PDA

View Full Version : PSMF diet... does it work?

BFGUITAR
04-30-2007, 12:40 PM
I want to know what you guys think of this diet.
600-800 calories over all seems quite low. I read the book and it seems to make sense but im not taking any chances.

What are your experiences with this diet? I have the willpower to go through with it but I want to make sure im not going to mess up my body. I want to retain all my hard earned muscle and losing it on a diet would not be good. :whiner:

Darcy Tucker
04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't know how much lean body mass you have but I'm almost sure you'll be at 1000-1800 calories per day as opposed to 600-800. In order to do this you must be using an EC stack or it won't be pleasant at all.

If you're a younger guy it can be tough to perform a PSMF because of the times you go out with alcohol. But I think if you stick with it pretty consistently it's more enjoyable than slow dieting. I was originally at like 206 lbs. I lost like 20 lbs simply by eating more veggies and cutting out starchy carbs and sugar. After that initial 20 lbs I found it very tough to get rid of the rest of pudge. I was at like 155 lbm and haven't had any access to measurement systems like scales or bf checkers. I wish I could give you more information about the amount of lbm I lost but I really don't know if I lost any at all.

Sidior
04-30-2007, 01:06 PM
If done properly it works very well. Check out littlejakes new journal, he is currently doing something very similar.

BFGUITAR
04-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Where can I get ephedrine and caffine in a way that I can measure amounts? I was reading and it said that if ive never done an EC stack that I should start with 10mg of ephedrine and 100mg of caffine per day for a little while and if everything is ok to pump that to 20mg E and 200mg C per day and so on.

And according to what ive read, I will be consuming about 195 grams of protein a day along with a tablespoon of Flax oil (omega-3 fats) and alot of veggies.

Thats about 780 calories a day (without vegetables)
It will probably be closer to 810 with all the little bits of carbs and fats in the food.

Unreal
04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
195g of protein is going to be around 850-900 cals. Figure 4 cals per gram is 780, but even if you use something like nitrean it will have some carbs and fat.

8 servings of nitrean Totals 880 cals 8g 16g 192g
6-8g of omega 3 is going to be 60-80 cals.
Probably 100-150 cals in veggies if not more.

You can buy caffeine and ephedrine online or at a local drugstore or even walmart.

Darcy Tucker
04-30-2007, 03:26 PM
I personally take 8mg of ephedrine and 200 mg of caffeine 3x per day. The ephedrine amount I take is small but it seems to curb my appetite enough. You'll find a lot of protein still has some carbs and fats in them. I take 1200-1300 calories per day, with 200+grams of protein for a cycle of 12 days. Then I carb up for 2 days, eat at 3000 calories for a week or two then repeat.

BFGUITAR
04-30-2007, 04:02 PM
So a three week plan is not good?

Unreal
04-30-2007, 04:49 PM
3 weeks is a bit long to PSMF for IMO. You have to see how you react and give it a try.

BFGUITAR
04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Generally, do people not use it that long because they cant handle it or because of the potential loss of LBM?

seK
04-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Generally, do people not use it that long because they cant handle it or because of the potential loss of LBM?

All is explained in the book.
Which you really should read before attempting the diet.
I have done it twice the first time I did 4 weeks and currently I am 3 weeks into a planning 6. I have slightly modified the diet though to suit my needs.

BFGUITAR
04-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I have read it but I want your input on it :D

seK
05-01-2007, 12:15 AM
It works, itís not recommended but it works.
Follow the outline of the diet and you will keep the LBM loss to a min but expect to lose some.
Also expect to gain some weight back pretty fast after you move back to a maintenance diet or even if you move into a less drastic caloric deficit diet.
I have found the hardest part was the mental aspect with such a drastic change in diet you will notice some changes in mood and may find it hard to concentrate. From my experience anyways.

Mr. D
05-01-2007, 12:51 AM
I want to know what you guys think of this diet.
600-800 calories over all seems quite low. I read the book and it seems to make sense but im not taking any chances.

What are your experiences with this diet? I have the willpower to go through with it but I want to make sure im not going to mess up my body. I want to retain all my hard earned muscle and losing it on a diet would not be good. :whiner:

Whats your current bf?if you are willing to go to a VLCD, why not try ultimate diet 2.0?that is if you are already 15% or lower.

