PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, is there a limited amount of sodium to take a day?

Thespiral
04-17-2007, 08:54 AM
i was just wondering whats the requiring amount of sodium to take a day. Should it be limited, or could i take as much as i want.Will it affect my cutting diet by taking too much or too little?

SkeetSkeet18
04-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Don't try and consume more than you already do.
Sodium is in almost everything you eat.

Extra sodium leads to heart conditions and watter retention issues...
Your good...Trust me

RedSpikeyThing
04-17-2007, 09:27 AM

I've always heard that sodium aggrevates existing heart problems (like hypertension), but does not actually cause them.

SkeetSkeet18
04-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Notice I said leads lol...6 out of 10 people have hypertension and sodium brings it out..
you wont know till your sitting in the hospital on an I.V ... So I advise people not to push it lol.

Unreal
04-17-2007, 09:46 AM
All my food is basically cooked and home made. I add salt to a lot of food because I don't eat a lot of processed foods. My basic diet is oats, protein powder, brocolli, spinach, and chicken breast. If I didn't add salt to these I would barely get any sodium. Plus sodium can be helpful on a cut.

SkeetSkeet18
04-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Chicken, Spinach both have sodium in them...

Unholy
04-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Not much...

SkeetSkeet18
04-17-2007, 10:34 AM
As much as you need unholy ;-)

Mr. D
04-17-2007, 10:50 AM
As much as you need unholy ;-)

and praetell how much does he need?

Unreal
04-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Unprocessed raw spinanch and boneless skinless chicken breast have enough sodium for proper body function. I very very much doubt that. I'm not talking about canned stuff, or processed frozen chicken.

RedSpikeyThing
04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Notice I said leads lol...6 out of 10 people have hypertension and sodium brings it out..
you wont know till your sitting in the hospital on an I.V ... So I advise people not to push it lol.

That's weird, a quick google search said the prevalance rate is 1 in 5 and about 1 in 18 are hypertensive and undiagnosed.

And "leads to" would imply "causes".

SkeetSkeet18
04-17-2007, 11:14 AM
f your kidneys can't eliminate enough sodium, the sodium starts to accumulate in your blood. Because sodium attracts and holds water, your blood volume increases. Increased blood volume, in turn, makes your heart work harder to move more blood through your blood vessels, increasing pressure in your arteries. Certain diseases such as congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and chronic kidney disease can lead to an inability to regulate sodium.

Becomes the cause of

Various organizations, including the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine, have published recommendations for daily sodium intake. Most recommend between 1,500 and 2,400 milligrams (mg) a day for healthy adults. A lower sodium intake has a more beneficial effect on blood pressure.

Fit day reports in ONE piece of chicken breast Sodium 720.72mg...there ya go... Plus the spinach you eat has about 100mg's...and whatever else ur not mentioning...

and an even further extensive search would have told you 90 million people in the USA have hypertension and another 20 million are just sitting ducks...

298,444,215 = USA total population.... 90 + 20 = 110 ....110 = more than 1/3 of 298

pretty high numbers here

;-)

RedSpikeyThing
04-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Fit day reports in ONE piece of chicken breast Sodium 720.72mg...there ya go... Plus the spinach you eat has about 100mg's...and whatever else ur not mentioning...

Are you seriuous? You are concerned about the sodium content of one of two of the healthiest, most nutritious foods you can eat? What would you reccomend eating instead?

and an even further extensive search would have told you 90 million people in the USA have hypertension and another 20 million are just sitting ducks...

298,444,215 = USA total population.... 90 + 20 = 110 ....110 = more than 1/3 of 298

1/3 is a half of the 6/10 you originally claimed. Maybe you should do some research before claiming "6 out of 10 people have hypertension".

SkeetSkeet18
04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I didn't say I was concerned about it..can you read?
I said what hes eating is enough already....doesn't need to focus on the intake of sodium.

I was guessing at the 6'10...but I was close...4/10, 6/10...whats the diff....like 20 million..big deal

Unreal
04-17-2007, 12:02 PM
1 chicken breast has 127mg of sodium according to fitday (your looking at salted chicken breast, look at the side where it list salt added). That is 5% of the DRV. 1 cup of raw spinach has 23.7. I would have to eat a crapload of chicken and spinach to hit 100% DRV. Plus those values are normally for average people. A athletic male that does physical activity will need more.

RedSpikeyThing
04-17-2007, 12:07 PM
I didn't say I was concerned about it..can you read?

