PDA

View Full Version : Bill Starr's 5x5 or....

OLDFART
04-08-2007, 12:31 AM
My daughter plays fastpitch softball and she ask for a weight training workout. I have heard of Bill Starr' 5x5 and Bigger Stronger Faster , but not sure which would be best for her. Anyone try either one ? If so which one would you suggest ?

Fuzzy
04-08-2007, 04:48 AM
Some stats on your daughter?

hight weight, age?

Detard
04-08-2007, 07:08 AM
I tried bill starrs 5x5 and I had some great strength gains on it. Never heard of bigger stronger faster. Do you have a link to it where we can have a look?

Sensei
04-08-2007, 07:26 AM
http://biggerfasterstronger.com/ Also, do a search - there have been a few threads about it over the years.

A little more info about your daughter would be helpful. If she has no experience in the weight room, just doing a few exercises, developing flawless technique, and gradually pushing up the numbers in them would probably be enough.

deeder
04-08-2007, 10:42 AM
It's tough to put a beginner on Starr's 5x5 because it's based on percentages of your 1 or 5 rep max.

Like Sensei said, just getting her in the gym doing some compound movements and working on technique is probably enough for now. I've found the WBB routines are great for beginners. Get her working with higher reps but doing the exercises from WBB1 to perfect her form and gradually start working with heavier weights/lower reps.

PowerManDL
04-08-2007, 04:22 PM
It's tough to put a beginner on Starr's 5x5 because it's based on percentages of your 1 or 5 rep max.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Like Sensei said, just getting her in the gym doing some compound movements and working on technique is probably enough for now. I've found the WBB routines are great for beginners. Get her working with higher reps but doing the exercises from WBB1 to perfect her form and gradually start working with heavier weights/lower reps.

Definitely, everybody knows that programs specialized for bodybuilding are the best for athletes competing in other sports.

manowar669
04-08-2007, 06:51 PM
to improve a SSP, just do it again and again (pitch, pitch, pitch) Crossfit will improve just about everything.

markdk86
04-08-2007, 07:55 PM
crossfit.com

Bupp
04-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Is it in-season/preseason/offseason right now for fastpitch?