PDA

View Full Version : New guy here...advice appreciated!

badvtx1
04-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Hey all,

I have been lurking on the forum for a while, but finally decided to register/post. I am 27yrs old, 6'4" 248lbs. Like most, I'm looking to trim down on the fat and put muscle on as well. I have lifted on and off over the past couple of years, but a hand, then a shoulder/elbow injury made me get off track. Late in 2005, I was following the MAX OT program, and had success with adding muscle and getting a lot stronger. Since I've been out of commission for about 9 months, my diet was horrible, and now I'm looking to cut as quickly as possible.

I just started back in the gym this week, and am debating between starting back up on the MAX OT routine, or following something more like the 'body for life' routine suggests. (reps: 12-10-6-8-12-12) for the large muscle groups.

I am trying to keep a clean diet, balancing my protein/carbs, and keeping below 2,000 calories per day. I know this isn't ideal for building a lot of muscle, but I need to get rid of the fat as quick as I can.

I am also doing 20mins of high intensity cardio after lifting.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Below are some pics. Sorry for the quality of pic. I had to use the webcam since my digitial is broken, and I couldn't get a good leg picture.

badvtx1
04-18-2007, 07:27 PM
anyone? Is there any other useful info I could provide?

j4l4l
04-21-2007, 12:20 PM
start a decent clean cut, cut the fat off and then do a slow bulk :) watch your diet! check out the diet/nutrition forum!

samj
04-21-2007, 04:41 PM
yep lose the fat. Then go on a slow bulk. clean foods chubby!

CiteCollegiale
04-21-2007, 06:34 PM
I am also doing 20mins of high intensity cardio after lifting.

Try and separate your cardio from your lifting as much as you can. What kind of HIIT do you do?
You have some good mass on you cut weight slowly and drink lots of water.

badvtx1
04-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info. As for my current diet, I try to balance protein/carbs with every meal.

Breakfast
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 slice wheat toast
1 tsp peanut butter

snack

1/2 serving almonds

lunch

turkey sandwich w/ whole grain oat nut bread
fat free yogurt
lays baked chips (sometimes)

snack

1/2 serving almonds

dinner

chicken breast or center cut pork loin or 93% lean ground burger
veggies and/or brown rice

sometimes I will also use a wheat tortilla and 2% cheese to make a chicken quesadilla or pork quesadilla.

Current supplements
vp2 whey protein before & after working out
micronized creatine

As for my HIIT routine, it's typically 20mins of high intensity cardio on an elliptical. usually burn close to 400 calories according to the machine.

CiteCollegiale
04-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Your diet seems clean maybe switch the toast for some oatmeal and the yogurt for 2 bananas. Also add a bit of beans with your rice for dinner.
I've done HIIT training with sprints and I don't think an eliptical would work too well. If you want something low impact switch to biking or swimming. Go all out for 10 seconds then take it easy for 1minute. Don't forget to stretch and warm up/cool down before and after.
Also it doesn't seem like you eat alot for someone who's 250lbs. I wouldn't reduce calories if I were you just focus on getting stronger.

badvtx1
04-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Also it doesn't seem like you eat alot for someone who's 250lbs. I wouldn't reduce calories if I were you just focus on getting stronger.

Yeah, I have been trying to keep the calories low and have a pretty decent caloric deficit. I want to shed as much fat as possible since summer is coming. After I got rid of some fat, I had planned on bumping up the calories and focusing on getting bigger/stronger.