PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Diet (please critque)

devo
04-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been cutting for a while now (seriously since december) and have dropped from 212 to about 198. By the way, I'm 29 and 5' 10.5". It seems I've plateaued a bit in the fat loss and would appreciate some feedback/suggestions to get things back on track. I'd like to get down another 15lbs (185ish) and then start bulking.

I'm not too sure about my body fat but my salter scale says I went from 32% down to 26% (those numbers have to be way off but I'm going with the relative changes). The math looks like this:

Weight(lbs) BF % Lean Fat

212 0.302 147.97 64.024
198 0.26 146.52 51.48
--------------------------------------------
Totals :
LBM Lost: 1.456 lbs
Fat Lost: 12.544

As for diet, here's my fitday log http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=sjdenny

Training is usually 4 days of heavy compound lifting with 2-3 days of HIIT tossed in (15-20 mins with warm up/cool down).

Thanks

Stephen

p.s Thanks to Built for all her sound advice that I've picked up along the way

KingJustin
04-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Your diet looks pretty good. You're eating the right foods and your macro breakdown looks good.

That in mind ..
Nutrient timing - I don't use fitday, so maybe I'm just not reading it right, but I think the timing of your nutrients is absolutely critical. Could you write down what time you have each meal?
Vegetables - You're not eating .. any .. real vegetables. Eat vegetables.
Macros - Even though I said your macros look pretty good, if it were me, I would drop the carbs even more, and up the protein slightly. Maybe slightly fewer calories. Fats look good where they're at.

You might also want to consider cycling carbs...but that's a major change, and you can probably get by with just some tweaks.

By any chance can you guess what your fat % is? If it's really about 26%, then don't bother cycling carbs, you should be fine lifting, doing HIIT/circuits, and cutting calories. If it's more like 10%, I'd cycle carbs.

devo
04-14-2007, 06:36 PM
my diet varies from week to week but generally speaking this is what it usually looks like:

M1:
2 large eggs + 1/2 to 3/4 cup whites
2 slices deli rye bread w/ 1.5 ounce cheddar/mozza + tomato OR 1/2 cups oats + 1/2 cup frozen berries + 1/2 cup milk
coffee

M2:
1 oz almonds OR 1 cup yogurt + berries

M3:
romaine + chicken breast + oil/vinegar + peppers tomates etc OR chicken + rice OR chicken/tuna wrap

M4:
1.5 cups milk + 1 scoop ON Whey

M5:
beef/chicken + rice + veggie

M6:
2 scoops ON Whey + 50g dextrose (25g on lighter gym days)

M7:
1 cup Cottage cheese + 1/2 cup pineapple + 1 Tbsp Natty PB

10g of fish oil spread out throughout the day
multi vit + vit C

As for veggies, I don't always track the non starchy ones on fit day (lettuce,peppers, broccoli , asparagus etc). I'd say I definately get enough in that department.

I have cycled carbs in the past (pre and post workout only + sometimes breakfast). This past week or so has seen carbs spread out across most meals.

as for BF% I'd guess it's closer to 15%. I can definately knock the carbs down a bit.. carb cycling should limit them to about 150 grams or so.

KingJustin
04-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Ok ... that looks pretty good for the most part. Still, a couple small things:

1 - It seems like you work out pretty late. It's pretty ideal to work out no less than 6 hours before you go to sleep. I'd consider working out earlier and throwing M2/M3 to after your workout if at all possible.

2 - You said you take your fish oil throughout the day .. I'd try to avoid taking any fats with carbs (rice seems to be the only real source). Stick to either protein + fat meals or protein + carb meals. I also wouldn't have any carbs except in the morning and right before/after you workout. At 198lbs, I'd drop the cals to a little under 2400, maybe even a little lower. That's bw x 12, which is usually a good formula.

3 - Are you doing any HIIT? How about complexes?
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm

That's all minor stuff, though. The main thing is just going to be to drop the calories a bit. Maybe try a fat burner. You know what you're doing though.

devo
04-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Ok ... that looks pretty good for the most part. Still, a couple small things:

1 - It seems like you work out pretty late. It's pretty ideal to work out no less than 6 hours before you go to sleep. I'd consider working out earlier and throwing M2/M3 to after your workout if at all possible.

