PDA

View Full Version : my idea, does this make sense?

Eric Cartman
04-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Okay, since bulking or cutting for long periods drives me crazy, I have an interesting idea..

How about 2 week bulk, followed by 2 week cut, rinse and repeat...

You could gain a bit of muscle, lose the fat, and then just keep doing it, and you would never get tired of either phase..

Is there any reason this couldn't work?

EC

RedSpikeyThing
04-16-2007, 10:41 AM
I started a thread about that a while ago that might be helpful http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=80075

I would be interested in hearing the more up to date opinions, though.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-16-2007, 11:43 AM
That's not going to be effective. Your body needs a lot more time to adjust to differing caloric intakes and diet changes in general. The cycles need to be farther apart than 2 weeks.

Eric Cartman
04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
So RedSpikey, did you end up trying the idea, and did you have any success with it?

Progress
04-16-2007, 12:36 PM
That's not going to be effective. Your body needs a lot more time to adjust to differing caloric intakes and diet changes in general. The cycles need to be farther apart than 2 weeks.

Are you sure about that?

RedSpikeyThing
04-16-2007, 12:48 PM
So RedSpikey, did you end up trying the idea, and did you have any success with it?

Sorry to say I didn't end up trying it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Are you sure about that?If you want to counter what I said, then do so. Unless you were really just asking me a question. I could be wrong. If I am, please point me in the right direction.

RedSpikeyThing
04-16-2007, 01:46 PM

What kind of "adjusting" would it need to do? It's not like it's going to say "oh geez, there's extra calories - I guess I'll ignore them for a while."

I agree that over 2 weeks your results would be negligible, but I would imagine that several months of this could lead to results.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Possibly. I've never tried it. It just seems like extra work to me, though. I'm just guessing here. Your body adjusts to many things all the time. If you're barely eating for an extended period of time, your metabolism slows down to a screeching hault and your digestive tract tends to shrink a bit because there isn't much bulk passing through it. I'm just assuming that two weeks of bulking followed by two weeks of caloric restriction doesn't seem like it would be very effective. But I don't have any experience with this type of dieting, nor will I ever try it in the future...so that probably won't help. :p

04-16-2007, 02:25 PM
seems to me like you might as well just eat at maintenance - two weeks bulk two week cut will basically just cancel it out or you might end up gaining some since its much easier to put on weight then lose it

what are your goals with this program?

Progress
04-16-2007, 02:34 PM
If you want to counter what I said, then do so. Unless you were really just asking me a question. I could be wrong. If I am, please point me in the right direction.

In UD2 you're cycling between a catabolic/low-carb phase and an anabolic/high carb phase within the same week.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-16-2007, 05:07 PM
In UD2 you're cycling between a catabolic/low-carb phase and an anabolic/high carb phase within the same week.Um...so that's low carbs and high carbs. Is that also low calories and high calories? I have the UD2.0 book, but I haven't read it yet. :(

Chubrock
04-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Um...so that's low carbs and high carbs. Is that also low calories and high calories? I have the UD2.0 book, but I haven't read it yet. :(

It equates to just that. Most calories on the low carb days are kept at around 12-1500. The calories on your carb up days are well north of 4000.

Progress
04-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Um...so that's low carbs and high carbs. Is that also low calories and high calories? I have the UD2.0 book, but I haven't read it yet. :(

I would think "catabolic" would suffice for low calorie and "anabolic" high. Chubs cleared it up.

Chubrock
04-16-2007, 06:18 PM
There is a lot more to it than just low calorie/ high calorie though, so to compare the two diets isn't really fair.

Progress
04-16-2007, 06:21 PM
There is a lot more to it than just low calorie/ high calorie though, so to compare the two diets isn't really fair.

True. I was just questioning his original argument of:

Chubrock
04-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh yea, I understand. I was making the statement in general so that people didn't confuse the two.

Progress
04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Word.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Hmm...well thanks for clearing that up. I haven't had the chance to read it yet. I should um...go do that. :p

Maki Riddington
04-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm just assuming that two weeks of bulking followed by two weeks of caloric restriction doesn't seem like it would be very effective.

Do a search on the ABC diet. This is basically what the diet entails. Overeat for two and weeks and change your training to meet the overabundance of food and then half your calories for another two weeks.

The concept is good to it but it needs some tweaking.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Eesh. I'll read up on both, thanks. :)

Mr. D
04-16-2007, 09:34 PM
there is another diet on another message boards that is similiar Intermittent Fast.

Though with U2.0 even with the carbups i still believe you are in a deficit for the week. Lyles basic premise is to burn fat and not have any muscle loss and even gain some LBM.

Eric Cartman
04-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Well the idea is that you never get bored with one cycle or the other... just when you're sick of cutting and your body feels like a change, you start the other cycle.. then when you are getting burnt out, you go back, etc

Another idea behind this is that you avoid physical extremes, like becoming too fat... by shortening your cycles you guarantee that your body fat will stay at a reasonable level.

Perhaps the time cycle would need to be tweaked, such as 4 weeks bulking, 3 weeks cutting... or perhaps 5 and 3....

Maybe I will try this strategy and post my results..

My overall goal is to eventually be bigger and in good shape, dont have a specific number I'd like to achieve yet

EC

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I know last time you put on too much fat for your liking. Just try it and tell us how it goes.

shootermcgavin7
04-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Do a search on the ABC diet. This is basically what the diet entails. Overeat for two and weeks and change your training to meet the overabundance of food and then half your calories for another two weeks.

The concept is good to it but it needs some tweaking.

I think I remember seeing this almost a decade ago, have there been any "updates" to it since then? Or is UD2 Lyle's best of both from ABC and CKD?

Eszekial
04-17-2007, 08:16 AM
I've done UD2... It works great.

I wont lie though, it's very hard to follow.

Eric Cartman
08-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Well an update on this method... it definitely works. Cycling in and out of difference calorie levels doesn't slow my progress at all... I'm always able to either lose the weight, or gain some LBM... maybe my body is just able to adjust to either cycle quickly for some reason.. anyhow, I haven't seen HUGE gains with this method, but I've been doing 3 weeks bulk, 2 weeks cut, and seen some gains..

EC

ddegroff
08-11-2007, 01:04 PM
What are these great gains?

Did you measure your bf? Your weight? what?

Please share, I'm curious about methods like this.

BBB
08-11-2007, 01:46 PM
With IF you basically do this daily.

Howard 9
08-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I have seen a bodybuilder who says he will do like 6 week bulk, 2 week cut. Says you gotta go into a cut right after a bulk and vice versa to take advantage of hormones.

Paul Stagg
08-12-2007, 07:24 AM
You should ask him what hormones, and by what process, because that's news to me.

Short alternating (2 week) phases can be effective, but I've never seen them more effective than longer term dieting phases. Short phases make it much harder to track progress, but if it works for you, have at it.

Biggins
08-12-2007, 02:44 PM
I have to add here that everytime I start a bulk I look amazing for first 2 to 3 weeks then something goes worng and fat starts piling on.Its like I supersompensate stroing all the nutrients into muscle for 2 weesk and then they start shutting down and most food starts turning to fat.

Theres a natural bodybuilding champ that swears by this method.He states that while its slower overtime to gain muscle in the end you end up with more since your not dieting for prolonged time.

Eric Cartman
08-12-2007, 07:39 PM
I have to add here that everytime I start a bulk I look amazing for first 2 to 3 weeks then something goes worng and fat starts piling on.Its like I supersompensate stroing all the nutrients into muscle for 2 weesk and then they start shutting down and most food starts turning to fat.

Theres a natural bodybuilding champ that swears by this method.He states that while its slower overtime to gain muscle in the end you end up with more since your not dieting for prolonged time.

Which method? The 6 week bulk 2 week cut?

As for me, I'm simply having a difficult time getting the ratio correct... 2 weeks bulking, 1 week cutting seems to be what I've settled into lately. I admit the gains are rather slow, I don't really have anything to brag about yet... but I do see progress, so at least I know it works..

Another method I've considered trying is several weeks bulking followed by like INTENSE cardio and activity for a few days.. at least this slows down the fat gain.. Today I did like an hour cardio, played golf, played pick-up basketball, went on a date, and ate practically nothing,... maybe this will reverse the fat gain just long enough...

EC

greekboy80
08-13-2007, 08:02 AM

I have noticed the same thing too. I have recently been thinking about cycling the bulking and cutting through out the "bulk months"(i.e. October through March). I was more on the level of 4 weeks of bulking, then 2 weeks cutting.

I usually gain a lot of fat(25-30 pounds) during my winter bulk. I think cycling the bulking and cutting through the winter could minimize that.

What's there to lose?