PDA

View Full Version : Adventure race April 22. Pennsylvania.

manowar669
04-09-2007, 11:40 AM
My fiance (30) and I (37) are both signed in to run the Breakaway Sports adventure race in the coed division, April 22 in Wernersville, PA. http://www.makebreak.com
We've been crossfitting for over 6 months now. We're in good shape, except I hate to run:boring: .

7 mile run, 12 mile mountain bike, and "special challenges".

I was wondering if anyone has run this race, or a similar race and what to expect, especially of the "special challenges" (last year included archery and rifle ranges, I'm a competitive shooter, hope they do that again:cool: ). Any suggestions on training or equipment other than our mountain bikes, camelbaks, and probably some protein/dextrose/creatine, and maybe some gels/powerbars/etc. Bandaids (for blisters etc.), ibuprofen, etc. The race organizers haven't provided us with any additional info, but they say they will shortly.
Thanks.

Unholy
04-09-2007, 11:44 AM
That sounds like a great time, I would drive down and do it with a buddy but I don't think I can run 9 miles =(

Anthony
04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't have any advice, but good luck! We train with a few Adventure Racers and they are nuts ...

NateDogg
04-14-2007, 08:36 AM
I have completed two Hi-Tec adventure races, both in Hartford, CT. Similar stats on the bike and run, add in what if I recall correctly was a 1-2 mile section on inflatable kayaks ("fun-yaks" by Sevlor) and probably similar challenges.

No telling what the challenges may be. Ours were quite creative, albeit difficult to explain without diagrams and lots of words, lol.

On bringing stuff, I think you've got it captured. A couple things we brought to our races included a nylon belt (one of those with the two rings on one end that you snake the belt through to tighten) and a weightlifting belt. Those are the only items we ever actually really used. They came in handy when 1. we were climbing the 12' wall that is the staple at the end of every Hi-Tec race, and whenever the three of us needed to stay "connected" for a challenge in one way or another.

These are a ton of fun. Have a great time with it and let us know how it goes and what they put you through!

Edit: regarding the "additional info" we were told we'd be getting some too. Apparently what they meant by that is we will get a run-down of the challenges while standing at the starting line, lol. Not sure what else you will receive earlier than that.

NateDogg

manowar669
04-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks NateDogg. I gather we will get more info on raceday, as they don't want people practicing the actual events and gaining an unfair advantage.