PDA

View Full Version : Did my first competition on Saturday.

Uncle Fester
04-30-2007, 09:04 AM
So, like the title says, I competed in my first powerlifting competition on Saturday. It was an AAU meet in upstate NY. I have been losing some weight, so I could get into the 242 class, and ended up weighing in at 238. The meet was an ironman event, meaning we just did bench and deadlift.

Bench:
Opened with 235 - nailed it.
2nd attempt - 255 - 3 red lights, lifted my ass off of the bench
3rd attempt - 270 - nailed it, 3 white lights.

PR in the gym is 280, which I probably could have done in the meet.

Deadlift:
Opened 365 - nailed it
2nd - 415 - it came up so quick that I didn't know what to do (literally), I ended up stopping just above my knees, then finishing the lift - 3 red.
3rd - 440 - nailed it, no problem.

PR in the gym was 415 before this.

I'm trying to get the vids off of my digital camcorder, but I can't find the damned cable! Hopefully I'll have the vids in a day or two.

The guy I train with benched 405, and deadlifted 600. I should have some vids of that too.

BTW, former World's Strongest Man, Don Reinhoudt was there, I got my picture taken with him.

smokinHawk
04-30-2007, 09:21 AM
good first meet, sounds like you need to put some more weight on the bar and make it difficult.

Guido
04-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Seems like you went a little conservative on your bench attempts. I might have gone for a slight PR on the second attempt, or at least the 3rd. Still, good first meet! It's especially cool that you got to meet Don Reinhoudt. He's a legend and one of the strongest guys ever!

vdizenzo
04-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Nice job. Hitting a pr in a contest is always a very good thing. Keep it up!

Shark
04-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Reinhoudt was a beast in his day... i read once that he had 34" thighs!

Bob
04-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Awesome job Uncle Fester...
So was the competition just a Push-Pull? Or a full PL and you decided not to Squat?

Sounds like the fun of competition will keep you lifting for a while...
Congrats... and keep lifting heavy!!

Uncle Fester
04-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys, yeah, I only did pause benches twice before I went to competition, so I wasn't really sure on what to try.

Awesome job Uncle Fester...
So was the competition just a Push-Pull? Or a full PL and you decided not to Squat?

It was just a push-pull meet. I think I'm going to try a WNPF meet near the end of the summer, which will be a three lift meet.

TommyBoy
04-30-2007, 03:12 PM
BTW, former World's Strongest Man, Don Reinhoudt was there, I got my picture taken with him.
HOLY ****! That's awesome. Post the pic ASAP!!