PDA

View Full Version : Really want to squat FASTER!!

teenathlete3030
04-12-2007, 05:59 PM
First off I will say that I am training for a big vertical along with other power benefits. The vertical takes .2 seconds. To give max effort on a lift, it takes .4 to .7 seconds. Therefore it's very important to train the CNS to contract all of the available muscle fibers AS FAST AS POSSIBLE! The more muscles you can contract within that .2 second time frame, the higher the jump. In the same manner, the higher percentage of potential fibers the CNS allows you to use the higher the jump. (Think of it as the difference between a 150 pound guy squatting 200 pounds and a 150 pound guy squatting 400 pounds.) Also, a 150 pound guy squatting 400 pounds in 2 seconds will have a higher jump than a 150 pound guy squatting 400 pounds in 4 seconds.

Therefore not only do I need a massive squat, but I need to squat FAST! Kelly Baggett recommends not going to higher weight if it takes more than 3 seconds per squat, or 4 for a max attempt. I want to take this even further. I want to be like the guy in this video, I think his name is Feck Aranda or something like that. He squats over 600 pounds in 1.5 seconds.

To get this kind of speed at heavy weights, I know it will take time. BUT!! to get there do I:

1. Go with lighter weights that I can lift in 1 second, and keep increasing the weight with the restriction that I can't go any more weight than it takes more than 1.5 or 2 seconds to complete.

or

2. Keep using the same weights I am now and use my mind to focus on pushing the weight as fast as possible, even if it is only moving slowly, like 2 or 3 seconds on the rep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVsTplx_BPo

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVsTplx_BPo if the video doesn't work.

Stumprrp
04-12-2007, 06:02 PM
you need to train your squats heavy, and also train speed squats off of a box, sitting back completely and exploding, these should help.

also try bodyweight stuff like box jumps, squat jumps, ect..

TommyBoy
04-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I'd say a bit if both. Read some of the articles on www.westside-barbell.com as they use the same basic theories you're mentioning.

Sensei
04-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I know I'm going to sound like a **** saying this, but just squat your ass off. Practice jumping. Study and practice proper mechanics. Don't 'time' your squats until you are squatting well over 2xbdwt. Don't overdo or overthink your training.

teenathlete3030
04-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks, that's the kind of advice I was hoping to get. I will just keep using the weights that I am, focusing on getting stronger, and focusing on squatting the weight fast, even though it might not be, just like Kelly B. says to do in his book.

teenathlete3030
04-13-2007, 05:51 AM
I just got an e-mail from kelly b. saying the same thing. He said that some structural elements (like long legs) will prevent some people from ever lifting a max attempt all that fast. Instead just focus on pushing the concentric fast, even though it might not be. Also, he said use control on the eccentric and try not to get a lot of bounce in the transition.

kingfisher
04-13-2007, 06:28 AM
IMO squats are not the main path to a huge vertical. Thou shalt also clean, push press, jump shrug, snatch if you want to be more explosive.

Sensei
04-13-2007, 06:31 AM
I just got an e-mail from kelly b. saying the same thing. He said that some structural elements (like long legs) will prevent some people from ever lifting a max attempt all that fast. Instead just focus on pushing the concentric fast, even though it might not be. Also, he said use control on the eccentric and try not to get a lot of bounce in the transition.Good advice!

Stumprrp
04-13-2007, 07:54 AM
IMO squats are not the main path to a huge vertical. Thou shalt also clean, push press, jump shrug, snatch if you want to be more explosive.

I agree but squats and jumps are a big majority, the explosive lifts will help a great deal also.

Guido
04-13-2007, 08:35 AM
IMO squats are not the main path to a huge vertical. Thou shalt also clean, push press, jump shrug, snatch if you want to be more explosive.I'd say they are equally as important. The cleans, push press, snatch, etc. will help your explosive strength potential, but you also need to increase your maximal strength potential through doing heavy weights on squats and other lower body/back exercises.

RhodeHouse
04-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Too much thinking, not enough action. I ran and jumped and lifted for the NFL scouts on our team day when I was in college. Not one ounce of thought went into it. Yeah, some minor technique things were addressed, but just workout. Stop thinking.

Max Thunder
04-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Anyway how can you precisely measure your squat speed? If you increase your squat, your squat with a lighter weight will be faster. I believe you squat to increase the maximum of units used, and you combine that with explosive lifting/plyometrics to increase the coordination and speed in the use of these units.

Deadlifts are at least as important as squats in my opinion.

Listening to Jump by Van Halen may also help.

teenathlete3030
04-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Yea, power is force x velocity

force is built in the weight room (f=m x a)

Increase squat and increase power. Increase velocity and increase power. Force is much easier to train than velocity, and some acceleration can be built in the weightroom with heavy weights using the correct techniques, mostly due to the nervous system. I was just trying to enhance that part of the equation even more. Velocity work is also accomplished by plyos and explosive lifts as others have mentioned.

I try to keep is simple but it's just too hard. :nod: Once you learn how the body responds to certain types of training, you try to use that knowledge to your advantage, and I'll admit I've tried doing that plenty of times!

Sensei
04-14-2007, 07:14 AM
I think you missed the most important bits of advice in this thread...
Too much thinking, not enough action. I ran and jumped and lifted for the NFL scouts on our team day when I was in college. Not one ounce of thought went into it. Yeah, some minor technique things were addressed, but just workout. Stop thinking.

I know I'm going to sound like a **** saying this, but just squat your ass off. Practice jumping. Study and practice proper mechanics. Don't 'time' your squats until you are squatting well over 2xbdwt. Don't overdo or overthink your training.

JHarris
04-14-2007, 08:10 AM
I think you missed the most important bits of advice in this thread...

I think both Sensei and Rhodehouse have a great point here. Advanced knowledge of training technique is good and all, but is only going to get you a little more. Its for very advanced athletes who are looking for a small edge over other very advanced athletes. They might help you a little, but what would help more is for you to just get stronger and more explosive through conventional means.

Im not saying you shouldn't try to be academic about these things and learn as much as you can. I tend to think that any knowledge will come in useful. But dont lose sight of the forest by staring at the trees too long. Hit your compound exercises hard. Try to be as explosive as possible on your olympic motions. Practice jumping. EAT and REST. If you get too caught up on timing concentric phases, proper toe contraction and correct ocular positioning, you might not be focusing on squatting the weight and getting stronger.

I still applaud you for going the extra mile. Don't stop. Just recognize that you are still in the beginning phases of becoming a powerful athlete, according to your numbers. You have years of getting amazing results ahead of you from doing the more 'basic' methods of using compounds and olympic exercises.

Jay

PowerManDL
04-15-2007, 03:37 AM
Until you get "strong", worrying about speed is pretty pointless. You'll get a power/skill carryover just by improving strength.

Use some specific jumping drills and maybe light plyo-type stuff and you'll be set.

kingfisher
04-18-2007, 04:06 AM
I'd say they are equally as important. The cleans, push press, snatch, etc. will help your explosive strength potential, but you also need to increase your maximal strength potential through doing heavy weights on squats and other lower body/back exercises.

Absolutely. I bow to your superior eloquence.:thumbup: