PDA

View Full Version : recovery

Still trying
04-16-2007, 08:00 AM
I am 59 years old and have been powerlifting for three years. I am having trouble recovering from work outs. also have tendon problems in my elbows.
I only compete in the benchpress because of lower back problems. Can anyone give me some help?
Thank You

Detard
04-16-2007, 08:09 AM
you might wanna try ETS from at large nutrition if your recovery times are very long. That's about the only thing I can think of to decrease recovery time. I'm sure some of the other members will offer better advice.

Sidior
04-16-2007, 09:02 AM
More information would help as well. Do you take anything to help your joints? Do you ice regularly?

Bohizzle
04-16-2007, 09:10 AM
What kind of split are u doing?

Still trying
04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Sidior- I probably do not ice often enough but I do take fish oil b-complex and glucosamine.
Bohizzle- I train 3 day a week Monday-Bench(changes when training for a meet) chest supported rows- hammers.
Wed-incline press close grip bench floor press overhead cable pulls and lat pulls.
Fri overhead cable pulls seated rows db shrugs close grip bench incline db press all are 3-4 sets most 8 reps some 15 reps
Best meet bench with shirt on march 10/07 375

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
1). AtLargeNutrition: E.T.S.

2). After each workout, ice each elbow for 20 mins.

3). Increase protein intake from AtLargeNutrition Nitrean.

4). Omega 3-Fatty acid supplement.

5). Multi-joint supplement.

6). Drink 1 gallon of H20 everyday.

7.) Before & after your workout, rub horse liniment on your elbow.

8). Cut back the volume.

9). Try doing 3-5 reps for awhile instead of singles.

10). Go visit a sports medicine doctor.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
http://www.myspace.com/bigwillie12345

waynedang
04-16-2007, 10:52 AM
You are doing benching movements three times a week. i have a hard time doing them twice a week sometimes and I an 26years younger. You have to remember you are not 18 anymore. One of my training partners is 51 he trains bench 2x's a week unless he feels beat up then only 1x. It has worked really well for him. He benched 705 in Jan!

TommyBoy
04-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Definitely ice the sore areas, keep doing the hammer curls, as they pump blood to the muscles near and around the elbow, also use the liniment as suggested by NASAKYCHAIRMAN, and also I would suggest some hypertrophy work either after benching, or on a totally seperate day. For example: grab a pair of dumbells and lay on the bench and keep repping for 3 min straight, or you can do the same with tricep pushdowns using a band. This will pump blood into the muscles you use on bench (delts, pecs, tri's) and thus, help it recover quicker. Honestly, I'd say just do 2 days of benching per week, and maybe a lat/upper back day, and a shoulder day.

chris mason
04-17-2007, 03:02 PM
I am 59 years old and have been powerlifting for three years. I am having trouble recovering from work outs. also have tendon problems in my elbows.
I only compete in the benchpress because of lower back problems. Can anyone give me some help?
Thank You

No bull****, ETS should truly be of benefit to you.

Please give it a try.

Chris

joelhall
04-22-2007, 11:07 AM
don't train at high intensity all the time, vary it. And eat a LOT! That's the best way to help recovery times.