PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some Fullback Training

coolcat5191
04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
well its the offseason once again and am starting a new position as a full back and a free saftey. The thing is the positions are i little opposite of eachother fullback much heavier big stronger while the safty in quick strong and has agility. What are some exercises or a good solid projram i could to to train for a fullback. im currently 5'9 about 160lbs. i need to put on weight, add strengh, and speed as well. thanks

Jinkies
04-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Besides the basics big 3 I would reccomend doing some strongman type lifts.

Maybe some farmers walk, go out to a field and host a decent weight and do 40 meter sprints holding the dumbells. It will help generate explosive power and give you a better grip on the ball and a strong neck to lay people out.

Bako Lifter
04-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Besides the big 3 do lots of power cleans. Those promote extreme explosiveness.

North
04-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Is linebacker spot full? I don't know if you would rather play FS but maybe you should try to beat out one of the linebackers.

roadrunner22
04-19-2007, 12:20 PM
First of all is this JV or Varsity football? Either way I would say to put on some weight maybe get up to 170-175 because at 5'9 you'd be pretty solid. Bako and Jinkies are dead on with the lifts you should do IMO. Fullback and safety are two very different postitions especially on varsity i could see someone playing both on JV though.

hitman44
04-21-2007, 06:23 PM
i was looking for just this question around three years ago! basically what i did was take an old tire and cut a piece of plywood to fit inside of it. then drill a hile into the tread and place an eye bolt through it. stack loose weights inside the tire. use a pull rope or chain and run it through the eye bolt, strap it to your lifting belt and pull. start out slow and short, about 15-20 yards, (dont run)! continue to add weights and go for longer distace when your legs can take it. you can pul using alot of diferent ways to work your legs. short steps, long strides, duck walk, basically anything you can do to build your legs. you'll be knockin middle linebackers d*** in the dirt in no time! good luck

Mr. D
04-21-2007, 11:47 PM
I can see a FB playing LB and I can see a RB or WR playing FS but I cant imagine a FB playing FS.

Bill Parcells centered his lifting programs around olympic lifts like clean and jerk for explosiveness and strength.

Gunshow
04-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Besides the basics big 3 I would reccomend doing some strongman type lifts.

Maybe some farmers walk, go out to a field and host a decent weight and do 40 meter sprints holding the dumbells. It will help generate explosive power and give you a better grip on the ball and a strong neck to lay people out.

Yeah farmers walks are amazing for football, other than that and the big3 i would probly just do alot of foot work drills, & speed and agility work, especially since you want to play FS.but yeah just like everyone else said i cant imagine a FB playing FS, maybe you should go outside LB or Halfback? you would still probably get to do quite a bit of pass coverage, and alot more blitzing and stuff, def a better position for a bigger guy(muscular).

Scorpion32
05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Is linebacker spot full? I don't know if you would rather play FS but maybe you should try to beat out one of the linebackers.

There are many instances where a FB Might play a FS. We have no clue what type of D his teams runs. Anymore a saftey is pretty much a LB that might have some speed. In most cases it is that he is actually a TB but there is a stud in front of him but he is still pretty good, so inorder to get your best 11 on the fiels you would move this guy to a FB position. Or the opposit could happen, some stud LB's are in front of him and he is still one of the better players so lets find a spot for him instead of having him be a backup. Lets move him to FS. too many to mentintion them all:scratch: .