PDA

View Full Version : Body fat % measurements - by scale?

TheVrolok
04-14-2007, 08:20 PM
The gym on campus has a room designated for fitness testing, they can do a whole workup for you, but I just go in to check my bf%. I just recently heard about this so I've just started monitoring my bf% but I'm wondering how accurate it is. They use a scale with electrodes to measure resistance - I forgot to check for a brand name. The first time I went in, it was measured at 19.5%, then, a week and a half later I went in again - after losing 5-6 lbs - and it measured 25%. There's no way I put on 5% (roughly 10-13 lbs of fat) while losing 5-6 lbs on the scale (meaning I would have to have lost quite a bit of non-fat weight to account for the overall loss and fat gain). I'm now just wondering about the accuracy of such a device, I imagine if I just average the two and look around 22-23% that might be accurate?

ddegroff
04-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a Bioimpedence device, completely worthless.

Get you BF% done by DEXA or Calipers.

TheVrolok
04-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Sounds like a Bioimpedence device, completely worthless.

Get you BF% done by DEXA or Calipers.

Is that how many of you get it done? I'm just curious because it seems like it'd be rather costly unless perhaps you just bought your own calipers over the long run .. even then, how can you be sure you're using them properly?

Unholy
04-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Calipers are like 13 bucks and easy to use.

TheVrolok
04-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Calipers are like 13 bucks and easy to use.

Any recommendation on a good pair?

Unholy
04-14-2007, 11:12 PM
I have the accumeasure 3000 from www.boybuilding.com

They are great for tracking drops in BF % even if the initial measurement isn't exact.