PDA

View Full Version : Mixing in Oly/Vertical training with PL routines

redFury
04-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm trying to get back to competing in the sport of track and field (specifically long jump) and so I would like to work some plyos/Oly lifts into my workouts. Here is my weekly schedule as of now:
Mondays Deadlift+assistance
Wednesday Bench+assistance
Friday Squats+assistance

every now and again I take a week off. My idea was to alternate weeks with ME exercises and my long jump training. Thoughts??

04-18-2007, 12:21 PM
incorperate lots of olympic lift into your training such and power/hang clean, power/hang snatch push press, clean and jerk, overhead squat

but there is no need to go every other week jump training / lifting

try lifting mon, wed, fri and do your high volume jump training tues thurs

redFury
04-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Hmm... not a bad though but I think going that hardcore 5 days a week would do a number on my cns.

BTW... do you go to KSU? I've got some friends up there.

PowerManDL
04-19-2007, 02:39 PM
You could do squatting and pressing work one day, all pulling exercises including practice with the snatch/clean the second day.

Another option would be to do three full-body sessions, something similar to the 5x5 setup with heavy/light/medium arrangement.

What do your practices consist of and when are they? The key thing here is going to be to organize things based around the most CNS-intensive training, and go from there.

redFury
04-19-2007, 09:25 PM
You could do squatting and pressing work one day, all pulling exercises including practice with the snatch/clean the second day.

What do your practices consist of and when are they? The key thing here is going to be to organize things based around the most CNS-intensive training, and go from there.

I like the thought process... so I would be practicing on my own, likely 1-3 times a week for track stuff. 1-2 heavy sprint sessions a week (multiple 50s, 100s) and lots of form work. I've been looking at a workout schedule for a triple jumper which seems pretty low volume. I'd like to start low volume sprinting/jumping and increase over time. My goal would be next winter to compete (Jan/Feb).

04-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Hmm... not a bad though but I think going that hardcore 5 days a week would do a number on my cns.

BTW... do you go to KSU? I've got some friends up there.

yes im on the track team here actully

well you dont have to make every day super intense you can work it so one of your weight lifitng days is the most intense and one jump day is more intense with the rest of the week not a hardcore

you need to put in the time to get good

redFury
04-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Makes more sense.... thanks for the advice. I've got some ok ideas to rotate in those exercises. Thats awesome that you compete for kent state... its been a dream of mine to compete with D1 athletes. I figure at my age I should take one final stab at it before I have to get a real job :P.