PDA

View Full Version : High-Protein Cereal?

LevesqueIsKing
04-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I love cereal, cant get enough of the stuff. I eat it all the time, partly because I dont grocery shop, so I have to eat whatever my mom buys, plus my parents are never home and I cant cook very well so I always reach for the easiest thing there is - cereal. I eat 4-5 bowls twice a day, when I wake up and right before I go to bed. It isnt the best stuff there is for bulking, so I was wondering: Is there any cereal out there that is REALLY high in protein, like made for high-protein diets? Are wheaties any better than regular cereal is, or is that just a gimmick? Ive never looked into it.

Thanks in advance everybody.

getfit
04-30-2007, 08:48 AM
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=86659&catid=58020&aid=335933&aparam=kashi_golean

getfit
04-30-2007, 08:48 AM
i love this one and a nice nutty taste to it.

Blanche_Soprano
04-30-2007, 08:58 AM
I aggree, Kashi GoLean is amazing. It takes some time to get used to, since most cereal out there is sweet and this one isn't. The GoLean Crunch is really good too and a bit sweeter if the regular isn't doing it for you. (13g of sugar versus 7g)

smokinHawk
04-30-2007, 09:23 AM
i have been having smart start (wheat one) it has 7g of protein, not much but alot for a ceral, and its been on sale at krogers for $2.50

Optimum08
04-30-2007, 10:08 AM
kashi go lean crunch. 13 g. fiber and like 8 g protein.

Rusty Jones
04-30-2007, 10:49 AM
I tried the kashi stuff and thought it tasted pretty bad. I think oatmeal crisp w/ almonds is a good tasting cereal w/ a decent protein count. Only problem might be the sugar.

dabaugh
04-30-2007, 11:46 AM
hrm ill have to try this kashi stuff. i thought it was hippie food but it actually looks pretty good.

still, cracklin' oat bran rules all for the taste category

manowar669
04-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I tried the kashi stuff and thought it tasted pretty bad.

Awww...
http://www.thismodernworld.com/weblog/images/kitty.jpg

Really, Kashi Go-Lean (not the crunch) is probably the best cereal commonly available.

Alex.V
04-30-2007, 11:54 AM
I have a bowl of oatmeal and a scoop of nitrean in milk. Look, protein and cereal. woo.

Optimum08
04-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Awww...
http://www.thismodernworld.com/weblog/images/kitty.jpg

Really, Kashi Go-Lean (not the crunch) is probably the best cereal commonly available.

whats wrong with the crunch? besides the small raise in sugar?

greekboy80
05-01-2007, 07:15 AM
All of you (except the women), should stay away from the Soy laden kashi cereals!

Get some Fiber One "honey clusters" or All Bran "yogurt bites" and have a protein shake with it, afterwards.

More fiber, more protein, NO SOY.

Problem solved!

getfit
05-01-2007, 08:10 AM
All of you (except the women), should stay away from the Soy laden kashi cereals!

Get some Fiber One "honey clusters" or All Bran "yogurt bites" and have a protein shake with it, afterwards.

More fiber, more protein, NO SOY.

Problem solved!

Don't those cereals have a ton of sugar?

greekboy80
05-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Don't those cereals have a ton of sugar?

Nah, Check it...

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/85524.html

http://www2.kelloggs.com/ServeImage.aspx?BID=14758&MD5=1994c27207e6e77bf46046069b87cd2e

The All Bran has a bit more, but 5 or 7 grams is not much at all, esp. in the morning when you probably need it the most...and it really, really tastes good!!!

Rusty Jones
05-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Why is that?

manowar669
05-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Why is that?

He's probably concerned with a study on young men whose diet contained a large portion of soy products. IIRC, Results were shrunken/small genitalia and reduced primary sexual characteristics (including testosterone production). Phytoestrogens in soy products mimic our own estrogen, and supposedly can produce similar effects in humans. The study (studies) were conducted in Swedish boys who were raised on soy formulas, and young japanese men who ate lots of soy (tofu, etc.). I believe the conclusion is that if you (men) consume less than 4 servings of soy products daily, you're fine.

I'm at work, and I don't have a link. If I'm wrong, or there's newer info, somebody please chime in.

manowar669
05-01-2007, 09:59 AM
whats wrong with the crunch? besides the small raise in sugar?

Less protein, more sugar, more calories that I could use for more nutritious foods.

greekboy80
05-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Why is that?

I live by "everything in moderation", and soy is unavoidable in most all foods that we consume. But the research that is out there it makes it more and more evident that soy is the new HFCS of the world and that it might actually be worse for us than HFCS or Trans fat.... Soy is unavoidable and I knowingly consume soy every couple of days, but if I can avoid it, you better believe that I try to as much as possible!

Check out the links and decide for yourself.

http://www.lowcarbportal.com/archives/categories/nutrition_soy/index.php (scroll down and read the interview done for T-Nation)

T-Nation: Let's get specific. Why should men, especially weightlifting studs like we guys here at T-Nation, avoid soy?

