PDA

View Full Version : PSMF soda

Jordanbcool
04-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Drink is as it sounds. I've been experimenting with various drinks and have found this one to be one of the better ones. Water and nitrean gets old fast on a PSMF. Not because it tastes bad but because you have it almost every single day.

Blend
1 scoop Nitrean (vanilla)
2-3 tsp no-calorie sweetener
1/2 cup crushed ice
1 1/2 cups diet dr. pepper cherry vanilla

Other sodas that seem to work well

Diet pepsi
Diet vanilla coke
Diet black cherry coke
etc.

You don't want to add anything funky or it'll taste like crap. I tried diet mountain dew and it sucked. Stick with black cola's and anything with cherry/vanilla in it and you're fine. You can also substitute the artificial stuff with real sugar to make the taste better. I'll frequently do that since 2-3 tsp of even real sugar is under 100 calories. It'll help you work out harder too.

Possible pre-workout soda
5g creatine
4 tsp raw sugar
1 1/2 cups Diet pepsi
1/2 cup crushed ice
1 scoop nitrean (vanilla)

Should make a pretty good sized shake that will keep you full for a while. You can add another scoop of nitrean but always keep the ratio two to one. Two cups of soda for every scoop. It'll be too thick and will foam too much if you do it any other way.

Hopefully this isn't a dumb idea and others will like it. I sure do.

Also I've never tried strawberry nitrean but that should work fine. I haven't got the chance to mix chocolate very much but from the few times I have vanilla > chocolate every single time.

Unholy
04-08-2007, 02:10 PM
If you put sugar in cola you make a volcano

Jordanbcool
04-08-2007, 02:12 PM
If you put sugar in cola you make a volcano
Creatine makes it foam WAY more.

Do u like the idea?

Unholy
04-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Son, thats so ****ing funny. I just bought a diet coke form the vending machine., threw in a teaspoon of creatine mono an lost ALL my coke and creatine. Maybe 10 minutes before you made this thread.

Jordanbcool
04-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Son, thats so ****ing funny. I just bought a diet coke form the vending machine., threw in a teaspoon of creatine mono an lost ALL my coke and creatine. Maybe 10 minutes before you made this thread.

It sucks. I was making one before a workout and wasn't paying attention and my drink almost ended up all over the floor.

I dunno why creatine makes it foam so bad. Its like someone just shook the **** out of it.

deeder
04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
This sounds sooooo weird. How do you control the fizzing when you add the creatine/sugar/shake it up?

Jordanbcool
04-09-2007, 09:43 AM
This sounds sooooo weird. How do you control the fizzing when you add the creatine/sugar/shake it up?

You just have to be careful. I dunno why creatine makes soda react like that. Just another useless tidbit of knowledge.

I just put everything in a big shaker, before I blend it. Strangley it foams more with the creatine then it does with the sugar or when I mix it. I put the creatine in first then let it fizz and die down and then I finish it off. Once its done fizzing from the creatine its not that bad at all. Then blend, and wash it down. Taste isn't bad at all if you get the right soda's. Thats the tricky part.

Jordanbcool
04-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Also. I would like to take the time to copyright this soda. That way, if atlarge decides to market this I can get royalties!!! :D

Eszekial
04-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Drop a mentos into a diet coke bottle....

Be outside and back up....

ddegroff
04-10-2007, 10:06 PM
This sounds kinda good, interesting for sure.

Damn Zek, sounds like fun.

WestsideWarrior
04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Or try this...

cut a twizzler in half.
dip it in a bottle of diet pepsi.
enjoy diet rain.

Bako Lifter
04-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Good idea Jordan, just tried it, it's pretty good.

JSully
04-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Possible pre-workout soda
5g creatine
4 tsp raw sugar
1 1/2 cups Diet pepsi
1/2 cup crushed ice
1 scoop nitrean (vanilla)

4 tsp raw sugar breaks the PSMF rules

Progress
04-11-2007, 01:42 PM
All of the above plus Pop Rocks.

Jordanbcool
04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
4 tsp raw sugar breaks the PSMF rules

No it doesn't. Read the book.

