PDA

View Full Version : questions about get shredded diet

Thotho
04-11-2007, 03:29 PM
I have a few questions. I went from 190 to 203 while keeping the bf% the same and now I'm getting rid of the fat. I was on a really high calorie diet to put on as much muscle as possible and was doing really heavy weights.. 5x5 bench, squats, rows ect. I'm sure you've seen that workout out where you do 5 sets with a max of 5 reps and bump the weight 2.5% a week (if not, let me know I'll send it to you) it put on a ton of weight on to my bench and squats very fast and put inches on as well. Anyway, now its cutting time. The diet I posted below says 2000cal per day with 150g of protein, 50g or carbs and 132g of fats (3 dif kinds of fats). But I doesnt include any protein shakes which is a little weird (to me). So I was thinking of adding it to the diet. The one I use is 28g serving which contains 2g of carbs, 23g of protein, and 120cal per serving. So I was going to take a double scoop after my work out. Which would add 240cal to my daily intake. Anything wrong with that? To get me back to 2000cal would there be anything wrong with doing HIIT (high intensity intreval training) cardio for 20min (sprint, jog, sprint, jog... on a bike) to burn the extra 240cal?

150g or protein doesnt seem like enough to keep the muscle i gained!

Last question, I roller blade all over town, play vball on fridays and maybe wednsdays... so there anything I need to adjust in the diet for that since I'm burning a lot of cal on those days? Or is that a good thing?

also, can someone tell me why I'm eating so much fat on this diet? 132g seems like a lot of fat to be eating if you are trying to get shredded!

****, it wont let me post it cause I dont have 10 posts!!! I'll have to wait to post this and it wont let me attach it cause its 158kb! hopefully you guys have enough info

Mr. D
04-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Dietary fat doesnt lead to you becoming fat. Excess cals do.

The reason I think berardi doesnt call for protein shakes is that they arent filling and the TEF effect of whole foods.

It sounds like you have been running Bill Starrs 5x5.

Basically, its a ketogenic diet with a refeed every 2 weeks. He mentions his workout routine in there as well.

Thotho
04-11-2007, 05:17 PM
yeah, another thing was... I'm thinking of skipping the re-feed and I'm also going from 5x5 to 3x8 to help with the cutting.

Mr. D
04-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I maybe mistaken, but i think there is more to the refeed than just mental sanity.

Also another thing i remembered is that the protein requirement is lower on that diet because he recommends BCAAs. I would skip that and make sure the protein level is 1g/LBM and then fill in the rest with fat and then the allowed carbs.

Hve you looked into Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald. Its a great read that outlines a diet and workout plan with the science behind it all.

Thotho
04-11-2007, 06:25 PM
awesome, i will search the forum for it and also google and do some reading. Thanks man, you have been very helpful. I will look into returning the bcaa and uping the protein.

Built
04-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Why would 3x8 be better for cutting than 5x5?

Thotho
04-11-2007, 06:36 PM
isnt more reps always better for cutting??? 3x5 get big, 3x12 cutting?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-11-2007, 06:42 PM
^^

No. Cutting is all diet. So is gaining weight. You diet to cut the fat and you lift heavy to maintain the muscle you gained on a bulk. Your muscles become "cut" and shredded when you lower your body fat percentage, not because you are doing more reps.

Thotho
04-11-2007, 06:47 PM
sweet, I really didnt want stop my 5x5 to go to 3x8. Perfect, glad you guys told me that!

going to look up the UD2 now

Built
04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
On a cut, your focus changes from hypertrophy to muscle maintenance. Since you need a bigger muscle to lift a five-rep heavy set than an 8-rep lighter set, but you don't have enough food to fuel a volume workout, guess which way you hang onto muscle?

Google "Ripped, Rugged and Dense" by Joel Marion.

Thotho
04-11-2007, 07:37 PM
If you were previously doing hypertrophy work (i.e. 8-12 reps), then it's very possible to gain a few pounds of LBM while training for strength because your muscles aren't accustomed to low-reps.

On the same note, strength training will prime your system for even greater gains once hypertrophy training is resumed. When you go back to the 8-12 range, it will be something completely new, and your muscles will respond beautifully.

source

Ripped, Rugged and Dense" by Joel Marion

This makes a lot of sense but since I'm cutting does it not apply?

FighterInSnatch
04-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Calories Calories Calories. Now stop eating.

Thotho
04-11-2007, 07:39 PM
cutting down to 2000cal from 3500+ is going to be really really hard for me but its only 6 weeks. "now stop eating" I basically am!

dabaugh
04-11-2007, 07:56 PM
thotho, tell me how it goes cause im gonna be doing the exact same thing coming up here in a few mos

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
cutting down to 2000cal from 3500+ is going to be really really hard for me but its only 6 weeks. "now stop eating" I basically am!Why are you dropping 1,500 calories? Have you slowly worked your way down to that or are you just randomly doing that out of the blue?

Thotho
04-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Its not random, I did my bulking cycle and now I'm doing my cutting cycle to get ready for beach volleyball :)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Ok. As long as it was a planned process. :)

Thotho
04-11-2007, 08:40 PM
its been planned for over 4 months :) today was my first day. I didnt take any BCAA and just upped to my protien to 200gs as someone suggested. I can return the BCAA and get my esential fats oil (3, 6, 9) and get another months supply of multi vitamins and my flax oil :)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Yeah...BCAA's are a waste. Here's a good read on fats ~> CLICK ME (http://tinyurl.com/2j9u9f)

Thotho
04-16-2007, 10:59 PM
So I never started the diet, I'm going to hold off and bulk up a bit more, I decided I didnt gain enough muscle yet :) Thanks to everyone for your help, really appreciated!!!