PDA

View Full Version : Instant Potatoes

clash
04-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Does anybody just make instant potatoes rather then actual...or is this a bad idea

Kyolked
04-27-2007, 02:15 PM
They arn't healthy due to the sodium content.

theJamAbides
04-27-2007, 02:32 PM
They arn't healthy due to the sodium content.

I know you mean well, and possibly believe that too much sodium is bad, but this is wrong.

It may depend on the brand of instant potatoes, I'm trying to find ingredients and nutritional information on instant potatoes to give you an accurate synopsis.

theJamAbides
04-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Does anybody just make instant potatoes rather then actual...or is this a bad idea

From Wikipedia:

Instant mashed potatoes are substantially similar to mashed fresh potatoes in their nutritional qualities, about two-thirds starch by dry weight, with smaller amounts of protein, dietary fiber, and vitamins. The largest difference is the loss of vitamin C, although some products may be enriched to compensate. One hundred grams of unenriched instant mashed potatoes provides 11% [1] of the Dietary Reference Intake of vitamin C, compared to 18% [2] provided by the fresh potato version.

Now the salt issue is another thing. Drink a liter of water if you are worried about the salt intake. I wouldn't be though, if you are drinking 1 to 1.5 gallons a day you are fine, and you should be doing that anyway.

The nutrition information I saw said that there was 125mg of sodium per 1/3 cup dry instant potatoes. That's roughly the same as my morning nitrean shake (2 scoops nitrean) which is 120mg sodium.

Stray
04-27-2007, 07:38 PM
I would think the lack of fiber and that it's highly processed would be the first concern risen.

Red potatoes mashed with skin on rock!

clash
04-27-2007, 08:44 PM
So would you guys so this would be ok to eat occasionaly when i cant get a hold of real potatoes?

Scooter
04-28-2007, 11:15 AM
So would you guys so this would be ok to eat occasionaly when i cant get a hold of real potatoes?

Look at the nutrition content. Does it fit in with your macros?

theJamAbides
04-29-2007, 11:48 AM

Did you not even read my post? They are "substantially similar...in their nutritional qualities".

Eat em' all you want. Someone mentioned no skin in instant, but personally I don't mash the skins in with my fresh mashed potatoes. Who cares. It will be fine everyday if you want.

smitch250
04-29-2007, 12:17 PM
i eat instant mashed potatos atleast once a week. rock on!