Dr. Daniel: Soy lowers Testosterone levels! Just about all soy products on the market contain the phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) known as isoflavones. Plant estrogens have lowered Testosterone levels in rats, monkeys, and other animals as well as humans. For grown men, this usually leads to decreased libido and lower sperm count. There’s an old wives tale that Japanese women punish their straying husbands by feeding them a lot of tofu!

We can joke about that but not about the effect on baby boys fed soy formula. Pediatricians are reporting more and more cases of emasculated boys reaching puberty with breasts and tiny penises. Undescended testicles are also far more common than they were in the past. Remember too that soy estrogens damage far more than the reproductive system. The thyroid is usually hurt first, leading to loss of energy, weight gain, depression, lethargy, and a host of other symptoms.

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

http://www.wholesoystory.com/index.php?pageID=Excerpts

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satter6.htm

greekboy80
05-01-2007, 11:49 AM
He's probably concerned with a study on young men whose diet contained a large portion of soy products. IIRC, Results were shrunken/small genitalia and reduced primary sexual characteristics (including testosterone production). Phytoestrogens in soy products mimic our own estrogen, and supposedly can produce similar effects in humans. The study (studies) were conducted in Swedish boys who were raised on soy formulas, and young japanese men who ate lots of soy (tofu, etc.). I believe the conclusion is that if you (men) consume less than 4 servings of soy products daily, you're fine.

I'm at work, and I don't have a link. If I'm wrong, or there's newer info, somebody please chime in.

What you just said is more reason for me to avoid it as much as possible. Why even take that chance when you dont HAVE to eat it....You could easily replace it with a piece of chicken or a couple of eggs. Or, just eat some diffrent cereal(minus the soy) and have a protein shake.

wannabeabigboy
05-01-2007, 05:22 PM
wow i had no idea that soy was responsible for this.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Don't those cereals have a ton of sugar?No, but I think they have a ton of soy. :scratch:

*Edit: Apparently soy has already been brought up.

greekboy80
05-02-2007, 08:14 AM
No, but I think they have a ton of soy. :scratch:

*Edit: Apparently soy has already been brought up.

No soy in the Fiber One or the All Bran cereals! Thats what I'm saying, in the "high protein" cereals, there is a ton of soy. Not in the Fiber one or all bran cereals....check the link and click on the type of cereal you want to see the ingrediants...

Tons of fiber and good complex carbs...

http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/brands/product.aspx?start=F#

http://www2.kelloggs.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?brand=122&product=5276&cat=cereal

Guido
05-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Try another Kashi cereal called "Organic Promise - Strawberry Fields". It tastes great, it's all organic, and has no soy. Has a good amount of protein, also. In fact, most of the Kashi cereals are good stuff (I do like the Go Lean, too).

manowar669
05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Try another Kashi cereal called "Organic Promise - Strawberry Fields". It tastes great, it's all organic, and has no soy. Has a good amount of protein, also. In fact, most of the Kashi cereals are good stuff (I do like the Go Lean, too).

2g protein/serving, only 1g fiber, 9g sugar. Looks yummy though.

Rock Steady
05-02-2007, 10:55 AM
I have a bowl of oatmeal and a scoop of nitrean in milk. Look, protein and cereal. woo.

Exactly. Whey and frosted mini wheats = protein + cereal + no crappy taste.

drk0511
05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Anyone ever try Special-K protein plus? I always wanted to try it out it has a crazy amount of protein

greekboy80
05-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Anyone ever try Special-K protein plus? I always wanted to try it out it has a crazy amount of protein

I have(before knowledge of evil soy), its decent, but theres still tons of soy.

If you dont mind eating the soy, do it up!

John04Civic
05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
I aggree, Kashi GoLean is amazing. It takes some time to get used to, since most cereal out there is sweet and this one isn't. The GoLean Crunch is really good too and a bit sweeter if the regular isn't doing it for you. (13g of sugar versus 7g)
Kashi GoLean is so awesome! I eat it everyday!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
No soy in the Fiber One or the All Bran cereals! Thats what I'm saying, in the "high protein" cereals, there is a ton of soy. Not in the Fiber one or all bran cereals....check the link and click on the type of cereal you want to see the ingrediants...

Tons of fiber and good complex carbs...

http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/brands/product.aspx?start=F#

http://www2.kelloggs.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?brand=122&product=5276&cat=cerealFiber One has freaking 11 grams of Fiber per cup. It's loaded with all kinds of syrup and sugar, though.

greekboy80
05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Fiber One has freaking 11 grams of Fiber per cup. It's loaded with all kinds of syrup and sugar, though.

Where do you see that?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-02-2007, 02:46 PM
On the Nutrition Label of the cereal box I'm looking at right next to me. Ya know...the ingredients. Corn syrup, malt syrup, brown sugar syrup, honey, sugar, etc...

greekboy80
05-02-2007, 03:01 PM
On the Nutrition Label of the cereal box I'm looking at right next to me. Ya know...the ingredients. Corn syrup, malt syrup, brown sugar syrup, honey, sugar, etc...

