PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Fitness and Strength Training

James5
04-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Hi, I'm a soon to be 19 year old American Rugby Player that is transfering to a new university in the fall. This being the case I want to be in the best shape possible. Right now I play Lock and I stand at 6'5 and weigh 260, and I have poor speed and have very weak back and chest. My lower body is in decent shape but has a ton of room to grow. I am basically a big frame to build on from scratch. I'd like to have the perfect balance of strength and cardio-vascular conditioning. My stats are pretty weak right now, and I have not maxed on any exercise yet; this info well come later. But if anyone could offer nutrition tips for a Lock (I'm currently using the at large mass stack), as well as a solid exercise routine for me to follow. I know alot of people from the UK post on here so I'd love to hear some advice from accross the pond. Ask any questions if you have any. Thanks!

Bupp
04-24-2007, 08:18 AM
http://www.rugbycanada.ca/content_files/Manual_McMaster_Rugby.pdf

give this a whirl.

Anthony
04-24-2007, 09:14 AM
We train with a few university rugby players who have had good success with Crossfit.

James5
04-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Could you elaborate on the details of the crossfit routine and provide me with a website of information?

ericg
04-24-2007, 09:47 AM
What is CrossFit?? CLICK HERE (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html)

James5
04-24-2007, 02:35 PM
I am really interested in this crossfit plan. Seems to be a good balance for a rugby player. Anybody have good results from it?

Lones Green
04-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I am really interested in this crossfit plan. Seems to be a good balance for a rugby player. Anybody have good results from it?

take a look at anthony, he is in amazing shape...there are many MMA fighters that incorporate crossfit into their training rountine, im sure anthony could provide you with a whole lot more success stories than i can.

Anthony
04-24-2007, 06:36 PM

I use it ... can't say enough good things about it. My girlfriend uses it ... puts most guys to shame. And like I mentioned, we train with a few university rugby players who have had great success, the Crossfit forums have numerous Rugby players, Crossfit extremely popular with military (official training program of the Canadian Forces and the US Marines are pushing hard to get it implemented), police, firefighters, MMA fighters, etc. Pretty much every major pro sport has at least one person using it.

So yeah, there's plenty of people who have seen great results. Give it a shot for 3 months - even if you don't stick with it 100%, you'll learn a few tricks.

CBrons
04-24-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm considering using the program we used as high school football players. Its called BFS (Bigger, Faster, Stronger). Its right here - http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/p_home.asp

I'm also a rugby player and looking to develop a solid and comprehensive routine for this summer. Any opinions on BFS?

ericg
04-25-2007, 05:32 AM
I'm considering using the program we used as high school football players. Its called BFS (Bigger, Faster, Stronger). Its right here - http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/p_home.asp

I'm also a rugby player and looking to develop a solid and comprehensive routine for this summer. Any opinions on BFS?

Do you have to purchase the program? Screw that. With all the resources you have right in front of you I dont see the need to purchase anything.

CBrons
04-25-2007, 06:14 PM
nah.. I didnt purchase the program book. They have a log book thats four bucks with all the set/rep manipulations in them. The only lift that ive heard is pretty useless is the box squat, and im looking to replace that with something. Any suggestions???

tomv
04-29-2007, 06:18 AM
I think most people would disagree pretty heavily with the definition of box squats as "useless". I can't provide any reasons why they are good but I do know that many of the stronger members on this forum implement them in their programs.