PDA

View Full Version : Want to get bigger and stronger? Practice abstinence!

gymnast
04-22-2007, 12:32 PM
2001 study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11760788&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum)

...higher testosterone concentrations were observed following the period of abstinence.

These data demonstrate that acute abstinence does not change the neuroendocrine response to orgasm but does produce elevated levels of testosterone in males.

2003 study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12659241&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum)

On the 7th day of abstinence, however, a clear peak of serum testosterone appeared, reaching 145.7% of the baseline

Possible repost, but interesting nonetheless.

BilltheButcher
04-22-2007, 12:42 PM
My testosterone levels must be at an all time high. I'm married and my wife is 9 months pregnant.

Altephor
04-22-2007, 01:01 PM
**** if that were true I'd be in the World's Strongest Man Competition... unfortunately.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-22-2007, 01:29 PM
That is stupid. Just lift. Eesh.

gymnast
04-22-2007, 01:36 PM
That is stupid. Just lift. Eesh.

the sense of humor is weak in this one.
It was just a joke :whip:

Jinkies
04-22-2007, 01:39 PM
**** if that were true I'd be in the World's Strongest Man Competition... unfortunately.

:zipit:

Damn.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-22-2007, 01:42 PM
the sense of humor is weak in this one.
It was just a joke :whip:He may have been joking, but the links he provided were to valid studies. :windup:

I wasn't referring to the OP. I was saying this study is ridiculous. Unless you're already abstinent, nobody is going to care.

:whazzup:

gymnast
04-22-2007, 01:45 PM
He may have been joking, but the links he provided were to valid studies. :windup:

I wasn't referring to the OP. I was saying this study is ridiculous. Unless you're already abstinent, nobody is going to care.

:whazzup:
ahh ok i understand what you're saying.

accuFLEX
04-22-2007, 01:58 PM
meh
sex > strength gains

d'Anconia
04-22-2007, 02:59 PM
^ Yeah no crap. The majority of us have "easier to get laid" under the reasons why we started working out.

Priorities...

rookiebldr
04-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Clearly, you could be benching, squatting and pulling a whole lot more! Silly man! ;)

Max Thunder
04-22-2007, 08:47 PM
WBBIRL is pulling the infamous statistical n=1 argument, he must be RIGHT!

I think the abstinence/sports performance thing has been well-known for very long. From an evolution point of view, if you are successfully laying your sperm everywhere, then you don't need to be fitter than you already are. Of course, evolution can't tell a facial tissue from a woman.

I suggest not having sex prior to a competition. And don't forget, women weakens legs!

Titanium_Jim
04-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Doesn't your testosterone shoot through the roof when you are anticipating sex though? I know that since I have started having sex, my test has been significantly higher. Maybe it was because I was masturbating less? Tarzan confused.

On a sidenote, I have achieved tremendous growth in the thighs and butt regions (stretch marks to prove it) from lots of :hump:

Jinkies
04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Blueballs= new pr

Rock Steady
04-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Blueballs= new pr

Muahahaha - nice.

McIrish
04-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Blueballs= new pr

The only record I can set when I have blueballs is how long I can stay stationary in bed without moving for fear of the shooting pains! :thumbup:

clipse
04-23-2007, 12:40 PM
My testosterone levels must be at an all time high. I'm married and my wife is 9 months pregnant.

HA HA. I get second place then. Married with a 7 month pregnant wife. :D

Seriously, we had a weightlifting coach in high school that believed this. In fact he told us that if you stopped half way through......uhhh.....self pleasuring, then went right to lifting, you could lift more. The kicker is, Someone actually caught him in the supply closet on a day that he was going for a new PR. Seriously.

completeNewb
04-24-2007, 10:42 AM
I dunno. Boxers are told not to release before a fight. I think it'd help.

zen
04-24-2007, 10:53 AM
dumb, and not worth it.
Basically, there is one peak aproximately the 7th day.
Also, I don't think they thouroughly established a a quality baseline under varying conditions (single orgams/day, multiple, regular orgasm intervals (can be important), etc).

The serum testosterone concentrations of 28 volunteers were investigated daily during abstinence periods after ejaculation for two phases.
Okay, I'll bet that they started the investigation beginning of abstinence and only "surveyed" the subjects about their behavior before that. Absolutely poor.