What kind of cereal is it? Per serving, depending on the type of Fiber One Cereal, in the "Honey Clusters" the maximum sugar per serving is 5 grams. A whopping 20 sugar calories.... Raisen bran clusters has 13 grams of sugar per serving...most of the sugar cals i assume, are because of the raisens which is 2nd on that list.

Have you tried the Fiber One "Honey Clusters". Its great...I actually, for the first time, just saw the Fiber One "Raisen Clusters" online. I might have to try it!

Still though, 13 grams of sugars(in which half are probably from raisens) is not that bad....

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-02-2007, 05:12 PM
It's the Raisin Bran clusters. It has about 13 grams of sugar and 45 grams of carbs. Not too bad. I just thought it was funny reading 3 kinds of syrup in the ingredients.

Mad Martigan
05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Take a cup of milk, mix it with 1/3 cup of powdered nonfat milk. It will make your 1% or skim milk taste much better, make whatever crappy health cereal you are eating taste better, and it doubles the protein content of your milk.

LevesqueIsKing
05-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I just got to the grocery yesterday and picked up some kashi go lean. It wasnt the best cereal I had ever tasted, but it wasnt too bad, definetly worth the protein.

lol, on a side note. I had the worst gas of my life today, and Ive concluded that it has got to be from the soy because I didnt change anything else in my diet. Seriously, in spanish class I let loose a silent but deadly and the teacher had to stop class and let everyone sitting in a 5 ft radius of me get a new seat on the other side of the room.

I guess thats just an added bonus :fart:

ilovemtl
05-02-2007, 07:39 PM
If you are really trying to up your protein count, cereals are a great place to get them.

getfit
05-02-2007, 07:43 PM
If you are really trying to up your protein count, cereals are a great place to get them.

really? and how so?

ilovemtl
05-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey getfit...

where can i find GO Lean cereal. I live in Montreal too, can I get them @ any grocery store?

getfit
05-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey getfit...

where can i find GO Lean cereal. I live in Montreal too, can I get them @ any grocery store?

health food stores have them.

Buzzsaw
05-02-2007, 08:26 PM
I eat Kashi Go Lean for breakfast and before bed every day. Awesome stuff.

greekboy80
05-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I just got to the grocery yesterday and picked up some kashi go lean. It wasnt the best cereal I had ever tasted, but it wasnt too bad, definetly worth the protein.

lol, on a side note. I had the worst gas of my life today, and Ive concluded that it has got to be from the soy because I didnt change anything else in my diet. Seriously, in spanish class I let loose a silent but deadly and the teacher had to stop class and let everyone sitting in a 5 ft radius of me get a new seat on the other side of the room.

I guess thats just an added bonus :fart:

Dude, the farts are prob not from the soy, but from the massive amounts of insoulible fiber scraping through you intestines scraping old rotten poo from the sides of your intestines(sp?) out. You'll have them for about a day or so till you scrape out all the "leftovers" from the walls of your intestines and colon.

At least you know your clensing out your colon!

greekboy80
05-03-2007, 08:37 AM
really? and how so?

Yeah fit, I have no clue where that come from...Left field I suppose.

greekboy80
05-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Take a cup of milk, mix it with 1/3 cup of powdered nonfat milk. It will make your 1% or skim milk taste much better, make whatever crappy health cereal you are eating taste better, and it doubles the protein content of your milk.

To be honest with you I have nevre thought of that. Good idea though, although, if its the protein you concerned about you could have a couple eggs afterwards or a protein shake...

But I get what your saying. I'll have to try it. How much is dry milk powder?

getfit
05-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah fit, I have no clue where that come from...Left field I suppose.

I'm still waiting for a response.

Mad Martigan
05-04-2007, 02:41 AM
To be honest with you I have nevre thought of that. Good idea though, although, if its the protein you concerned about you could have a couple eggs afterwards or a protein shake...

But I get what your saying. I'll have to try it. How much is dry milk powder?

CHEAP! I use the Walmart brand(although I can tell you that Carnation tastes better). It's about $4 for 32 servings. It just works so well in so many applications. I use it in my shakes too.

Want a quick snack? How about a cup of chocolate milk with 16grams of protein? Fast, easy, protein dense. I use artificially sweetened chocolate syrup in it too.

Skim milk tastes like crap even compared to 2%. Using the powdered milk with it makes it taste almost as good as whole milk in whatever way you use it.

piff
05-04-2007, 02:59 AM
Hey getfit...

I don't know about Canada, but most supermarkets carry Kashi cereals here in the US

I really didn't care for the GoLean cereal at first but it grew on me pretty fast. I keep a box handy in case I'm running late in the morning and don't have the extra 5 minutes required to fix up some oats

Colossal
05-04-2007, 05:03 AM

i love it, i eat it every morning. tastes great and is good diet wise

Beast
05-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Kashi GoLean has the best macros I've seen of any cereal, but GoLean Crunch tastes a lot better.

Guido
05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I've had the Go Lean and the taste grows on you. They carry it at basically any of the grocery stores around here.