PDA

View Full Version : USMC PT test

phatmonky
04-25-2007, 09:58 PM
When I joined this site, I weighed 155lbs at 6'3". I'm now 195+lbs. Small by the standards of this board, but I don't find myself being the 'skinny guy' anymore.

Thing is, I'm to the point that I want to start challenging myself to something besides getting bigger (I know, blasphemy!). I feel as though, despite my larger size, my athleticism has dropped.

I've done crossfit in the past, and am currently doing a day of sandbag training that is kicking my ass each week. I love it all, but I need a more defined goal.

Somewhere, my crazy ass decided to make maxing out the marine PT test the current goal. After a little **** talking, my friend is now challenging me to this. I want to beat him.

This is where YOU come in.

1>How do I keep size on while attaining following goals:

-3 miles in 18:00 or less
-100 crunches in 2 minutes
-20 pullups

Just be sure to eat eat eat?? Is the running so much that it's simply much against normal lifting?

2>I'm used to training for strength and hypertrophy reasons. How do I train for this??

I've had advice from "if you want to do more pullups, just do them all the time" to "oh no, you've got to rest every other day!!"

So give me an example of what you would do.

ArchAngel777
04-26-2007, 07:04 AM
When I joined this site, I weighed 155lbs at 6'3". I'm now 195+lbs. Small by the standards of this board, but I don't find myself being the 'skinny guy' anymore.

Thing is, I'm to the point that I want to start challenging myself to something besides getting bigger (I know, blasphemy!). I feel as though, despite my larger size, my athleticism has dropped.

I've done crossfit in the past, and am currently doing a day of sandbag training that is kicking my ass each week. I love it all, but I need a more defined goal.

Somewhere, my crazy ass decided to make maxing out the marine PT test the current goal. After a little **** talking, my friend is now challenging me to this. I want to beat him.

This is where YOU come in.

1>How do I keep size on while attaining following goals:

-20 pullups

Just be sure to eat eat eat?? Is the running so much that it's simply much against normal lifting?

2>I'm used to training for strength and hypertrophy reasons. How do I train for this??

I've had advice from "if you want to do more pullups, just do them all the time" to "oh no, you've got to rest every other day!!"

So give me an example of what you would do.

Basically the solution to your problem is to maintain low bodyfat (8-12%). Running, Pull-ups and even situps are body weight exercises. Meaning, the less dead weight you have, the faster you will be, the more reps you can do and the faster you will be able to do them. This will affect your strength gains for sure. Size? Well that is more a matter of eating...

zen
04-26-2007, 07:29 AM
-20 pullups

I weight 215, and I can do 3 miles in 18 minutes now, and I can get 12 pullups and I'm not sure where I am with the crunches, but you got me curious, is there any more to this PT test? It seems rather limited.
[edit] I just found the link below. Apparently, the test is scored, and the stats you gave above are for a perfect score in each category.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm
I estimate that right now, I would score about a 225 / 300 on the test.

Progress
04-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Follow this while including a 3-4 day workout regimen. Eat.

http://oneweb.utc.edu/~semperfi/physical.htm

Anthony
04-26-2007, 12:08 PM
In relation to those tests, where do you rank?

phatmonky
04-26-2007, 12:51 PM
In relation to those tests, where do you rank?

16 pullups
85 crunches
24:12 for the run

That was the base line I took last week to see how far I am from it.

So, I have a feeling the running is what is really going to hamper me (that time was REALLY pushing myself. I don't know that with my current conditioning I can pull much more than that). I just don't run that much anymore and have never trained for this type of distance. I don't even know where to begin besides "If you want to run better, run more!"

Basically the solution to your problem is to maintain low bodyfat (8-12%). Running, Pull-ups and even situps are body weight exercises. Meaning, the less dead weight you have, the faster you will be, the more reps you can do and the faster you will be able to do them. This will affect your strength gains for sure. Size? Well that is more a matter of eating...

Body fat is already low. Dunno exactly, but 'easily see abs' low.

ArchAngel777
04-26-2007, 01:35 PM
16 pullups
85 crunches
24:12 for the run

Body fat is already low. Dunno exactly, but 'easily see abs' low.

