PDA

View Full Version : question for crossfit folks

BCorn
04-26-2007, 07:54 AM
for those of you doing the crossfit WOD's.....is that your entire workout? in other words, are you on a typical weight lifting routine and use the WOD's along with it, or do you do only the WOD's?

also, when is the earliest you can get the next days WOD? i tried to get todays workout last night and it was not available yet. thanks.

muscleup
04-26-2007, 10:00 AM
for those of you doing the crossfit WOD's.....is that your entire workout? in other words, are you on a typical weight lifting routine and use the WOD's along with it, or do you do only the WOD's?
This will depend on your level of fitness. When I first started the WOD's, I was told to just do the WOD and go home and evaluate my strengths and weaknesses and go from there. That way you will know where you may be lacking in a skill, and then you can do additional practice on certian movements to improve.

also, when is the earliest you can get the next days WOD? i tried to get todays workout last night and it was not available yet. thanks. I can usually get tomorrows WOD at around 10pm CST.

manowar669
04-26-2007, 10:11 AM
I usually just do the WODs. The official crossfit warmup is pretty much a workout itself, and then the WOD. Sometimes I'll 5x5 squat/mil press/DL or row if I can't do the WOD (equipment or weather problems).

BCorn
04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
what is "The Officail Crossfit Warmup"????

BCorn
04-26-2007, 10:21 AM
do ya'll feel that the crossfit WOD's are sufficiant for trying to build mass, or is it more for maintaining size and staying conditioned? thanks

muscleup
04-26-2007, 10:33 AM
what is "The Officail Crossfit Warmup"????

"3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip
Note that for a workout that's dip or pullup-centric, you might want to do something else in the warmup. "

I would recommend reading the entire crossfit site "FAQ" & "START HERE!" sections. It should answer the majority of your questions if you just read it all.

KingJustin
04-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Just out of curiosity, but do you guys think that is an ideal warm-up on the max effort days? I know you follow up by warming up with the actual movement and getting progressively heavier, but is the high amount of reps for the general warm-up ideal?

http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/oct252002/na_warmup.htm

muscleup
04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
An ideal warmup will probably vary depending on the individual. That warmup is not set in stone, and can be altered to fit your needs. Your warmup should prepare you for the work you are about to do. If three rounds of the above devistates you, then scaling it back might be a good idea.

manowar669
04-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Yep, it should be inferred from the last line of the warmup that if your workout is gonna be a certain exercise, don't blast it in the warmup. If you're gonna squat, maybe cut back on the 45 overhead squats in the warmup. I do the warmup on "rest days" also, since it seems to keep me mobile, reduces some soreness (if any), etc. The warmup is a good workout for my girlfriend, who does the WOD with me sometimes, but she has a busier schedule than I, so she doesn't do it all the time.

BCorn,
You can get pretty big doing crossfit, size is pretty much a function of diet. More importantly, though, is you will be in really good condition, strong, and you will be "carved out of wood" tough. An example I use is a time recently, where my girlfriend (crossfitter), me (crossfitter), and two friends (bodybuilders) hand-dug a basement entrance for bilko doors. My friends outweigh me by a good 50 lbs (I'm 5'6" 180lbs lean). They had to take more frequent breaks, and couldn't lift a 200lb+ rock, which I proceeded to lift, carry 30 yards, and toss it over a 5' fence. They can lift barbells really well, but in a practical situation..... Oh, and my girlfriend can Deadlift 2XBw, and clean 155lbs.

Anthony
04-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Read the Crossfit FAQ - all of the questions you asked are answered there.

BCorn
04-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Anthony (and all others that replied),

thanks so much. i will check out FAQ on the crossfit thread.

KingJustin
04-26-2007, 01:47 PM
An ideal warmup will probably vary depending on the individual. That warmup is not set in stone, and can be altered to fit your needs. Your warmup should prepare you for the work you are about to do. If three rounds of the above devistates you, then scaling it back might be a good idea.

Err...

I think my question was kind of misunderstood.

Say, hypothetically, that I can do 100 pull-ups/dips/push-ups/everything else in the warm-up. The 3 rounds of 15 doesn't tax me at all.

When I'm warming up for a max effort day, according to Berardi's article, high reps (even if they don't tax you) = bad. I think it's also pretty well accepted that static stretches are even worse. I'm just wondering what the CrossFit explanation is.

I've been just doing the same 5-7 minute dynamic warm-up (leg-swings/arm circles and stuff like that) before doing my warm-ups with the bar. Is this not preferable?

muscleup
04-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I've been just doing the same 5-7 minute dynamic warm-up (leg-swings/arm circles and stuff like that) before doing my warm-ups with the bar. Is this not preferable?
Sorry I misunderstood your question :D
I warmup similar to you on ME days, but after the leg swings/arm circles, I try to at least do 1 round of 10 reps for the majority of the warmup exercises listed, then start with the bar.

Anthony
04-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Warming up for metcon is different than warming up for lifting.

But I think you misunderstood what he's saying ... keep your warmup reps low when building up to your work sets. For example, if you were warming up for squats, don't do 45x10, 135x10, 225x10, 275x10 and then your 5x5 at 315. But in regards to calisthenics, the same rules don't apply because the resistance is low. And if it's not low for you (chinups) then scale it so it is. Compare 10 leg swings to 10 body weight squats. Both "high reps" ... what's the difference?