PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Glutamine?

Dman
04-19-2007, 08:43 PM
I am taking a pill right now where I cant have over 10g of glutamine, yet many protein shakes and bars mention that they have glutamine in them but do not say how much

So I am trying to guage how much of each I can eat without going over 10g...
How can I calculate this and what are all the forms of glutamine?

Here are a few ingredients to bars and shakes that might be a form of glutamine but i have no idea

L-Glutamine (obv glut but wats the L)
gluconate
Glycerine

Any suggestions on how to easily get 150g protein a day without going over 10g Glutamine?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Use the search function to find out about Glutamine. The general consensus (and plus...ya know...scientific studies) is that Glutamine is useless to supplement. A waste of money. It is an important amino acid, but it's not going to do much for you in those dosages. Glutamine is the MOST abundant amino acid in the body (70%) and you get plenty of it from the food you eat and what is produced in the body itself (since it is a non-essential amino acid). I don't understand this "can't go over 10 grams" thing. Ignore that and just eat your protein. You're getting a lot more than that in your daily intake of protein.

Edit: Glutamine from food is fine [obviously] (this is the same with vitamins and minerals in food, save for liver - which contains an exorbitant amount of Vitamin A, but that's another topic entirely), but supplementing Glutamine can [possibly] be harmful ~>

Toxicity Symptoms

Consumption of glutamine from food sources alone is not known to cause any harmful effects. Glutamine supplementation, even in doses exceeding 10 grams per day, is also believed to be safe. However, in a few research studies, patients given intravenous nutritional formulas (total parenteral nutrition) containing glutamine developed elevated liver enzymes, a sign of liver toxicity. When the glutamine was removed from the nutritional formulas, the liver enzymes of the patients returned to normal levels. Persons sensitive to monosodium glutamate (MSG) may also want to avoid glutamine supplements, since the body can convert glutamine into glutamate. For this same reason, people with epilepsy or bipolar disorder should use glutamine supplements with extreme caution. To date, Tolerable Upper Intake Levels have not been established for glutamine.

Don't supplement Glutamine. Get it from food. You'll be fine.

Mr. D
04-20-2007, 12:11 AM
I think the OP is not looking to supplement with glutamine. I think he is taking a medication that limits his glutamine intake to only 10g a day.

I know this much, my ON whey shakes have 4.6g of glutamine a serving. Your whey shakes are likely very similiar.

Unreal
04-20-2007, 08:09 AM
My protein powder has about 4g per serving. Chicken, beef and other proteins will probably have a large ammount also. It would be very hard to get under 10g unless your only eating 30-40g of protein per day.

malkore
04-20-2007, 11:19 AM
IIRC, cottage cheese is somewhat rich in L-glutamine too.

if the OP could post the name of the prescription drug he's taking, we might be able to do a little more investigating.

KingWilder
04-20-2007, 01:19 PM
it's already been said but I thought I'd reiterate the point

most protein powders have glutamine in them AND you get glutamine in your diet so there is really no point to supplement it

Mr. D
04-20-2007, 03:33 PM
it's already been said but I thought I'd reiterate the point

most protein powders have glutamine in them AND you get glutamine in your diet so there is really no point to supplement it

you guys are really missing the point of thread.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-20-2007, 03:52 PM
I am taking a pill right now where I cant have over 10g of glutamine, yet many protein shakes and bars mention that they have glutamine in them but do not say how muchI guess I missed this part. What pill are you taking? And if you don't mind me asking, what are you taking it for? And why does it require you to limit your intake of Glutamine?

KingWilder
04-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I need to work on my reading comprehension haha