PDA

View Full Version : Good substitute for Romanian Deadlifts

teenathlete3030
04-08-2007, 08:30 PM
I think I finally settled on a program for the next 8 weeks. It has romanian deadlifts 12 out of the 16 workouts. Not that I don't have anything against them, but I REALLY don't want to hurt my back by doing them improperly. I know, I know, do them right and I won't get hurt, but I don't really want to take the risk.

Since the movement works primarily glutes, hamstrings, and a little lower back, which of these would you choose to replace the lift:

Reg. deadlift
or
Glute/ham raise (weighted)

That's all I can think of right now.

stepto180
04-08-2007, 09:11 PM
glute-ham raises!!! altho if you do rdls with a 303 tempo its very easy to get the work on your hams without haveing to load up to much weight where you might risk injury(also dont come all th e way up to a complete stand where the tension come off of you hams and it will also be harder on ur hams)

RhodeHouse
04-09-2007, 10:43 AM
A regular DL is more dangerous than RDL's. GHR's are good, but just do the RDL's.

RedSpikeyThing
04-09-2007, 10:52 AM
So you'll deadlift but not RDL?

teenathlete3030
04-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Ok, let me just make sure I'm doing this right. A RDL is where you keep the legs straight, but not locked out, knees barely bent. Then keeping the back tight lower the bar to just lower than your knees, and right back up.

If that's right, I did them today just to see how bad or good they would really be. Actually they weren't nearly as bad as I thought. I did lightweight, only like 200 lb, but I think I'll stick with them.

Just curious though, why is a regular deadlift more prone to injury than a RDL?

betastas
04-09-2007, 12:07 PM
RDL: You descend the weight to your knees by sticking your butt out backwards . Your knees will bend a fair bit. You should be bending at your hips and knees, back kept totally straight.

I'd say do good mornings. It's a very similar motion, but I find it work way better and carries over well to my deadlift. RDLs don't seem to work as well for me.

Bob
04-09-2007, 12:12 PM
RDLs, DLs, GHRs.. all really have the same level of difficulty and therefore risk, if done incorrectly...

the base explanation of RDLs is an article from the closest thing to the original source:
http://www.marunde-muscle.com/fitness/askem_rdl.html

The RDL is really not that old in the US... read this article from Milo.. to understand that
http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/export/IronMind/Lifts/lifts11.html

It's an awesome exercise... even when done lightly...
In fact, when I try to go heavy with them, I usually don't feel it as much... did them today too.. up to 365.. but the 135 felt more..
**reminder to self.. gotta vid myself doing heavy RDLs to see if I keep my form all the way thru.. lol ***

GL dude.. keep up the hard work..

Natetaco
04-09-2007, 12:50 PM
RDL: You descend the weight to your knees by sticking your butt out backwards . Your knees will bend a fair bit. You should be bending at your hips and knees, back kept totally straight.

I'd say do good mornings. It's a very similar motion, but I find it work way better and carries over well to my deadlift. RDLs don't seem to work as well for me.

your knees are supposed to be bent, but in a fixed position, all movement should be in the hips. and you descend 4-6 inches below your knees.

betastas
04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
your knees are supposed to be bent, but in a fixed position, all movement should be in the hips. and you descend 4-6 inches below your knees.

My knees at the lowest part are bent more then at the start. As I push my butt out, my knees must bend as well. I think we're talking semantics, as we both know that the main movement is done from the hips.

Here's a fairly informative site for the OP:
http://orgs.jmu.edu/strength/Exercise_Technique/romanian_deadlift.htm

Natetaco
04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
My knees at the lowest part are bent more then at the start. As I push my butt out, my knees must bend as well. I think we're talking semantics, as we both know that the main movement is done from the hips.

Here's a fairly informative site for the OP:
http://orgs.jmu.edu/strength/Exercise_Technique/romanian_deadlift.htm

well of course the knees will bend some, but still have to take the bar past the knees.