PDA

View Full Version : Where "should" calories come from?

Decker87
04-22-2007, 02:21 AM
After spending some time on FitDay.com, I've realized my calorie intake is WAY too small. It's really helped me put things into perspective.

One thing that I am not sure, well, clueless about...is where calories should come from. I've gathered that calories from most fats and protein are good. What about calories from sugar, sodium, or other typically "unhealthy" things? Could that 20oz of mountain dew actually help me!?

Another one that really struck me as odd is how high in calories alcohol is. I could add 500 calories a day just by taking 5 shots of vodka. Win-win situation?

Where exactly should calories come from?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Nutrient dense calories are the best. Here's a list of some of the most nutrient dense foods there are ~> http://whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

And just sit and read for a while here ~> http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65848

Decker87
04-22-2007, 02:39 AM
Also, something on FitDay.com is way off. 30 Mins of "vigorous sexual activity" is supposed to burn 18 calories? The same amount as two minutes of bicycling?

How much does sex actually burn? How many calories should I consider there? Any good estimates? I'm talking vigorous, throw-her-around the room sorta stuff.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-22-2007, 02:41 AM
Don't bother with FitDay's calculators. They are not accurate. Just ignore that part of the site. And I'm sure vigorous sexual activity burns a LOT more than 18 caories, unless you have sex like a cold, dead fish. Seriously though, ignore that part of the site and just focus on your calories.

Decker87
04-22-2007, 02:47 AM
Alright, thanks for the fair warning about the calorie burning calculators. What is the problem with calories from alcohol?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-22-2007, 03:06 AM
Alcohol = 7 calories per gram. And the problem with alcohol is not so much the calories, but the effects of the alcohol on your body. Just remember the magic word: moderation.

You might want to search this site for "alcohol". It's been discussed before.