PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new types of healthy foods!

johny12345
04-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey,

I did a search and couldn't find answers to my question.

I am looking for examples of things I can add to my bulk (that are easy to make)to make it a little more clean.

I already know of things like:

baked potatoes
beans
brown rice
cottage cheese
crackers
nuts
vegies
lean meat
fruit

What other things am I missing out on? Any other advice on how to eat clean easily without cooking a lot?

Also, I typically eat for breakfast:
6 egg whites
bowl of oatmeal
bagel
banna

Is this okay to do EVERY day? or should I switch it up? If I should switch, what else is good for breakfast?

Thanks a lot.

04-25-2007, 09:26 PM
peanut butter, beef jerkey, hard boiled eggs, sweet potatoes, tuna, milk (if you must), cream of wheat, rice cakes, meat loaf (made w/ oats)

Kyolked
04-25-2007, 09:30 PM
avacado is realy good to put on everything. I think ate 4 avacado and turkey sandwhiches today. :shoot:

Mr. D
04-25-2007, 10:20 PM
i pretty much eat the same thing day in and day out. At the same time each day. I am a creature of habit.

johny12345
04-25-2007, 10:41 PM
okay, thanks....

Is my post w/o okay?

I eat 2 scoops of nitrean and 5g. of creatine from ALN.

Nosaj
04-25-2007, 11:10 PM
okay, thanks....

Is my post w/o okay?

I eat 2 scoops of nitrean and 5g. of creatine from ALN.

You need more carbs my friend. Simple carbs help your body absorb the protein faster. Dextrose is a good solution, or search around for alternatives.

philou123
04-26-2007, 02:50 AM
peanut butter, beef jerkey, hard boiled eggs, sweet potatoes, tuna, milk (if you must), cream of wheat, rice cakes, meat loaf (made w/ oats)

Why do you say "if you must" for milk?

As for your question about health foods, my 2 favorites are:

-Ground Flax Seeds: Easy to add in shake, and they provide you with omega-3's, and fiber.

-Green Tea: Food with the most potent antioxidants on earth.

Also, you can look up this website, it's 35 "power foods", you can add them to grocery list.
http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/prevention/nutrition/35powerfoods.htm

And remember, variety is important in nutrition, and you should try to mix it up (especially with veggies and fruits) to make sure you get a wide array of vitamins and nutrients).

JIG
04-26-2007, 08:41 AM
I like this site http://www.whfoods.com

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-26-2007, 02:50 PM
:withstupi

To the OP, check out these two links ~>
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565
http://whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

johny12345
04-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I've been reading a lot about pre and post and this is the idea that I get....

Pre: small meal about 1 hr ahead of time. evenly distribute macros

Does this seem right?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-26-2007, 09:09 PM
I've been reading a lot about pre and post and this is the idea that I get....

Pre: small meal about 1 hr ahead of time. evenly distribute macros

Does this seem right?As long as you've been eating sufficiently prior to working out, you'll have adequate glycogen stores to fuel your workout and the timing of your pre-workout meal really isn't that vital. The time you take creatine isn't all that important, but the consistency of taking it is. Take 5 grams a day, every day. The saturation of creatine is what you're trying to aim for. You can take it after if it keeps you on schedule with taking it. The reason "an hour before" is kind of blah is because you're digesting food ALL DAY long. Some meals take 10 hours or so to digest, depending on what the food is. Just don't eat crap all day long and you're good to go. :thumbup:

You can get into the nitty gritty of things, but if you're just trying to get bigger, don't get a headache over the small things. If you're going to get into a hardcore strict diet like UD2 (the Ultimate Diet 2.0), then the small details become crucial.

04-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Why do you say "if you must" for milk?

whole foods are better

Mr. D
04-26-2007, 09:44 PM
i love milk. its easy way to get protein and carbs in.

philou123
04-27-2007, 12:35 AM
whole foods are better

Why is that?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-27-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't see anything wrong with milk, as long as it doesn't take up 90% of your calories for the day. Your diet needs variety.