The second suggestion is for a pre-workout drink. Had you bothered to read the book, lyle suggests you consume some sort of simple sugar pre-workout to maintain intensity.

Unholy
04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Littlejake is a professional PSMF'r believe me.

D Breyer
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
No it doesn't. Read the book.

The second suggestion is for a pre-workout drink. Had you bothered to read the book, lyle suggests you consume some sort of simple sugar pre-workout to maintain intensity.
Littlejake knows what he's talking about, and has without a doubt read the book... AFAIK, Sucrose is NOT the type of simple sugar you want to be taking. Especially that much..

Although he does say something about skittles doesn't he?

JSully
04-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Wow, thanks guys.

lol..

I've got the book one of my shelves and I can see it sitting there from where I sit at this very moment. I've read the book many times. Whether you read the book or not, try going to www.bodyrecomposition.com and posting in the forums there. Lyle will call you an idiot. He said diet soda should only be used as a resort to assist with not cheating. Sugar, no. I believe he said something like 1/2 scoop of powerade diluted into 1/2 gallon of water to sip on DURING your workout. And even then it was just a suggestion for the weak that can't handle the intense PSMF workouts. PSMF = PROTEIN SPARING MODIFIED FAST = PROTEIN ONLY. no carbs, 6pills fish oil daily. PERIOD. The only extra carbs and fat will come from "trace carbs and fat" that you just have to take in due to shakes or chicken. Its not meant to be fun. It's not meant to be healthy. It's not meant to taste great. And finally, it's not meant to get ripped. It's meant to catch you up on a diet, mix things up for a couple weeks while getting away from your other diet, or use it as a jumpstart to a different diet.

I do know what I'm talking about and I've read the book at least twice as many times as you. Because of the PSMF I was 230 @ 9% bodyfat while still hitting a 385 bench and 495 squat..... Maybe you should read the book again??

D Breyer
04-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for clarifying that, LittleJake

Jordanbcool
04-12-2007, 02:05 PM
I've read the book myself many times. I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it. I was just trying to make the point that he does suggest some kind of simple sugar.

Anyways. I will re-read it when I get home. I am in the lower portion of bodyfat right now and I'm pretty sure that category "one" people are supposed to have some sort of simple sugar pre-workout for intensity. Raw sugar, skittles, smarties, gatorade all should be ok to my knowledge (but when I get home I will re-read to be sure).

Regardless 100 calories of anything will not de-rail this diet. The calorie deficit is so huge.

P.S. Also. If you make my drink you will know that it is not "great" tasting. It is simply more tolerable then water/nitrean day after day after day after..I've been running a psmf cycle (s) on and off for two years now. It is the only diet I do. My journal can attest to that.

BFGUITAR
04-12-2007, 02:32 PM
If it fizzes when you add creatine there is a reaction taking place, unless the creatine acts as some sort of catalyst but I highly doubt that.

The creatine is reacting with something and if it fizzes up like you say there is some sort of gas being released. I just took a look at the creatine molecule and this is what I think is happening.

1) Creatine molecules contain two side groups containing Nitrogen and hydrogen.
2) Pop contains carbonate, CO3 molecules
3) CO3 molecules react with these side groups (because that extra oxygen is a bit unstable), taking the Hydrogen away from the Nitrogen side groups to create H20, and the nitrogen breaks off to from Nitrogen gas (N2) and voila, youve messed up your creatine.
Not to mention that shaking it up will not only release gas from the pop faster, but speed up the reaction.

Im a chem major, I like to try and figure these kinds of things out :D

Jordanbcool
04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Rapid Fat loss Handbook. By: Lyle Mcdonald
Pages 29, 34

I want to add that the low blood glucose that typically occurs on a low-carb diet can really sap training intensity, especially in the weight room.....Consuming 5 grams of carbohydrate about 10 mintues before can help alot with training intensity, by increasing blood glucose back to the normal range." Conceivably you could increase this to 15-30 grams of carbs taken during the workout (this only adds 60-120 calories to your diet as well). Page 29 last paragraph

As mentioned in the exercise chapter athletes may want to take 5 grams of fast acting carbohydrate about 5-10 mintues before their weight workouts, this will raise blood glucose back to the normal range and help to maintain training intensity. It only adds 20 calories to the daily diet. Again up to 15-30 grams of carbs (think gatorade) can be sipped on during a workout, adding 60-120 calories to the diet. Page 34, 2nd paragraph.

