activity. Should I stop conditioning my football team and only lift weights? Hell just teach me!, cardio or aerobic activity use whatever term you want. I know you are going to say they are different but not in the context of this thread.

I wouldn't use aerobic activity for most athletes. Well, very rarely and mostly as a deload or active recovery method. Think about how a football game is played - do you spend 30-60 minutes jogging around the field? Or do you start and stop with short intense sprints? Guess what - that's anaerobic.

The cool thing is, anaerobic activity will improve cardio, stamina, strength, and a bunch of other cool stuff just as well (if not better) than aerobic activity.

If you want to learn, look into the energy systems (phosphagen, glycolytic, and oxidative) ... look into the diff between anaerobic and aerobic ... understand what cardio actually is ... understand what stamina is ... there's tons of info on this site, just browse, read, and learn. Good luck.