Then, no offense, but you are quite out of shape for the most part (not regarding the general public, but regarding the 300 point test as the baseline). If you are as lean as you say (I beleive you are) then your conditioning is probably needs work. I should probably rephrase that, lest someone come in here and rip me to shreds for that comment. Your "AEROBIC" conditioning is lacking. Much better? :D

That is all there is the marine corp basic training test. Most of the marines do not score a 300 on it, only a few percentage can. Most of them average around 21-22 minutes for the 3 mile run, 15 or so pullups and not sure on the situps. Been a while since my brother told me about his unit, etc... This was back when I was interested in the marines.

Anyway, no matter how you look at it, the guy who weighs 215 and said he can run 3 miles in 18 minutes is in superb shape, I find it quite impressive.

phatmonky
04-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Then, no offense, but you are quite out of shape for the most part (not regarding the general public, but regarding the 300 point test as the baseline). If you are as lean as you say (I beleive you are) then your conditioning is probably needs work. I should probably rephrase that, lest someone come in here and rip me to shreds for that comment. Your "AEROBIC" conditioning is lacking. Much better? :D

That is all there is the marine corp basic training test. Most of the marines do not score a 300 on it, only a few percentage can. Most of them average around 21-22 minutes for the 3 mile run, 15 or so pullups and not sure on the situps. Been a while since my brother told me about his unit, etc... This was back when I was interested in the marines.

Anyway, no matter how you look at it, the guy who weighs 215 and said he can run 3 miles in 18 minutes is in superb shape, I find it quite impressive.

Believe me, I know, and no offense taken. I'm the definition of the guy who looks athletic and wants to die when doing hill runs.
I have bigger lifts than some of my friends, and they don't get winded near as fast as I do. I don't think this will come over night. Hell, I used to have a goal of just gaining 20 lbs. 40 seemed impossible! Interestingly enough, it was the advice to "stop the cardio!" that got me to this point, since I was so damn small.

I'm sure I can get my pullups and crunches there, but I would still like advice on the running side. What do I do?
Most people can't bench their body weight or deadlift twice it. If a new guy came to this site and set that as a goal, we wouldn't tell him that "you're out of shape, tough". We'd help them start the path.

That's where I'm at now :)

Anthony
04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm not a runner, so take this with a grain of salt.

I would hammer intervals at the track. Vary the distance/time each session, but work between 40-800m. Keep sessions short, but really intense. The good news is that intervals will give you all the cardio, stamina, and lactate threshold benefits of long distance running without the drawbacks (muscle loss, strength loss, etc). But you'll need to keep a close eye on your recovery because intervals will be rough on your system.

Maybe every 1-2 weeks, test your 1 mile or your 3 mile.

Again, I am not a runner, so I'm just throwing this out there as an option.

ArchAngel777
04-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Believe me, I know, and no offense taken. I'm the definition of the guy who looks athletic and wants to die when doing hill runs.
I have bigger lifts than some of my friends, and they don't get winded near as fast as I do. I don't think this will come over night. Hell, I used to have a goal of just gaining 20 lbs. 40 seemed impossible! Interestingly enough, it was the advice to "stop the cardio!" that got me to this point, since I was so damn small.

I'm sure I can get my pullups and crunches there, but I would still like advice on the running side. What do I do?
Most people can't bench their body weight or deadlift twice it. If a new guy came to this site and set that as a goal, we wouldn't tell him that "you're out of shape, tough". We'd help them start the path.

That's where I'm at now :)

Well, the best way to get better at running is to simply run. There are many, many workout programs to help you get faster and increase endurance. How does the Marine Corp do it? They have you running three miles every morning, save for Sunday, IIRC.

What would I do? What do I do? I simply run. That is the best way to get better. Focus on short intervals at first for speed, then focus on longer, slower paced intervals, etc...

I was NEVER a runner and now I am starting to become one myself. It is important to know that getting better at running does not require gut wrenching pain. You don't have to run until exhaustion and in fact, you should not. Anywany, sorry about my last post, sometimes I am oblivious because in my head I think someone already knows something, when they might not. Anyway... Good luck with increasing those times, I don't think it will take you much longer than 6 weeks to get that number in the 21.-- range should you focus on running, rather than lifting.

Kyolked
04-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I did AFROTC at ASU, def not the corps, but we did have the reputation of being the most in shape unit rivaling the AF Acadamey. You need to focus your work out around cardio first strenghth second. Sorry, but thats the truth. The only way to survive at the MCRD is to have enough stamina (and will power). So your new best friend is going to be your running shoes. You can counter-act the size loss with a savage food intake.