PDA

View Full Version : Jambalaya anyone?

biguns86
04-29-2007, 09:51 PM
jambalaya seems like it can be made fairly healthy and I love it, especially spicy. I pulled up a couple of recipes off food.com but does anyone have suggestions on making it extra lean and healthy?

04-29-2007, 10:34 PM
well whats in some of the other recepies? then maybe we can offter some substitutions

biguns86
04-29-2007, 10:41 PM
smoked sausage
chopped onion
chopped bell pepper
chopped celery
creole seasoning
tomatoes, diced
tomato sauce
de-boned chicken
rice
chicken or turkey stock

is there anything else i should substitue or add/remove to make healthier?

04-29-2007, 10:47 PM
alll the veggies are good the only thing thats not very healthy for you is the smoked sausage - im not really a big fan of sausage so i dont know if that sell lean or low fat sausage but thats what i would look for

also using brown rice instead of white rice would be a good idea

Relentless
04-30-2007, 07:03 AM
I think you could eliminate the rice entirely... most dishes like that only really have rice/pasta/etc. in them to bulk them out. For instance, I made stuffed bell peppers the other night. The recipe called for rice to be mixed in but I made it with just xlean ground beef as the main part of the 'stuffing'. Very lean, very healthy stuff.

I love smoked sausage and other lovely garlicky spicy stuff myself but 8.8 is right; it's fatty. Of course a little fat isn't that bad a thing for you to have as long as it's within reason. You could just reduce the amount of smoked sausage. Alternatively, just add more chicken and put in some mesquite smoke flavour and other spice that you'd get from the sausages.

Spicy food is also (slightly) thermogenic so it's good for cutting. At least that's what I keep telling myself. ;)

Last time I made jambalaya, I made this as the appetizer (NOTE: NOT good for cutting... :)):

:drooling:

Cornmeal-Fried Oysters with Chipotle Mayonnaise
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?action=recipe&language=1&recipeID=103&recipeType=1
HOLIDAY 2002
BY LUCY WAVERMAN

Everyone loves fried oysters, and this typical Cajun dish is perfect. It is excellent for New Year's Eve or any time of the year. Buy already shucked oysters to save time and trouble. If you buy the larger B.C. oysters for this dish, cut them in half.

1/2 cup (125 mL) cornmeal
1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
12 shucked oysters
Vegetable oil for frying

Combine cornmeal, flour, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper in a dish. Toss oysters in cornmeal mixture.
Heat enough oil to film base of skillet on high heat. When oil is very hot, add oysters, but do not crowd pan. Sauté for about 1 to 2 minutes or until coating is browned. Remove immediately to serving dish. Add more oil as needed to fry remainder. Serve with Chipotle Mayonnaise (recipe follows).

Serves 4 as an appetizer

Chipotle Mayonnaise

Chipotle in adobo sauce is canned smoked jalapeño peppers preserved in a very spicy tomato sauce. Both the peppers and the sauce are used in this dish. It is available in Mexican or South American stores and some supermarkets. If unavailable, use Asian sambal oelek but you will lose the smokiness.

1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
1 tsp (5 mL) chopped chipotle peppers
1 tsp (5 mL) adobo sauce
Salt to taste
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped coriander

Combine mayonnaise, chipotle peppers and adobe sauce. Season with salt and stir in coriander.

Makes 1/2 cup (125 mL)

biguns86
04-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks relentless...sounds great!