PDA

View Full Version : Help me get from Flab to Fab...

Albertz
04-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Hey guys,
I am a 21 year old college student that is 5'7 & 85 kg. Basically I have not done much weightlifting before and would like help on how to basically, get ripped!!! :)...I know that currently i am over weight. Please help me guys as i have the passion and the attitude to go all the way!!!...
Also, if any estimation of what my current body fat % is would be good.

I have attached some pictures to show you guys with what i have to work on.

Thanks guys in advance :)....

Unholy
04-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Start reading the stickies in the diet and weightlifting sections.

I would guess BF % between 25-30% honestly hard to tell at the higher %.

Freakish
04-08-2007, 06:20 AM
hard to tell bf%, youre gunna have to overhaul your diet and lifestyle...start by changing the way you intake, eat CLEAN calories. find a starter routine and see how you feel with it. get in a gym...there you should also be able to calibrate you bf.

if you wanna lose weight, you have to eat in a caloric deficit. you have to burn more than you need to maintain.

Albertz
04-08-2007, 06:34 AM
Sorry guys, i forgot to mention that i have been going to the gym for about 8 months now and i have lost about 35kg. I feel like it is time for me to start putting hardcore muslce. I would like to recompose my body so it becomes ripped.

Unholy
04-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Damn 35kg is a great amount of weight lost.

Go to www.fitday.com start tracking what you eat.

What does your routine look like exactly?

Albertz
04-08-2007, 06:44 AM
Thankyou Unholy.
Well basicaly i go to the gym 5 times a week. My workouts consist of starting with HIIT for about 30min. I then workout different body parts on different days, i.e - Chest/Back , Shoulder/Bi's/Tri's, Legs. I try to workout each of my muscle groups twice a week.
My current diet consist of high protein, low carb, low fat diet.

Unholy
04-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Ok. If you want to pack on muscle your gonna have to give us something more to work with. Lay it out. What does 1 week of gymin look like for you. Include Exercises and sets/reps. You also might want to rethink doing cardio before lifting. You should be fine doing 20 minutes of HIIT after lifting or on off days 3x a week. Getting "ripped" as you call it is not something that comes easy. You will have to start tracking calories and start making sure you are getting enough protein AND healthy fats.

Albertz
04-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Below is my workout routine at the moment :

Chest
Bench press - 3*12
Incline Bench press - 3*12
Dumbell flies - 3*12
Dips - 3 *10

Back
Lat pull down - 3*12
Reverse cable flies - 3*12
Dumbell rows - 3*12

Shoulders
Dumbell shoulder press - 3*12

Bi's
Dumbell curls -3*12

Tri's
Tricep pushdowns - 3*12

Legs
Leg press - 3*12
Leg curls - 3*12
Calf raiser - 3*12

Abs
Cruches - 3*12
Side crunches - 3*12

Detard
04-08-2007, 07:00 AM
When are you doing that routine and how do you split it up? That routine is missing alot of things like chinups, Deadlifts, squats, BB rows, and focuses on the upper body too much. Your best bet would be to try something like WBB1 or bgb routine which are both in alot of peoples signatures.

sharkall2003
04-08-2007, 07:01 AM
Below is my workout routine at the moment :

Chest
Bench press - 3*12
Incline Bench press - 3*12
Dumbell flies - 3*12
Dips - 3 *10

Back
Lat pull down - 3*12
Reverse cable flies - 3*12
Dumbell rows - 3*12

Shoulders
Dumbell shoulder press - 3*12

Bi's
Dumbell curls -3*12

Tri's
Tricep pushdowns - 3*12

Legs
Leg press - 3*12
Leg curls - 3*12
Calf raiser - 3*12

Abs
Cruches - 3*12
Side crunches - 3*12

You'll have to do a lot more than that. If you want to be cut and having nice full muscles I'd suggest more than just a few sets a day. And if you've been lifting for eight months, you can handle more workload than that. Start doing numerous exercises that work different sides of the shoulder, change your rep scheme. You shouldn't need to be dong more than a set of 8 unless you're going for the chiseled look, and even then hardly anyone goes more than that. What's your diet look like?

