PDA

View Full Version : Getting below 10% BF

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm currently around 20% BF and am on a cut. Just begun. I am looking to get down to 10% or below within the next 3-4 months. Are there any particular diets I should be looking to follow. Currently I eat a breakfast bar and yogurt for breakfast, sandwich with no butter for lunch and then fish and salad for dinner. In between i'll eat cereal bars. Maybe 2 more a day. I'm really struggling to get my BF% much lower. Any ideas, routines or tips I need to follow?

Yeti Sandwich
04-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Sounds to me like your diet needs a complete overhaul.

Read the stickies to see what you should be eating.

04-18-2007, 09:01 AM
^^^^^ agree wheres the protein?? you need ay more!

getfit
04-18-2007, 09:03 AM
ditch the cereal bars I'm sure they're full of sugar and crap.Eat oats,boiled eggs in the morning

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Protein's in either tuna or chicken for dinner with salad or veg. I'm not sure what to really bring in throughout the day in terms of increasing protein intake. I also have problems with breakfasts. Do you guys just eat eggs on their own? I've never been a breakfast person which is why I have cereal or meal bars.

getfit
04-18-2007, 09:07 AM
make a shake and toss in some grinded oats.I eat about 8 boiled eggs and eat 2 of those with the yolks.

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't even have a blender at the moment and am a little short of cash. Only shakes I have are milk and protein power.

getfit
04-18-2007, 09:15 AM
do you like oats?

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Never really tried oats tbh. Do you mean like porridge?

getfit
04-18-2007, 09:18 AM
yeah

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 09:20 AM
I'll give it a go. Are sandwiches with wholemeal organic bread with no butter but pork and herbs ok for lunch? That's what I eat most days lunch time.

04-18-2007, 09:20 AM
protien once a day is not enough-

hard boiled egg!!!!like getfit said for breakfast!! i also make protein pancakes just mix some oats protien powder and water and throw em on the skillet if your not a morning person make them the night before and take them with you in the am

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for your time

Alex.V
04-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Honestly, that's not that terrible a diet, it's the specifics. Cereal bars.. what kind? Are these bars loaded with oats, nuts, etc... or granola bars filled with cane syrup? Is this high sugar yogurt, or plain 2% yogurt? The sandwich sounds fine, but is this actual whole grain, dark, crusty bread, or is this white bread with 10% wheat flour in it? Is the pork you put on it the honey roasted, high fat ham, or thin sliced deli pork loin?

The devil's in the details, man. Two people can be eating almost exactly the same thing on paper, but if you look at the specifics a little more, you'll start to find problems.

Rock Steady
04-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I agree with GF, and if you can't afford eggs then you have bigger things to worry about than getting ripped.

Mik
04-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Take a drive out to the country and steal a chicken.

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Honestly, that's not that terrible a diet, it's the specifics. Cereal bars.. what kind? Are these bars loaded with oats, nuts, etc... or granola bars filled with cane syrup? Is this high sugar yogurt, or plain 2% yogurt? The sandwich sounds fine, but is this actual whole grain, dark, crusty bread, or is this white bread with 10% wheat flour in it? Is the pork you put on it the honey roasted, high fat ham, or thin sliced deli pork loin?

The devil's in the details, man. Two people can be eating almost exactly the same thing on paper, but if you look at the specifics a little more, you'll start to find problems.

Cereal bars are oats and fruit. No syrup.

None of that white bread crap. It's proper organic wholemeal.

Pork is pork haslett which is sliced and a mixture of pork and herbs.

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I agree with GF - if you can't afford eggs then you have bigger things to worry about than getting ripped.

I can afford eggs. Was just saying I can't be going out buying processors or blenders.

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Take a drive out to the country and steal a chicken.

I live in the country which is what creates my time problems cos getting to work takes up too much time. No chickens here just sheep and cows. Get my eggs from farm shops fresh, also get the meat from country butchers. None of this supermarket crap.

Mik
04-18-2007, 09:56 AM
I live in the country which is what creates my time problems cos getting to work takes up too much time. No chickens here just sheep and cows. Get my eggs from farm shops fresh, also get the meat from country butchers. None of this supermarket crap.

