PDA

View Full Version : Am I eating too much?

JBurnaBTNH
04-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm trying to put on some bulk big time. I'm currently 175ish (5'10ish).

I wake up early every other day and do 30 minutes on my elliptical (should I do this every day?). Every day during my lunch break I do 20-30 minutes of abs and then I do my regular workouts after work. (1.5 hours give or take)

***30 minutes Elliptical every other day***

4 egg whites/ 1 whole egg
1/2 multi grain bagel (1/2 tbsp jam)
1 banana

2 scoops protein shake (1 tbsp flak seed oil)
1 no fat yogurt

***Ab Workout***

1 chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
1 cup vegi

1 can tuna (1 tbsp light mayo) on a multi grain bagel

23 g protein bar before the gym

***Regular Workout***

2 scoops protein shake after the gym

8 oz meat
1 cup vegis
1 cup no fat cottage cheese

2 scoops protein shake
1 banana

I drink only water constantly during the day and also use water for my protein shakes.

I'd like to bulk up, but also try and trim my belly up a bit. Thank you all for your help! Its much appreciated.

Cirino83
04-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the boards. If you are trying to bulk I would say cut the cardio down or out completely...unless you can compensate for burnt calories during the elliptical. In order to bulk successfully, you must first find your maintenance calories (numbe of cals that you don't gain or lose weight with) and increase that number by 300 or 500. Then eat at that level for a while and see if you are gaining...if not...increase more. You can track your calories/fats/protein/carbs on www.fitday.com. It's free and easy. Check out the stickies under what a bodybuilder eats. You should try to drink alot of milk..it's good for bulking. Also you should make sure you have a nice routine such as BGB..Bill Star's 5x5...WBB1, 2 or 3. They are all on this site. Also you can not spot reduce fat around your belly while trying to increase overall size. Hope this helps.

Unreal
04-24-2007, 12:25 PM
You told us what you eat, but how much you eat matters just as much. Post your macro breakdown. If it isn't enough to gain add more calories. As for gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, that is extremely hard to do. I would concentrate on one then the other. Get to where you want in size/strength then cut down on the body fat. Repeat if needed.

JBurnaBTNH
04-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks for your replies!

I calculated that I need to have around 2500 calories to maintain my current weight - and a rough calculation of my current diet comes out to around 3000 calories. So, I'll stick with this for a while and see if I put on some muscle.

Thanks for your help again!

Cirino83
04-25-2007, 08:32 AM
np....good luck.

Vapour Trails
04-25-2007, 11:51 AM
You think 6 scoops of protein a day is enough?

Your diet is almost totally protein. Where's the fat and carbs? Following your workout you eat almost nothing for carbohydrates, save for a banana and the small amounts in cottage cheese.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-25-2007, 12:53 PM
I think magazines and the supp industry overemphasize the importance of protein, and people adjust their diets accordingly.

IZWAR
04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
yea for bulking you def need to hit the carbs hard.

Cirino83
04-25-2007, 01:11 PM
yea for bulking you def need to hit the carbs hard.

:scratch:

IZWAR
04-25-2007, 01:13 PM
:scratch:

are you saying you dont need a lot of carbs while on a bulk? everything i have ever read states the other and from personal experience i have gotten my biggest while eating large amounts of carbs with good protein intake.

Nosaj
04-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Carbs rule for bulking. Rolled oats, get in mah belly!

JBurnaBTNH
04-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I was always under the knowledge that you dont want to eat carbs at night time, but after reading this I may have to add some. Will a cup of brown rice with my dinner be sufficient?

I find myself struggling trying to eat all this food, especially in the morning.

McIrish
04-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I find myself struggling trying to eat all this food, especially in the morning.

Get some calorically dense foods - olive oil/peanut butter work GREAT for adding extra calories into an otherwise solid diet. Just double up on those.