PDA

View Full Version : too much protien debate

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-24-2002, 02:53 PM
ok lets say im taking like 500 grams of protien i doubt my body would use all 500 grams for protien purposes right. Okay so lets say 200 grams of it gets wasted or not used the way protien is supposed to be used. lets say the subject only works out a couple days a week hes really not needing all this protien. Okay so the 200 grams turns in to glucose right or muscle glycogen or whatever. and sinse protien BARELY any affect on insulin levels, it really WONT make you fat. its kinda like a complex carb right, it wont give you any insulin spike, it just converts to glucose at a slow rate because it barely has an effect on insulin, so therfore it wont make you fat. it would be like the affect of eating vegetables sinse they barley raise insulin levels, and we all know veggies wont make you fat. id like to hear peoples opinons

thanks

reso
02-24-2002, 03:24 PM
thats good to know cause yesterday i ate about 100-200gram protein or someshit at 1sitting,chinese food (TERIYAKI CHICKEN on a STICK) had like 4plates stacked :/

syntekz
02-24-2002, 03:29 PM
I think you are correct, but what's the point of eating 500 grams of protein per day?

(That extra protein could turn into fat though depending on your total calorie intake..)

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-24-2002, 03:45 PM
im not saying i would take in 500. i beleive i can utilize about 400 because i train so often so i need alot more protien. im saying the excess protien will turn into muscle glycogen. BUT if your muscle glycogen stores are FULL then it will go to fat, along with everything else you take to much of. i believe its hard to always have full glycogen stores if you train everyday, so it would be hard to put on fat with too much protien

reso
02-24-2002, 03:47 PM
werd,thank goodness for digestive enzymes:)

Podium Kreatin
02-24-2002, 06:04 PM
well, no matter how much protein ur muscles need, a percentage of protein u eat will always turn into glycogen; protein has more than one use than just muscle building

plornive
02-24-2002, 06:49 PM
I also think that some protein is not digested and secreted as urea. This is one reason the popular "protein power" diet works. The higher the protein intake, the higher the % of it is not even digested completely and simply excreted.

02-24-2002, 07:27 PM
what happens with protein thats not digested and simply exreted? does it contain no caloric value?

TreeTrunks
02-24-2002, 07:57 PM
Thats the thing you need a lot of protein but there is such a thing as too much. 500 grams is too much. 400 grams is too much, it doesn't matter if your a pro BBer 400 is too much. Your kidenys can only handle so much at one time. Ever heard of urea? If not read about it. Its an extremly toxic chemical produced by your kidenys. Taking 400-500grams of protein will compound this chemical even more. Its not healthy bro. Even with the most intense workouts you'll only need a 1:1 ratio.

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-24-2002, 08:44 PM
why dont you back up this 1 to 1 ratio with references that its unhealthy to take any more than a 1 to 1. i wish i had references handy but i have seen some respectable studies on high protien intake for athletes in the 1.5+to1 ratio and how they gained the most muscle mass compared to the 1to1. i havent heard any body put references that over a 1 to 1 is unhealthy.

like i said before manytimes ive experimented with different protien intakes sinse i was 15 im 21 now around 400 for my weight at 240 is optimal.

i also drink tons of water up to 2 gallons a day so my kindneys should be fine

references please on how its unhealthy

TreeTrunks
02-24-2002, 08:49 PM
My references? Biology classes in college. Dr. Fed Hatfield (im assuming you kow who he is) recommends BBer's to consume 0.8-1.0 grams per pound. Also use logic bro. More protein=more work for the kidney, which causes more urea.

Of course you won't see any illeffects right now, long term use of 400+grams of protein will degrade your kidneys.

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-24-2002, 08:56 PM
if it was truly bad then why do so many people take this high amount of protien and if it was truly bad theyre wouldnt be any controversy over it, it would just be simple science, and people would know for shure not to take over a 1 to 1 ratio

TreeTrunks
02-24-2002, 09:26 PM
Uh not that many people do take in that much protein pro BBer's don't even take in that much protein. What makes you think you can handle that much? because you have done it a couple times? There is tons of controversey over how much protein your body needs. In an intense workout your body does not breakdown that much muscle to were you would need 400-500 grams a day. You need more carbs than protein anyway to build muscle.

syntekz
02-24-2002, 09:54 PM
When people say high protein diets; I really don't think they mean that they are consuming 400-500 grams of protein per day.

I consider myself to be on a high protein diet and I get about 250 grams of protein a day tops. Anymore would be a waste in my opinion; and expensive.

AllNatural
02-24-2002, 11:15 PM
I once asked my nutrition teacher if you take too much protein what happens. He says the only bad thing he could think of is that you could get Gout. This has something to do with joints freezing up or something

syntekz
02-25-2002, 06:51 AM
Gout? What's that exactly?

Tryska
02-25-2002, 06:57 AM
dunno, but i believe yates had it once.

hemants
02-25-2002, 07:32 AM
I'm sure we all like to think we work out harder than the average athelete but I have never seen any study to suggest that we need more than 2.2g per kg of bodyweight (ie. 1 g per pound of bodyweight) 500g a day won't necessarily be harmful but it is an expensive way to feed yourself.

What you may think is a low carb diet is actually 200g of protein and 300g of carbs in a manner of speaking.

And by the way, protein ingestion causes an insulin response as well.

D&G
02-25-2002, 08:44 AM
Some buy ended up in hospital because he was taking 900g of protein a day - the amount of ammonia produced was too high.

TreeTrunks
02-25-2002, 09:09 AM
All I can say is do what you feel is best for you. Jsut from what I know about nutrition a 1:1 ratio is the best and taking 400-500g a day is asking for suicide later in life. That is all.

Tiare
07-13-2002, 02:36 PM
Gout is extremely painful and is a result of certain foods (things like liver, wild game, duck and spinach; also known as the rich mans disease) and lack of enough water.

I've had it before and learned to start drinking tons of water instead of soda and juice and what not whenever I had any pang of it in my foot.

Trust me you don't want gout. Man I thought I broke my foot and then dropped a dumbell on it, it was so fricking painful. I was crawling around my apartment crying like a baby my foot hurt so bad. When I called my doctor, she knew what was going on (she knew my diet) and told me to quit crying and start drinking water and come in so she could give me a prescription (which I refused). Oh God, I'm about to cry right now just thinking about the pain.

By the way, it's crystals forming in the joints.

And just so everyone is aware, the Krebs or citric acid cycle can take a molecule of fat or glucose or protein (amino acids) and convert it to ATP. That's why too much protein will make you fat. Your body stops using the limited supplies of fat and glucose in the krebs cycle and starts using those excess amino acids to make energy. Doesn't matter if protein goes to fat (which it can) because you can't eat JUST protein and your body will adapt and start using the protein as your fuel source and the rest as storage materials.

Juan
07-13-2002, 03:06 PM
There is such thing as too much protein.

http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/articles/nutrition/protein_2/
http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/foods/nf74.htm