PDA

View Full Version : When is the time for the PL to introduce equipment?

Clifford Gillmore
04-13-2007, 04:42 AM
Okay, I'm at the point in my training where I choose to advance with the sport, use the shirts/suits or enter RAW competitions. Now, there are pretty much no raw comps in this country so I need to think about being equiped.

My current PR's stand at

Bench 210 @ 215
Squat 350 @ 200
Dead 395 @ 213

My top end of my squat is one of my strengths, the bottom half of my conventional dead is fast and the top end of my sumo is cool, my tri's are weak and I've been doing extra work for them. So, thoughts everyone?

Bob
04-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Just because the competitions are equipped, it doesn't mean you have to be. I would recommend giving a few competitions a try first RAW, then if you do enjoy them and you have a good grasp of what it takes to prepare for a contest, then start buying all the expensive equipment. Heck, by the time you go to a couple of contests, you will have grown in different ways so that you would have to buy different equipment anyway.

GL.. and have fun..

Bob
04-13-2007, 06:21 AM
CAPO Powerlifting-which WPC affliated-is holding RAW competitions:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~capo/
Sat 10 November RAW Push/Pull Titles and Novice Comp
VENUE: TBA

And there is a RAW organization in Australia:
WDFPF Australia
WDFPF Affiliated
Austin Morrison
16 Lakeview Avenue
Merimbula
NSW 2548
Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 6495 1792
alesxandrp@hotmail.com

Anthony
04-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Personally, I'd stay raw as long as you can and build up those numbers. It's reasonable to expect you to hit a raw 1.5xBW bench, 2xBW squat, and 2.5xBW deadlift.

Big o Boy
04-13-2007, 07:11 AM
your lifts look good, but your bench looks to be a little behind. If your triceps are the weakpoint now, I'd really hold off on the bench shirt until you can train them up considerably.

I don't think there's a set weight in your training that you have to hit before you introduce yourself to gear, but you'd probably save yourself a lot of money and headache getting in some RAW comps like bear said, and seeing how you like it. But I don't know for sure... Getting gear now and learning it may be the best way and set you ahead of the crowd as far as learning the equipment. Just know you'll change out equipment quickly.

Stumprrp
04-13-2007, 07:53 AM
im in the same boat wags, considering getting equipment after my ham is healed and back up to strength.

Clifford Gillmore
04-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Bear; I have to fly 6 hours to compete, flights are a little on the highly taxed side here.. I do know of the CAPO, and I attended one of their meets - I actually peaked for the meet and it was pushed back a week, and I couldn't get off work in time to compete (got to spectate the deadlift..)

I completely agree with everyone, bigoboy did bring up the point I didn't stress previously about learning the equipment. I'll figure it out eventually :)

TommyBoy
04-14-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say: go get some gear. I think CR will agree with me. Once you go gear, you never go back.

I have a s**tload of respect for raw lifters; however, your body can only handle so much weight when competing raw. I know for a fact that the equipment does help with injuries.

Honestly, make your own decision. If you wanna stay raw, awesome. If you want to try gear, that's fine too.

Sensei
04-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Buy equipment whenever you want. It isn't like you suddenly turn into a gear whore who can't lift a whit without it. If you care about how much you can lift raw, then don't lift w. equipment outside of contest prep time (6 or so weeks out from a comp).

One thing you'll want to avoid is the temptation to seek out new and better equipment when you hit a plateau... I'm not saying you won't ever want or need higher end equipment, but you want a growing total to be a reflection of increasing strength, not better gear.

Chris Rodgers
04-14-2007, 03:09 PM
I agree with the two stupids above me.

Don't take that personally fellas, they just don't have a smilie for that. :)

Bob
04-14-2007, 06:35 PM
T-Boy and Chris.. not that you are biased at all.. :)
But think back to when you guys first started PL'ing? Don't you agree that getting raw strength and experienced helped you?

And Tommy.. I will never forget one of the first posts you made on WBB.. when Sensei asked you why you were putting competing on hold for a while..

Several reasons really. The obvious ones are that the gear and drugs are getting so badly out of control that it kind of turns me off competing all together.

And Chris, in reading thru your first journal.. I think you had a lot of experience under your belt.. and a lot of freakish strength for a 148'er before you put on the gear and got even more freakish..

And Sensei.. I'm most surprised by your answer... from the man who fights Squat suits better then anyone...lol.. and films them. Should a 1st timer have to do that? if they don't even know if they will enjoy competing? put your coaches hat back on! :)

Don't get me wrong.. all 3 of you have much more PL'ing experience then I do... but even in reading up on Westside, etc.. gear should be after a certain raw strength level is achieved. And 90-95% of training is still raw... no?

Unholy
04-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Chris Made me use gear my second week powerlifting. He is a gear whore.:hello:

Clifford Gillmore
04-14-2007, 06:48 PM
And 90-95% of training is still raw... no?

Yup. The westside guys only throw the gear on once in a blue moon, or even only at competition time. That can say all I need to do is top end work for everything, but I'm inclined to disagree. I guess it puts it all down to experience with the equipment, learning the grooves, all that kind of thing.

Everyone has made some great points, this could be a nice reference post for people in the same situation as me - so keep all of your thoughts coming guys!

Sensei
04-14-2007, 09:41 PM
But think back to when you guys first started PL'ing? Don't you agree that getting raw strength and experienced helped you?...I don't. What did he say?