Albertz
04-08-2007, 07:11 AM
My diet is as per below:

Breakfast
-2 cups of whole grain cereal
-1 and half cups skim milk
- 1 whole meal slice toast
- 1 slice of low fat cheese

Snack
Fruit - e.g - mostly apples

Lunch
Salad - sometimes roast chicked salad or tuna salad

Snack
Low fat biscuits or fruit

Dinner
- Grilled chicken Or grilled meat Or grilled salmon
- Small serving of salad
- 2-3 pieces of brocolli and or coliflower, brocolli

Unholy
04-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Start lifting in a lower rep range.

Start doing - Deadlifts, squats, Bent over BB rows, Straight legged deadlifts.

I would start by trying out one of the premade WBB routines for a few weeks, then take it from there.

Albertz
04-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Unholy - You suggesting heavy and low reps?

Unholy
04-08-2007, 07:15 AM
My diet is a per below:

Breakfast
-2 cups of whole grain cereal
-1 and half cups skim milk
- 1 whole meal slice toast
- 1 slice of low fat cheese

Snack
Fruit - e.g - mostly apples

Lunch
Salad - sometimes roast chicked salad or tuna salad

Snack
Low fat biscuits or fruit

Dinner
- Grilled chicken Or grilled meat Or grilled salmon
- Small serving of salad
- 2-3 pieces of brocolli and or coliflower, brocolli

You need to start eating much more protein. I would shoot for almost 200g a day at your weight. You also need to start eating more healthy fats. Olive oil, fish, natural peanut butter, or other kinds of nut butter. Sign up on www.fitday.com and start tracking your food. Shoot for 1g pr lb/ lean body mass for protein and .5g pr lb/ LBM for healthy fats.

Unholy
04-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Unholy - You suggesting heavy and low reps?

yes sir. Check out these routines for some ideas. http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78290

ALso you need those key exercises.

Deadlift
Squat
BB Row
SLDL

Heavy Compound movements.

Albertz
04-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Ok, I dont no what my maintanance calorie intake is so i am scared of eating to much and not loseing the weight, however putting on muscle now is equally as important for me.

Unholy
04-08-2007, 07:21 AM
You will find your maintenance calories by tracking. Eating not enough will not only slow down fat loss but will also make it impossible to put on muscle. 90% of this sport is diet. You have to learn how your body responds to different things. The first step is tracking what you put into your body.

Albertz
04-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Are there any diet templates for me?, i.e - what should i be eating at breakfast/lunch/dinner to make sure that what i am eating will allow me to get sufficient results.

Unholy
04-08-2007, 07:30 AM
No you will have to learn to read food labels and make smart choices. I already gave you an idea as far as how much protein an fat you need to eat. Read the stickies in the diet & nutrition section.

You say you want to get in shape, put in the effort. It really isn't very hard to do.

Nik00117
04-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I found this rountine helped me a lot.

Day 1 Legs
squats 5x5
leg gpress 3x8
some tpye of calf exceirse 3x8

Day 2 Cardio (reavatily light nothing too serious)

Day 3 Chest/Tris
Bench 5x5
Close Grip Bench 3x8
Crunches 3x8 (any varation should work switch it up keep it fun)

Day 4
Light cardio

Day 5 Back
Deadlift 5x5
Shrugs 3x8
some varation of rows 3x8

Day 6 Rest
Day 7 Rest

Thats what I do and if you eat clean, you can some good gains.

I understand you may what better bis, if so just toss in curls on either your bench day or deadlift day.

Albertz
04-10-2007, 03:20 AM
Okay tell me what you think about this routine.
Basically i start off with HIIT for about 25-30 min. I choose to do this first as i want most of my energy to start off by doing cardio and because im am overweight. I then work out different muscle groups on different days. Starting off with WBB#1 with a little mod.

Monday - HIIT 25-30min
Chest
Bench Press - 2*8
Low incline dumber press - 2*8
Dips - 2*8

Back
Chin-ups - 2*8
Deadlifts - 2*8
barbell row -2*8
shrugs - 2*8
Reverse cable flies - 2*8

Tuesday - HIIT 25-30min
Shoulders
Military Press in Rack - 2*8
Seated dumbell press - 2*8
Lateral raises - 2*8

Tri's
French Press - 2*8
Tricep extensions - 2*8
Dips with dip machine - 2*8

Bi's
Barbell curls - 2*8
hammer curls - 2*8

Wednesday - HIIT 25-30min
Legs
Sqauts - 2*8
leg extensions - 2*8
calf raises - 2*8
straight leg dead lifts - 2*8

Thursday
Run for 30 min

Friday
Run for 30 min

Saturday Rest
Sunday Rest

What you think?, please comment.

