PDA

View Full Version : Pre workout snack for energy??

gumbo11103
04-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for a snack that works quick so I can have energy to lift? I have a tight schedule in that my last meal has to be 6 hours before I get out of work. From work I go stright to the gym. I work a physical job and by the time I get to the gym I'm dead tired. I have about enough time to scarf something down in the 20 min drive on my way from work to the gym. Any suggestions on something that might work fast?

Also this might sound weird but what I have been doing is downing a large coffee loaded with sugar on my drive and even while working out. I'm not so sure this is a good idea but otherwise I'm not worth s**t in the gym. Is this a bad thing?

Slim Schaedle
04-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for a snack that works quick so I can have energy to lift? I have a tight schedule in that my last meal has to be 6 hours before I get out of work. From work I go stright to the gym. I work a physical job and by the time I get to the gym I'm dead tired. I have about enough time to scarf something down in the 20 min drive on my way from work to the gym. Any suggestions on something that might work fast?

Also this might sound weird but what I have been doing is downing a large coffee loaded with sugar on my drive and even while working out. I'm not so sure this is a good idea but otherwise I'm not worth s**t in the gym. Is this a bad thing?

The energy to lift is going to come from stored ATP and glycogen.

Unless your pre snack is going to consist of a considerable amount of carbohydrate, you are simply filling your liver glycogen. (not that that's bad) But that's not what powers muscular contraction.

Stimulants such as caffeine are great. Put your pre snack about 30 minutes to an hour prior to your drive home, and sip the coffe on the way home and you will be golden.

Serach "dextrose" on here for an immense amount of infop on good pre meals.

OhioPirate
04-21-2007, 10:08 AM
I find a banana right before a workout gives me a decent energy boost usually