PDA

View Full Version : My bulking diet

frani2001
04-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi all, Hoping for your comments on my current bulking diet. Been training for a couple of years but only realy getting to grips with concentrating on my diet so hope this aint too bad:

7:00am - Big bowl of Natues Path Optimum Power - (Would have posted a link but I have not yet posted enough posts. If you have time google it, it should come straight up. - Ta)

8:00am Half portion of Reflex Instant mass (milk) (see bottom of post for values)

9:00am - Piece of fruit

10:00am - Full portion of Reflex instant mass (water)

11:00am - Piece of fruit

12:00am - Lunch - Usually tuna pasta sweetcorn or chicken with 2-3 veg (all big portions)

2:00pm - piece of fruit or two

4-5:00pm - Sandwich (usually tuna or turkey & ham salad) or cold pasta chicken or cold pasta tuna (the supermarket pre pack type) or a full Reflex instant mass (milk)

6:00pm - peice of fruit

7:00pm - Training

8:30pm - Tea time - Healthy meal but various - always high protein content and planty of veg. Although sometimes sauces can be quite fatty.
Every other day followed by a dessert.

10:00 - Some times have another half or full Reflex Instant mass drink.

11:00-12:00 - ZMA tablets and bed.

The relfex instant mass FULL portion values are here:

Nutritional Information per serving (136g):
Energy 482kcal
Protein 52g
Carbohydrate 50g
of which sugars 3g
Fat 8.2g
of which saturates 2.6g
polyunsaturated 3.6g
monounsaturated 2g
Fibre 2.2g
Zinc 15mg
Magnesium 225mg
Copper 750ug
Vitamin C 100mg
Vitamin B6 5.25mg
Chromium 200ug
Calcium 301mg
Sodium 123mg
Potassium 390mg
Digezyme 50mg
Lactospore 50 million spores

Thanks in advance for any input on this, I'm still quite new to ironing out my diet so bare with me. I realise one of the responses maybe to replace my Instant mass drinks with a meal and if I were rich and could get somone to wait on me while I worked thats what i'd do - lol. But seriously I find the diet above quite hard to keep up to so ... well anyway enough blabbering on... let us know what ya reckon.

sorry forgeot to ask - How long should I ideally bulk for? I currently weigh 12.1stone (no sarcy comments please) and am looking to get to 13 once cut within a year hopefully. Not neccasarily all in one bulk and cut of course.

Jeffreyk
04-18-2007, 04:35 PM
age, stats, total macros???

Mr. D
04-18-2007, 05:20 PM
what is the total macros of the above food. it doesnt seem as if you are getting enough veggies, enough protein, or enough fats.

frani2001
04-18-2007, 05:53 PM
23 (almost 24) yo
weighing 12.1 stone
arms about 15" round
waist 33"
neck 16"
not sure about owt else.

benching 3 reps of 90k strict at top
bicep curl 20k

what are macros?

Honestly not enough veg or protein? does fruit not count? my cereal has protein in as do all my mass drinks on top of my meals. I est my protein to be between 175 - 200g a day from above meals etc. Is that too little? What should I add to my diet then?

Mr. D
04-18-2007, 06:00 PM
well estimates can be off. I would start tracking your food intake on www.fitday.com

Fruits are good to have but you still need some veggies.

And your fat intake seems nonexistent.

What is the conversion of stone to kg or lb?

frani2001
04-18-2007, 06:26 PM
12.1 stone = 76.83k or 169.4 lb.

Thanks for the link, i'll have a look at doing that. How much fat should I be intaking approx?

I have 2-3 veg with my lunch and usually 3-4 with my tea (sorry just noticed I didn't include veg on the orig table for my tea. So that is 5 portions of veg a day atleast plus fruit. Is that enough?

frani2001
04-19-2007, 03:45 AM
What do people think to eating a full chicked for dinner? Good loading or am I overloading all in one meal? Bearing in mind as well its hard to eat any veg if your scoffing a full chicken.

mikesbytes
04-19-2007, 05:18 AM
What do people think to eating a full chicked for dinner? Good loading or am I overloading all in one meal? Bearing in mind as well its hard to eat any veg if your scoffing a full chicken.

How many grams of protein in a full chicken?

Unreal
04-19-2007, 07:46 AM
You need to be more worried about total cals, protein, fat, carbs, not what exactly your eating. Sounds like a ton of cals, with a decent ammount of protein, low fat and TONS of carbs.

frani2001
04-26-2007, 02:02 AM
You need to be more worried about total cals, protein, fat, carbs, not what exactly your eating. Sounds like a ton of cals, with a decent ammount of protein, low fat and TONS of carbs.

Cheers for your responses - so would you say that is right? That is my understanding of what a good bulking diet should contain - lots of carbs, lots of protein, plenty of cals.

By the way I started at 12 stone - after 12 weeks I have gone up to 13 stone which I think is quite a massive gain (for me), I couldn't put ***** on before! Granted a lot of it is fat but there's got to be some muscle in there right?

Also how long would you guys recomend bulking for before cutting? Not really loking forward to cutting as I have got quite used to eating all time now. lol :burger: :lurk:

Noxon
04-26-2007, 02:55 AM
You can eat all the time and still cut ^^

It's all about what you eat and the sizes of your portions. If you drink tons of water and eat smaller portions, but keep your frequency of meals high (6+ times per day) then you can cut pretty comfortably and still be munching almost constantly.

Edit:

Nevermind, I just saw that you did lay out your goals in the edit of your original post.

Google around for bulk/cut calculators. You will need to know your body fat percentage, which you can probably figure out at any gym since they should have a caliper. If you have a pretty good sense for your metabolism/body type, then there are plenty of calculators out there that will tell you how long you will need to bulk and cut for to reach your desired finished weight and body fat %.

Since you've given yourself a year to reach your goal, I would recommend a slow bulk. This will allow you to build a lot of lean muscle, but also stay close-to-cut. It'll be easier to cut whenever you decide to if you use a slow bulk.

frani2001
04-26-2007, 03:29 AM
So to cut if I were to continue as the bulking diet but reduce the size of my meals and replace all instant Mass drinks with Relfex Instant Whey protiein drinks (all mixed with water, no milk) do you think that would be along the right lines? I already drink 3 litres + of water each day so thats no problem.

As for bulking too fast I was reading something alse on this the other day and I think I may have jumped in to increasing my intake a bit too quickly but thats a lesson learned for next time I suppose. The same post said that a bulking diet should also be decreased slowly rather than just waking up one day and jumping into it so as not to "shock' your body into trying to store the carbs and fat that you do have.

As for goals I started at 12 stone cut and would idealy like to get to 13 - 13.5 stone cut. I am new to this so want to be realistic and am a bit unsure what I should be able to expect to do. I guess in an ideal world I was hoping that I would increase to 13.5 - 14 stone with this bulk and cut to anything above 12.5 stone then begin a second bluk and cut buling to 14.5 15 stone and cutting to 13.

I'm not particualrly aiming for a certain weight for a fight or tournament but most the people I train with are between 13 - 14 stone so it would be better for me to that weight for training and sparring purposes.

Weight conversions
12 stone = 168lb
12.5 stone = 175lb
13 stone = 182lb
13.5 stone = 189lb
14 stone = 196lb

Edit = I have only measured my body fat once and I was 20%. At the time I was weighing 12.5 stone - at a guess I would think that I was about 16-18% body fat at the start of this bulk when I weighed 12 stone. Ideally I would like to get to 12% or less as a vanity thing for the summer but dont mind going back up to 18%ish the rest of the time for fighting as a bit of extra weight helps with balance and absorbing the blows.