PDA

View Full Version : is anyone here doing carb refeeds?how much is too much, how does my plan sound

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-23-2002, 08:21 PM
im considering changing up my diet some. heres some background on what im doing i eat about 400-420 grams of protien a day consisting of tuna and powders. 80 grams on the carbs coming from vegetables and the protien powders. and 80-100 grams of fat coming from olive oil and flax partially from protien powders.

this diet works EXCELLENT! you drop fat fairly quick on this diet with no muscle loss(im my case no muscle loss if not gain in muscle).

the problem. this diet is BORING and i tend to want to stray after about 5 days or so of being on the diet. the first 3 to 4 days the diet is fairly EASY. but after about 3 to 4 or 5 days or WHATEVA my LEPTIN levils go nuts i feel big time cravings for carbs.

so im going to carb up on alot of hi glycimic index foods but im not really shure how much carbs i will be taking in when i do carb up. my carb ups will be a whole day. i will be experimenting with the amount of carbs ill. the first time i will carb up ill just eat until i feel pretty damn good and satisfied i will keep track of the amount. and keep yall updated.but i am cutting so i dont want to put on much fat on carb up. hopefully only a minimal amount.

my question is how much grams on carb up days do you carb up with. what works best for you. how much is too much????????????or the more the better???????????/

thanks for your help

:scratch:

TreeTrunks
02-23-2002, 09:10 PM
i hear its easy to get on dialysis(sp?) these days

MonStar1023
02-23-2002, 10:12 PM
Mr.Buttcheeks-
I carb-up twice a week with 2 meals. Refeed, carb-up, same thing in my opinion. I carb-up with pasta and gatorade and some low-fat ice-cream. Always tasty and kills my cravings pretty much the rest of the week. So its all good.

:cool::cool:

aeckhardt
02-24-2002, 09:10 AM
Considering your carb level you probably won't put on fat, plus it will come right off in the next couple days if you do.

I do full day refeeds and basically just calculate my BMR+50% or so. Then make that my BWX1 in protein and the rest very low fat carbs.

Par Deus
02-24-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Buttcheeks
im considering changing up my diet some. heres some background on what im doing i eat about 400-420 grams of protien a day consisting of tuna and powders.

Anything above about 1g/lb pound is going to be converted to glucose (meaning basically wasted, might as well eat some bread)

02-24-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Par Deus

Anything above about 1g/lb pound is going to be converted to glucose (meaning basically wasted, might as well eat some bread)

Par Deus how do you know for certain?

MonStar1023
02-24-2002, 10:27 AM
I have always thought that anything more than 1g per pound of LBM is wasted. Never really had any kind of study to prove it. But whenever I took in around 300-350g of protein I ended up pissing nonstop or sh*tting like it was my job.

:eek::eek:

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-24-2002, 10:33 AM
par deus, i would have to disagree with you on this one about my protien intake being too high.

i train about 6 days a week at 1 and a half to 2 hours a session, i also work construction, i do full body workouts, all natural, decent strenght 6feet6 240 and military 225 for 5 reps, 21 years old. so there fore i would need more protien than someone that trains less, ive seen over the web how they did studies on gymnasts and athletes and where they saw the best results when taking about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight to 2.0 grams per pound of bodyweight, and i beleive the same goes with me.

i have tried lower protien around 300 grams a day when cutting and slightly higher carbs, i tend to loose alot of muscle that way, at about 400 grams+ i dont loose ANY muscle or strenght.

ONLY on carb up days i will lower my protien intake to around 300 grams

also i am supplementing with glutamine, which i beleive is the best legal supllement around besides protien powders

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-24-2002, 10:40 AM
monstar-----are you putting on any fat? are you loosing fat or muscle each week on your plan? that would seem to be too many carb ups, but first im just gonna try carb up once a week, i may do it more often if i feel too much cravings.

aeckhardt----how much protien do you take when your dieting, and how much protien do you take on days when dieting?, and is the refeeds working for you?

MonStar1023
02-24-2002, 11:02 AM
Mr.Buttcheeks-
I take under ~30-40g of carbs everyday of the week. On Monday and Friday nights Ill eat 2 carb-up meals. The first one is around 300g carbs, and the second is around 100g carbs. Something along those lines bro.

:cool::cool:

... Good luck bro. What I just described is bascially NHE in a nutshell. (Natural Hormonal Enhancement)

aeckhardt
02-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Butt Pirate - My protein intake depends on my eating. If I'm eating isocalorically which would be best with refeeds, I eat around 1g/lbm or protein. And I feel the refeeds work for me, but I have to make sure not to space them too closely. Right now though I am switching from isocaloric to something lower carbs, higher protein fat, because I feel better running on fat and protein. So my protein is at about 2g/lbm

plornive
02-24-2002, 10:21 PM
I don't think so much protein is useful.

Dan Duchaine said that mega-high-protein diets work because some of the protein is just excreted as urea, effectively lowering your caloric intake. If you replaced some of your protein with carbs, your diet might not even make you lose weight.

Furthermore, I think any diet should have a minimum level of calories from the combination of fat and carbs. Tons of protein will not really protect your muscles enough. Your body will still cannibalize your muscles for the specific amino acids it needs at specific times --- commonly BCAAs, but really anything. You would not be able to optimize your amino-acid supplementation enough, even if you wanted to (the best attempt would be supplementing with tons of BCAAs). It is more effective to either lower your carb intake and raise your fat intake, or vise-versa, but not both.

Anyway, I am new to weekly refeeds. I have started having one refeed period every weekend after my Sunday workout. I had tons of rice, with chicken and veggies today. Then I had some oatmeal with some dextrose and cocoa, and later some microwave chocolate chip waffles. I don't like to refeed too late at night, because then I wake up sweating profusely.

irish mike
02-25-2002, 05:38 AM
your having cravings because your body is never switching into fat burning mode(ketosis)with that low of carb intake you may as well drop it done to 30gr daily and go keto.and drop the protein down to 1 gr per lb. especially since keto diets have a protein sparing effect already.you'll retain your lean mass

Par Deus
02-25-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Buttcheeks
ive seen over the web how they did studies on gymnasts and athletes and where they saw the best results when taking about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight to 2.0 grams per pound of bodyweight, and i beleive the same goes with me.

It was per kilo not per pound.

Divide by 2.2

Maki Riddington
02-25-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Par Deus

*** Do you have several studies that support this statement?