04-27-2007, 11:20 AM
well thats why i put it in there - i know everyone in here loves it- but if you read any of john berardi's stuff he discurages drinking anything with calories (aside from supplements) including milk

but i love milk and i do drink it but only when im not cutting

Slim Schaedle
04-27-2007, 11:26 AM
if you read any of john berardi's stuff he discurages drinking anything with calories (aside from supplements) including milk

I'm too lazy to look this up (his material) but do you know off hand why he says this?

04-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Raw Milk vs. Regular Milk

What about milk? Most T-Nation readers know my stance on moo juice. In my opinion, it’s not necessary, doesn’t always "do the body good," and should be minimized in the diet (although I see no need for total elimination unless you’re lactose intolerant).

However, if we could simply get more people to drink milk instead of sugary soda, we’d have less obesity and disease. But instead of focusing on healthy behaviors, experts will bicker on and on about regular milk vs. raw milk. Of course, all this does is serve to draw negative attention to milk and away from the other healthy decisions people could be making.

Sure, if it were possible to get raw milk that was guaranteed aseptic, it would be better than processed, pasteurized milk. But faced with the confusion, what do you, the hypothetical sub-optimal eater, do? Well, nine times out of ten, you avoid both kinds of milk and drink another Coca-Cola instead.

Verdict: Limit milk, and drink calorie-free beverages like water and green tea instead.

that was from one of his articles - he says it in a lot of his nutrition articles

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm

Slim Schaedle
04-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Raw Milk vs. Regular Milk

What about milk? Most T-Nation readers know my stance on moo juice. In my opinion, it’s not necessary, doesn’t always "do the body good," and should be minimized in the diet (although I see no need for total elimination unless you’re lactose intolerant).

However, if we could simply get more people to drink milk instead of sugary soda, we’d have less obesity and disease. But instead of focusing on healthy behaviors, experts will bicker on and on about regular milk vs. raw milk. Of course, all this does is serve to draw negative attention to milk and away from the other healthy decisions people could be making.

Sure, if it were possible to get raw milk that was guaranteed aseptic, it would be better than processed, pasteurized milk. But faced with the confusion, what do you, the hypothetical sub-optimal eater, do? Well, nine times out of ten, you avoid both kinds of milk and drink another Coca-Cola instead.

Verdict: Limit milk, and drink calorie-free beverages like water and green tea instead.

that was from one of his articles - he says it in a lot of his nutrition articles

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm

Does he make a good point on why whole foods are better and milk is not in his other material?

I did not see a good answer in there.

04-27-2007, 04:46 PM
i guess the "whole food are better" part is just my interpretaion on him constantly reiderating that you should only drink non-calorie drinks- and that milk is somthing that you shouldnt have in your kitchen

i found in his more recent articles he just says you know my opnion on milk and he dosent really go in depth about why

EWI
04-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I love spagetti only I don't ever use starchy white pasta but instead use a multi-whole grain noodle instead. You should pretty much try that with everything... eliminate as much processed, white, starch and use multi-whole grains, veggies, and fruits for the majority of your carb sources... What you mentioned for breakfast is an amount fit for a fea... double everything and throw in a whole egg or two. Make sure there is some orange juice too and a good multi-vitamin. If you want to grow you have got to eat more just keep it clean... also train as heavy as possible maybe in the 5 - 6 rep range and with lots of intensity... Also, go to the gym less frequently and get plenty of sleep each night and plenty of rest before sessions. Finally, make sure you get a good low fat, low carb, high slow acting protein into you every night before going to bed so that you stay anabolic thru most of the night.

As far as milk goes there is a huge segment of people into natural diets and they swear milk is like evil or something... humans are the only animal that continues to consume milk after weaning... we just don't need it but personally I love the stuff...