PDA

View Full Version : Making the transition - High bar to low bar squats

Hazerboy
04-25-2007, 03:30 PM
I've seen a lot of threads on sumo vs. conventional deads but not many on high bar vs. low bar squats. How long does the transition take and what can you expect in terms of gains once you've gotten used to the form?

I have a real hard time making a steady shelf for low bar squats, any more then 225 lbs and it feels unsteady. Any tips on this or do I just have to work at it?

JustinASU
04-25-2007, 04:12 PM
I've seen a lot of threads on sumo vs. conventional deads but not many on high bar vs. low bar squats. How long does the transition take and what can you expect in terms of gains once you've gotten used to the form?

I have a real hard time making a steady shelf for low bar squats, any more then 225 lbs and it feels unsteady. Any tips on this or do I just have to work at it?

You really have to focus on pulling your shoulder blades together and flexing your traps and posterior delts. This will create a cradle that you can rest the bar in. Also focus on trying to 'wrap' the bar around your upper back my putting forward pressure on it with your grip. Seems to work well.

RhodeHouse
04-25-2007, 05:38 PM
You need to hammer you upper back and traps. If you feel unstable, you're weak in the upper back.