Both of us are right. I just wanted to set everything straight so people do not get confused.

D Breyer
04-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Table sugar would not be in the category of "fast acting carbohydrate" right?

BFGUITAR
04-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Table sugar would not be in the category of "fast acting carbohydrate" right?

Yes it would be consider a fast acting carb.
Its real name is sucrose or saccharose which consists of one fructose and one glucose molecule. This bond can be broken fairly easily and used quickly.

This is the stuff found in gatorade, baked goods... you name it.

Mench
04-12-2007, 07:26 PM
I want to add that the low blood glucose that typically occurs on a low-carb diet can really sap training intensity, especially in the weight room.....Consuming 5 grams of carbohydrate about 10 mintues before can help alot with training intensity, by increasing blood glucose back to the normal range." Conceivably you could increase this to 15-30 grams of carbs taken during the workout (this only adds 60-120 calories to your diet as well).

It does say that, but one tsp of sugar is 4g of carb. You are suggesting 4. Causes more time out of ketosis then is really ideal. Not saying your derailing your diet over it, but you are certainly holding it back from it's potential.

Jordanbcool
04-12-2007, 09:13 PM
It does say that, but one tsp of sugar is 4g of carb. You are suggesting 4. Causes more time out of ketosis then is really ideal. Not saying your derailing your diet over it, but you are certainly holding it back from it's potential.

I know that was my point though. You cannot stick Gatorade in the drink I made/proposed and raw sugar is a viable option. Not the best or ideal choice but it gets the job done. I just didn't like how he said "it violates the psmf rules". Plus it will help the taste. I've found that raw sugar helps my workouts alot If people don't like or want to use sugar they don't have to. They can use an artificial sweetener like I said for the first drink. I was also very specific with saying that it is a PRE- workout suggestion if you combine raw sugar/creatine.

I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong but I'm just defending myself and my drink.

JSully
04-13-2007, 10:11 AM
lol...

Just a little tidbit, that "Rapid Fat Loss Handbook" is based on Lyle's PSMF. It actually is not the PSMF as he states in the book it is a MPSMF, modified protein saturated motidifed fast. The actualy PSMF, found on his website forums call for no sugar. :)

I'm done arguing,

I vote to just bulk.

theJamAbides
04-13-2007, 07:00 PM
To answer the question as to why it fizzes with creatine, mentos, twizzler, etc...

It is not a chemical reaction of any sort. It is a physical one.

It's about surface area, and microscopic pits and jaggies. All three of the mentioned substances have a unique surface area makeup, the bubbles in the soda are able to form because of it. Since you are adding about a billion little granules of creatine, many bubbles are forming rapidly. As they form, the creatine crystal splits again and again multiplying it. Same with the Mentos. As the bubbles form, they break away some the the surface and more bubbles take their place.

I didn't use many big words with this one, but this IS why, and if you are inclined to ask I can provide studies etc. There REALLY was quite a scientific conundrum about this strange reaction about a year ago, and many sources.

Jordanbcool
04-13-2007, 08:59 PM
lol...

Just a little tidbit, that "Rapid Fat Loss Handbook" is based on Lyle's PSMF. It actually is not the PSMF as he states in the book it is a MPSMF, modified protein saturated motidifed fast. The actualy PSMF, found on his website forums call for no sugar. :)

I'm done arguing,

I vote to just bulk.

Yea, he said he thought a MPSMF would be a stupid name for the diet. The modifications he made were fairly minor. Like the addition of fish oil, extra fiber and a small amount of lowfat dairy among other things.

I should practice what I preach. I eat way to much fat on my reefeed days. Like today with that double cheeseburger I downed :(