I said what hes eating is enough already....doesn't need to focus on the intake of sodium.

The FDA RDA for sodium is 2400 mg, based on a 2000 calorie diet. Most people around here eat more than 2k, so they can have more sodium. So if he ate 2k daily and had 3 chicken breasts with a spinach salad he'd be at the RDA. I have a strange feeling he eats a scooch more than that.

I was guessing at the 6'10...but I was close...4/10, 6/10...whats the diff....like 20 million..big deal

The point was don't make up statistics. It makes you look unreliable and helps feed the abundance of misinformation in bodybuilding.

PS We're having a debate, you don't need to get sarcastic.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Don't try and consume more than you already do.
Sodium is in almost everything you eat.

Your good...Trust meNo it doesn't. If you have already existing high blood pressure, it may be an issue, but certainly not with healthy individuals. And "water retention" is not an "issue"...and you can only have so much water retention up to a certain point.

A high sodium intake does not cause hypertension (high blood pressure). The hormone aldosterone acts on the kidneys to conserve sodium for bodily functions; however, when sodium is consumed in high amounts, aldosterone release is blunted and any excess sodium will simply be excreted [9]. As a result, sodium balance remains normal. This is the case with all apparently healthy individuals who do not already have a blood pressure condition. The only circumstance in which individuals may benefit by monitoring their sodium intake is if they have already been clinically diagnosed as suffering from hypertension and are also salt sensitive [11]. I stress "and" because only 20% of the population is salt sensitive; so for 4 out of every 5 people suffering from hypertension, lowering sodium intake isn't going to do much, if anything at all. And even for those that are salt sensitive, the actual magnitude of the decrease in blood pressure as a result of the lowered intake may not even be substantial enough to warrant decreasing sodium consumption as a method to treat high blood pressure [12,13,14]. Now, I normally wouldn't kick a myth when it's down, but a high sodium intake will actually benefit athletes and bodybuilders for the following reasons:
* A higher sodium intake yields a greater overall blood volume and blood flow to the working muscles. With increased blood flow, the amount of oxygen and nutrients delivered to the working muscles is maximized. This is particularly important when an amino acid containing beverage is consumed prior to the workout, as more aminos will be delivered to the working muscles, resulting in greater rates of protein synthesis (muscle growth). Also, increased blood flow will actually increase performance in that removal of various fatigue toxins (lactic acid, CO2, etc) will occur at a faster rate.
* It is the responsibility of sodium to deliver potassium into the cell membrane of muscle tissue. If not enough sodium is present, the body is forced to deliver the potassium via "active transport" across the membrane. In this case, active transport is not the preferred method of transportation and as a result less potassium will be transported across the membrane less often.

And yet another myth about sodium is that a high intake causes tons of water retention and a bloated appearance. While, yes, increased sodium intake will cause some initial water retention, the retention is only temporary. As soon as the body becomes accustomed to the higher intake, aldosterone release will be blunted and the excess water will be excreted.

So no, consuming high amounts of sodium does not cause hypertension (and is rarely effective by itself in treating the condition) and is actually a good idea if you want to optimize growth and performance. Shoot for an intake of around 2g per liter of water consumed daily, ala the recommendations of pre-contest diet guru Scott Abel.

Having said all that, if you still are uneasy about the increase in sodium adversely affecting your blood pressure, pay attention to the BP readings you receive when you visit the doc (more than likely, the uneasiness will fade).

9. McArdle, WD et al. Sports & Exercise Nutrition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999.

11. Stamler, J. The INTERSALT study: background, methods, findings, and implications.
Am. J. Clin. Nutri., 65(Suppl):626S, 1997.

12. Ely, DL., Overview of dietary sodium effects on and interactions with cardiovascular and neuroendocrine functions. Am. J. Clin. Nutri., 65(Suppl):594S, 1997.

13. Luft, GS et al. Heterogeneous responses to changes in dietary salt intake: the salt-
sensitivity paradigm. Am. J. Clin. Nutri., 65(Suppl):626S, 1997.

14. Midgley, JP., et al. Effect of reduced dietary sodium on blood pressure: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. JAMA, 275:1590, 1996.

Unreal
04-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Actually, for 2400mg I would have to eat 101 cups of raw spinach, or 18.9 chicken breast. Now I eat more then 2k calories a day, so those numbers are going to be higher. I think I'll just keep salting my food because I can't afford to eat 10 chicken breast and 60cups of spinach in one day.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
^^

You'll be fine.