And Sensei.. I'm most surprised by your answer... from the man who fights Squat suits better then anyone...lol.. and films them. Should a 1st timer have to do that? if they don't even know if they will enjoy competing? put your coaches hat back on! :)Geez Bear, you make it sound like I'm recommending he go out and buy top of the line stuff... A reasonably snug, single-ply, lower end poly suit will give him some support and not be difficult to learn at all. Bench shirts can be a little trickier IMHO, but still if he doesn't buy something too extreme and tight, he should be fine.
...and who doesn't enjoy competing?

Don't get me wrong.. all 3 of you have much more PL'ing experience then I do... but even in reading up on Westside, etc.. gear should be after a certain raw strength level is achieved. And 90-95% of training is still raw... no?I could be wrong (and I haven't been following PL lately), but I think a lot of the better equipped lifters are using more equipment in their training these days, but anyway yeah, if 90-95% of training is going to be raw anyway, what's the harm in throwing on a suit or shirt once in a while?

betastas
04-14-2007, 11:26 PM
I've recently started training with some local PLers. One of them found a shirt small enough to fit me, and so I've been using that for the past few weeks to train in on Saturdays. What I've realized is that if I'm serous about getting into PLing, at the very least I should try using equipment, learn how to use it properly, and decide how I prefer to lift. I might decide that I want to go raw later, I might decide that I want to focus more on equipped. The only real issue is that if you never try it and learn it, you'll never know what you're actually deciding to do.

The way I see it is that equipment, for the most part, is just part of the game. There are a variety of feds with different regulations, a variety of ideas regarding equipment, lack thereof, and everything in between.The inclusion of equipment adds another technical aspect to the sport and creates another variable to be tinkered with. Equipment isn't going to make you a better lifter. It's going to allow you to lift equipped. That's it. The caliber of lifter you'll end up being is entirely based on you, with or without equipment.

Personally, I'd say get into equipment and learn what you can. If you know any powerlifters who you can train with, go and see them to get you started. I wouldn't have touched equipment at all by myself - I didn't know where to start, what to do, how to do it, etc. One session learning from an experienced lifter is worth many tens of sessions trying to figure it out on your own.

Unholy
04-14-2007, 11:30 PM
One session learning from an experienced lifter is worth many tens of sessions trying to figure it out on your own.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Chris Rodgers
04-14-2007, 11:53 PM
If you plan to lift in today's gear(gangsta gear) you need to use it often. Training at Westside or any other top powerlifting gym is not 90-95% RAW.

Risk said he wanted to compete. I suggest getting some gear and trying it. You can always fall back on competing unequipped if you don't feel right in the gear....but you never know unless you try.

Big o Boy
04-15-2007, 06:13 AM
I know they (at Westside) like to train in briefs/squat suits a lot, but I've heard some say briefs are considered RAW anyway... So I bet they train RAW more than one would think. :p :hide:

TommyBoy
04-15-2007, 11:19 AM
But think back to when you guys first started PL'ing? Don't you agree that getting raw strength and experienced helped you?

And Tommy.. I will never forget one of the first posts you made on WBB.. when Sensei asked you why you were putting competing on hold for a while..

I agree Bear. You gotta have a strong raw foundation first and foremost. Yeah I was questioning the whole point of competing (now with the APF/Westside falling out, I'm still questioning it) and wasn't sure if it was worth it. But then I realized that I honestly don't train so I can compete; I compete so I have a reason to train. I also remembered the good things about competing: meeting great people, watching superhuman feats of strength, and knowing that I have the ability to do things on the platform that any normal person would consider crazy.

If you plan to lift in today's gear(gangsta gear) you need to use it often. Training at Westside or any other top powerlifting gym is not 90-95% RAW.
Honestly, this is true. If you want to remain competitive, you have to level the playing field. For the record, the majority of my tops sets in the gym are done with briefs on. I break out the suits every so often, and I never train in knee wraps. I do believe raw strength still serves a purpose for the gear whores like me and CR.

Clifford Gillmore
04-22-2007, 04:57 AM
A big thanks to everyone and their input! Hopefully everyone will drop back into this thread to help me out with some equipment directions.

Okay for benchies, this is my style.

Ring fingers on the rings, I like to arch (a 4" pipe is a joke, and I've never trained to stretch out my back with it, I can do a 6" pipe comfortably), I'm elbows in, I bench to my upper ab and I bench in straight line from there with my forearms verticle as I can get them (but not to the extent of being a belly bencher, I've never dumped the bar). I don't bench the bar over my face, I could be a bigger bencher if I did - but I want to bring my tris up to snuff (they rappidly are). I wore 1mmot4ls HD EHP Blast and it went on pretty easy, it would of been a size up for me and I felt pretty comfortable in that.

The Shirts I've looked at;

Rage - X, F-6, Katana (This seems like the best option for me so far), HD EHP Blast, Phenom. I don't know anything about the metal shirts that EFS sells, and if anyone could chime in about them I'd be happy to hear it :)

I squat wide, and I can always be wider. I also deadlift with my feet touching the plates, and I really like to sit back into the lift.

I know nothing about sqaut suits, period.. The Inzer TXR?

Thanks a heap for your input guys! I've got a budget of about 500$, so that should easily get me a shirt/suit and a band pack including shipping, with a few dollars left for a dvd or two :)

Clifford Gillmore
04-22-2007, 07:28 AM
OH, and inzer has an open back velcro double denim for 100$, what are your thoughts on that? Its legal in the CAPO to my knowledge, so I'm not restriced to single ply stuff in their rules (there is no mention of gear...)