PDA

View Full Version : Handstand pushups?

Hazerboy
04-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Is anyone here really good at these? Is there any sort of progression? My balance in the handstand position is also awful - is there any way to improve this?

04-15-2007, 02:09 PM
not exactly sure why you would need to do these but if you kick up into a handstand against the wall and do them that way that will at least get you doing them w/o worrying about balance

muscleup
04-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Use a wall like 8.8 said. Practice just the handstand against a wall every chance you get. The idea is to get comfortable standing on your hands.

Progression for the actual push up will come after you are more comfotable standing on your hands. Progression is usually elevated push-ups, where your feet are elevated on a bench or hanging from a parallell bar. Partial reps are also part of the progression, where you would stack books (or something) under your head and proceed to do partial reps.

manowar669
04-16-2007, 10:22 AM
not exactly sure why you would need to do these

These are basically like doing shoulder presses with most of your bodyweight, except there's a lot of other muscles getting involved to maintain your balance. It also strengthens your hands and forearms. Exercises like this also train your balance (your cerebellum gets involved), if that makes sense. I do a lot of them with crossfit, I enjoy them.

brownbear
04-16-2007, 09:08 PM
not exactly sure why you would need to do these

I saw a drunk guy doing these on a moving subway train once. If it does nothing else, it is very impressive at the least.

manowar669
04-17-2007, 06:09 AM
I saw a drunk guy doing these on a moving subway train once. If it does nothing else, it is very impressive at the least.

I missed that crossfit workout, but I'm looking forward to when it comes up again.:p

smokinHawk
04-17-2007, 11:29 AM
i used to do them when i was in gymnasics. hardest part was balance, takes a while, even with knowing how to walk on my hands like i did.
i usually would start off in the hand stand posistion then go down slowly touch my head, then up and repeat. Id practice with my feet on a wall but you dont learn balance without doing it out in the open.
been so long since ive done them id needs some balance practice if i could do them again.