I usually work out after dinner (7 or 8pm). I never heard of the 6 hour before bed bit though. At that rate, I'd had finish by 6pm in order to meet that criteria. I have tried the morning workouts in the past but I find evening workout seem to work better with my schedule. BTW, Meals 2-4 are during work hours ( snack, lunch, snack).

2 - You said you take your fish oil throughout the day .. I'd try to avoid taking any fats with carbs (rice seems to be the only real source). Stick to either protein + fat meals or protein + carb meals. I also wouldn't have any carbs except in the morning and right before/after you workout. At 198lbs, I'd drop the cals to a little under 2400, maybe even a little lower. That's bw x 12, which is usually a good formula.

I'm always aware of the whole F+C meal combo. I'd say i might get the odd bit of fat in with a P+C meal but not much. I'm definately going to more strict in this regards. I'll also switch back to carbs in the AM and Pre/post workout.

And yeah, the cals probably need to drop a bit. I used to hover around 2400 cals for a while and then noticed that I was able to bump it up (slowly) to 2800-2900 while still losing and maintaining my lifts (even got stronger on bench ,squats and deads). I figured that if I could get away cutting on 2800 with weights and HIIT then why lower my cals? Apparently this has stopped working :)

3 - Are you doing any HIIT? How about complexes?
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm

Yes, HIIT is pretty much all I do for cardio. definately no longer SS sessions. HIIT for me is usually:
5 mins warmup (4mph/ 4% incline)
10-12 mins (30 sec at 10-12mph, 30-45 secs at 4mph (all at 0% incline)
5-10 mins of cool down (4mph/ 4% incline)

That's all minor stuff, though. The main thing is just going to be to drop the calories a bit. Maybe try a fat burner. You know what you're doing though.

Yeah, dropping the cals by a few hundred and cycling the carbs should do the trick. I kind of figured that was going to be the case but just wanted to make sure. At this point it's just the small tweaks that will make the difference.

Thanks for the help Justin

Mr. D
04-14-2007, 09:20 PM
If you been on a caloric deficit since December, have you considered eating maintence for 2 weeks and jumping back into it?

I dont know about the 6 hours before bedtime bit either, maybe justin can post some links on that.

You could also throw in some SS cardio after you finish lifting. Nothing major, like 3.5mph @ high incline for like 15-20 mins.

devo
04-14-2007, 09:34 PM
The past 3 weeks have probably been close to maintence when I consider what I've eaten etc. 6 weeks ago I was doing keto for 3 weeks and lost about 5lbs during that time. However, after 3 weeks on CKD I actually got tired of eating just fat and protein (the carbups kinda killed the weekends too).

Since January, I've likely had a few weeks here and there where I was edging closer to maintenance. In general, my body fat has dropped and I've maintained or even improved some lifts, so I really can't complain.
I suppose its just getting that last 15 off that seems to be really difficult (like I didn't know this was coming!).

Like I mentioned before, I'm switching back to carb cycling (as per Built) which has worked in the past and dropping the cals by 300-400... I might need to step up the cardio a tad (in which case I'll add more steady stead post HIIT).

Hopefully in a month's time I can report back with some nice results.

Mr. D
04-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Good luck man!

LouPac
04-15-2007, 12:43 AM
6 hours before bedtime???:scratch:

devo
04-15-2007, 07:46 AM
6 hours before bedtime???:scratch:

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. If that were the case, most people probably wouldn't get a chance to work out. The only problem I have with working out late is that sometimes it keeps me from getting to sleep. Usually its post lifting cardio (especially HIIT) that's the worst. That being said, I usually try to finish lifting by 9:30 or 10:00pm at the latest

KingJustin
04-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Ugh, having trouble finding the article that noted it with references.

At any rate, the concept is that in the morning, your energy levels are pretty high. They gradually decrease as the day goes on. To go to sleep, your energy levels need to be very low. Working out bumps these energy levels (and therefore metabolism) up for about 6 hours. If you workout, and then are able to go to sleep 2 hours afterwards, you're missing 4 hours of higher metabolism.

Again, it's really nit picky and you might not notice any huge difference.

Also, I would definitely do some of those complexes (check the link) in addition to HIIT. Those things are killer for burning fat. And yeah, I somehow forgot to mention refeeds. Throw in a refeed day once every couple of weeks after you drop your calories again (or just carb cycle and it'll work out the same).