What do use mean when use say heavy compound movements?.

Unholy
04-10-2007, 03:27 AM
Do HIIT after lifting or on off days.

Also lifting 3 days in a row won't be fun. Is there a reason you wont spread it out?

Albertz
04-10-2007, 03:49 AM
Yes there is. College requires lots of time :) .

Is there a reason as to why i should do HIIT after lifting?. As you have seen in the photo's, i am overweight .I was thinking i should put more effort into cardio, not to say that i should put less effort into lifting, but , i do think that losing the weight is important at first. I was thinking when i get to about a lesser fat % i would do HIIT after lifting.

Mr. D
04-10-2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=91328

This was over 3 months ago and Scarz gave great advice?Did you totally disregard it then?

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=92593

This was 2 months ago and it still seems you didnt take the advice of any the helpful responses.

Why are you still doing cardio first?I would do this after you lift. On your off days can you be more specific about running. Did you ever read Builts article on cardio: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292

Mr. D
04-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Yes there is. College requires lots of time :) .

Is there a reason as to why i should do HIIT after lifting?. As you have seen in the photo's, i am overweight .I was thinking i should put more effort into cardio, not to say that i should put less effort into lifting, but , i do think that losing the weight is important at first. I was thinking when i get to about a lesser fat % i would do HIIT after lifting.

And you think resistance training doesnt burn fat? Fat burning begins and ends in the kitchen. You start by being at a caloric deficit. Then you lift heavy to hold on to the muscle that you have and burn fat. Cardio is added in to create a little extra deficit, however it doesnt have the all day fat burning effects of weightlifting.

Albertz
08-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey guys, well i started this thread a while ago but i thought ill keep the same thread. Below are my progress pics. Any comments/suggestions anything welcome.

Jordanbcool
08-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Looks like you're doing good with the weight loss.

Unfortunately you have alot of skin to lose....But still great progress so far.

Albertz
08-18-2007, 07:37 PM
how do you loose skin ?...naturally?...

Built
08-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Skin does tighten up, to a point. But in some cases you need surgery.

JaCelica2k
08-23-2007, 01:42 PM
You'll have to do a lot more than that. If you want to be cut and having nice full muscles I'd suggest more than just a few sets a day. And if you've been lifting for eight months, you can handle more workload than that.

And exactly how many total exercises would you suggest and how many sets of each?

Jordanbcool
08-23-2007, 02:47 PM
And exactly how many total exercises would you suggest and how many sets of each?

That is hard to say. You cannot give any person a certain amount of numbered sets and then tell them they will grow. It doesn't work like that.

Personally I don't think you need to cut anymore. I think you're at a healthy bodyfat with is nothing to scoff at. You've come a long way from your previous pictures and it shows.

I think your main concern would be to get rid of the excess skin you have. Your only option is probably going to have to be surgery.....

Below is a great routine in my opinion. It can be used for cutting and bulking and is a very good routine for increasing strength regardless. I think you should take a look at it. Read the whole thing though so you get everything down.

Good luck.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Jorge Sanchez
08-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I think you're going to need to talk to Twilo about the 'fab' part.

WBBIRL
08-23-2007, 08:33 PM
If my calculations are correct, then you've lost about 100 pounds which is incredible to say the least. You should be very proud of yourself, very proud.

There are variables here we don't know (and some you might not even know for sure) such as:

Your skins elasticity

How long you've currently been at the weight in the new shots.

5'7 270 pounds would have given you a high bodyfat %, so that is probably excess skin you have. Did you injure/tear anything in the right pectoral area?

Generally if you don't lose weight too fast and you don't have like 100 pounds to drop the excess skin should be minimal and should tighten up decently over 12-24 months. If it were me, I'd honestly wait at least a year before considering surgery for more then one reason.

Albertz
08-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your comments...I really appreciate it as i dont really get much lol...
Umm well i am around 76-78 kg lol i vary alot lol, i dont no why...But as for weight i want to get down to 75kg... I really really want to get that fat off around my waist!!!...I was thinking just lifting big, eating clean, and just commitment will do the job...I want to see no fat around my waist, thats my goal!...BUT at the same time have a big chest hehehe...BUT guys im telling you, just wait for my next progress photo's, next one's will be great...