PDA

View Full Version : westside training help

Lones Green
04-29-2007, 09:26 PM
okay, so i started training westside tonight. i'm pretty much the only powerlifter in my city, so theres no one for me to talk to about these training methods. all i got is the articles on westside. i'll write out what lifts i was planning on doing, any help is greatly appreciated.

day 1- DE bench

50% of bench max with bands
OHP
JM press
lateral raises
dips
tricep pushdowns

day 2- ME squats

heavy box squats
front squats
back squats
leg extension
calves
good mornings
rack pulls

day 3- off

day 3- ME bench

flat bench
dumbbell incline bench
board presses
floor presses
front raises

day 4- DE squat/back

box squats w/bands
regular & sumo deads
leg curls
dumbbell rows
cable rows
tbar rows
lat pulls
shrugs

i'm eating around 5000 calories a day, like i've said before i've got nothing else to do right now. im VERY new to westside training, i've been reading a lot about box squats, bands, bench form, etc. help me out guys!

WestsideWarrior
04-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Try this...

Day 1 - ME Bench
Day 2 - ME Squats
Day 4 - DE Bench
Day 5 - DE Squat/dead

But it's whatever you prefer, IMO, it's good to get your heavy days, then your light/speed days

Chubrock
04-29-2007, 09:49 PM
If you plan on competing, you might consider sliding your ME work towards the end of the week, only for the simple reason that your body will be used to lifting heavy on the weekends as opposed to earlier in the week.

Contrary to what Westside (why his name is what it is, I dunno?) suggested, I find that by having the speed work early in the week, my ME lifts go smoother. Could be purely mental, but I do feel that the repetition during my DE days helps ingrain the movement into my mind.

Now, to get to your specific lifts. I think you're trying to accomplish way too much each day. You're going to find that you'll burn out pretty quickly with the volume you've got, unless you plan on doing like 1 set per lift. Stick to the basics. For you lower days, hit a solid squat movement, a solid pulling movement and some ab work. That's all you need. Don't worry about getting fancy at this point.

Lones Green
04-29-2007, 09:57 PM
yeah, i guess the best thing for me to do is just switch the days up, and see what works best for me. thanks for the feedback chub and westside.

vdizenzo
04-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Split your lat/upper back work between your ME and DE bench days.

RhodeHouse
04-30-2007, 02:02 PM
If you've read the Westside articles, set your training up JUST LIKE IT'S STATED. Don't re-invent the wheel.

ME Squat/DL
1. ME Work
2. GM's/RAck Pulls
3. Hamsrting/Low Back
4. Abs

ME Bench
1. Pick 4 exercises and rotate each week
2. Lockout work
3. Lats/Upper Back
4. Light Shoulder Work

DE Squat
1. DE Box Squat 8x2
2. DE DL
3 and 4 same as ME Day

DE Bench
1. DE Bench 8x3
2. Lockout work
3 and 4 same as ME Day

chris mason
04-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Right, the pick 4 exercises and rotate them each week doesn't mean you use 4 exercises each training day. What you do is use 1 exercise each day and rotate that exercise each week. So, you might perform a full ROM bench the first week on your ME day, and then use a floor press the next time.

Chris

Lones Green
04-30-2007, 04:33 PM
okay i think i understand. thanks for the help.