I'm in the sticks too. The drive is worth it IMO though.

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Agree I love it for the walks in the hills. Great for taking my dog out too. I'd drive an extra hour just for the views waking up in the morning.

04-18-2007, 10:07 AM

thatd be awesome to have fresh stuff from farm shops all the time - sumermarkets do suck

Rock Steady
04-18-2007, 10:18 AM
I can afford eggs. Was just saying I can't be going out buying processors or blenders.

I figured you could! If you don't mind eggs, or even if you kind of do, eat up! Great way to help retain muscle. (Lots o' protein)

Mr. D
04-18-2007, 10:28 AM
To the OP, what are your stats? Age,height,weight?

You need to eat 1g/lbm of protein and 0.5g/lbm of fat.

LBM = bodyweight - bodyfat
bodyfat = bodyweight x BF%

All meals should be centered around protein.

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 10:33 AM
I figured you could! If you don't mind eggs, or even if you kind of do, eat up! Great way to help retain muscle. (Lots o' protein)

Yeah it's two things together really. I'm going to stay with my GF who I met when she was studying here. She's now back in Brazil in Rio where you need to look hot on the beach. So i'm saving my cash for that but at the same time not trying to ruin my diet and routine and cut.

Gibbe84
04-18-2007, 10:33 AM
To the OP, what are your stats? Age,height,weight?

You need to eat 1g/lbm of protein and 0.5g/lbm of fat.

LBM = bodyweight - bodyfat
bodyfat = bodyweight x BF%

All meals should be centered around protein.

22, 6"3 210-215

Hawk45
04-18-2007, 10:41 AM
NOTE: I am no expert.. just an average joe who tries to do his homework and figured out what works for me. Everything I use is pretty generic and should be easy to find. Make sure to season things and mix it up unless you are a machine and can eat the same thing day after day. I am b/c when I'm hungry... drywall tastes good. :D

Here is what I eat to make it easy for you.. adjust for your weight and cals that work for your matabolism. I'm 6'4" 210lbs cutting to 195lbs:

Breakfast:
Scrambled Eggs w/ salsa - 4/5 whites one whole egg
half serving of Quaker instant oates and honey

Snack:
Protein shake : 44g Protein w/ water
Peanut Butter: 2 tablespoons

Lunch:
Big chicken breast (get a big pack and grill/boil all on Sunday night for the week)
Salad w/ tablespoon of olive oil/vinagerette

Snack:
Protein shake again
serving of dried fruit or small apple or veggies of some sort
Almonds

Dinner:
More chicken or Pork tenderloin or ground turkey or steak or fish
Broccoli or mixed veggies of some sort

Desert/Snack: Protein shake (Chocolate w/ 2 tablespoons peanutbutter) or (Vanilla w/ frozen berries)

Before Bed if still hungry and have calories to fill for the day.. I go with some cottage cheese.

This keeps me pretty full but at around 2400-2600 GOOD calories for the day .. I'll supplement with tablespoons of olive oil too if need to get the fats up. You will get most of your carbs w/o trying so don't go carb crazy unless post workout.

Good luck.. it's not easy.. but not hard either if you have the right foods at hand at all times. Keep peanutbutter and protein powder at every place you spend more than 2 hours and take time to go to the store at lunch hour if you need GOOD food.. don't eat out or crappy vending machine food.

Oh yeah.. one last thing... MEASURE EVERYTHING... don't guess.. this can really screw you up. Use Fitday to track all... the golden rule.

I lied... one more thing.. if you continue to struggle to get your BF% down.. look at your workout.. your routine should not change (less) because you are cutting. Try interval training to kickstart your loss.

jamrock
04-18-2007, 12:27 PM
$250+

I buy from local butchers and pay more than supermarket prices for quality and freshness

Plus i'm pretty sure Britain's more expensive than the US for groceries

Dude buy meat at a cheaper source for a couple of weeks and get yourself a blender..

Also protein powder is great.. If you're eating 300-400g of protein a day the quality just isn't that important..

Why don't you buy yourself some live chickens and turkeys? If you live on a farm, may as well raise your own..