Levantar
05-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Your not going to be able to get the proper amount of protein on 600 cals a day. You WILL lose muscle if you stay on that for 3 weeks. You'll also lose alot of fat as well.

VikingWarlord
05-01-2007, 06:49 PM
It works, but it sucks big ****ing horse cock. If you're a masochist and you want to spend your days masturbating to pizza commercials, go for it. Otherwise, try something a little less extreme.

joseph83746
05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
It's really fatiguing to keep up 600-800 calories a day even if you didn't work out that day or other days. 1000-1200 works if you doing 1-2 work out hours a day but make sure you keep you protein 60%, carbs 30% and fat to 10%(adjust the protein accordingly if you decide to lower the fat intake).

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-01-2007, 07:14 PM
It works, but it sucks big ****ing horse cock. If you're a masochist and you want to spend your days masturbating to pizza commercials, go for it. Otherwise, try something a little less extreme.:zipit:

VikingWarlord
05-01-2007, 07:36 PM
:zipit:

I just tell it like it is. A week into the PSMF, a commercial for Pizza Hut might as well be Asian Suck Dolls 2006. Yes, it's a real movie.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-01-2007, 07:47 PM
You spend too much time alone in your house. http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/dvv/sconf.gif

VikingWarlord
05-01-2007, 07:49 PM
You spend too much time alone in your house. http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/dvv/sconf.gif

Is that supposed to be news?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-01-2007, 07:51 PM
No, just pointing out the obvious.

http://i13.tinypic.com/4uswbc5.jpg

VikingWarlord
05-01-2007, 07:54 PM
No, just pointing out the obvious.

http://i13.tinypic.com/4uswbc5.jpg

Just checking. I think I'm going back into hiding.

Sidior
05-01-2007, 08:45 PM
It's really fatiguing to keep up 600-800 calories a day even if you didn't work out that day or other days. 1000-1200 works if you doing 1-2 work out hours a day but make sure you keep you protein 60%, carbs 30% and fat to 10%(adjust the protein accordingly if you decide to lower the fat intake).

30% carbs on a PSMF? What the hell are you talking about?

To the OP. a PSMF will work and muscle loss will be minimal if your bf is significant. Once you get to around 15% bf or so you will need to look into other methods (UD2 for example) if you plan to keep losing while keeping muscle loss to a minimum.

BFGUITAR
05-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Im about 17-18% bf now... Im thinking of doing a PSMF diet now, waiting two week and than trying UD2...

The only problem is that my wisdom teeth will be coming out near the end of June and thats going to take up some of the UD2 time... Is that a bad thing?

JSully
05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
30% carbs on a PSMF? What the hell are you talking about?

To the OP. a PSMF will work and muscle loss will be minimal if your bf is significant. Once you get to around 15% bf or so you will need to look into other methods (UD2 for example) if you plan to keep losing while keeping muscle loss to a minimum.

once you get in the 15% range I suggest no longer than 11 days straight without a UD2 style refeed and then at least one week off at maintenance calories and a hardcore workout regime for that week. That will aid in building back almost everything you lost, if not gain some.

Check out my journal, I'm currently doing a psmf. I have it all on a spreadsheet but I've yet to post it. I will one of these days if I can figure out how to shrink it enough to fit on the entire screen and still be readable as a screenshot.

My psmf is 11 days, then a 3 day UD2 refeed and one week at just under maintenance calories. That one week consists of a cyclical nutritent ratio depending on what workouts I have and the weekly cals add up to just under my maintenance.

BFGUITAR
05-01-2007, 10:18 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1672225#post1672225

Heres pics I just took 5 min ago. My BF% is quite high and I think a PSMF is right for me at the moment, what do you think?

I will soon after do something like UD2

ray34iyf
05-01-2007, 10:24 PM
If I were you, I would forget the PSMF diet and just go on a slow clean cut. I would aim for a 1lb loss of weight a week and maybe look into a fat loss stimulant(Thermocin). But that's just my opinion. Atleast that's what I'm doing until I reach 12% BF.

BFGUITAR
05-01-2007, 10:33 PM
If I were you, I would forget the PSMF diet and just go on a slow clean cut. I would aim for a 1lb loss of weight a week and maybe look into a fat loss stimulant(Thermocin). But that's just my opinion. Atleast that's what I'm doing until I reach 12% BF.

Why do you suppose I do that?
Just out of curiosity.

ray34iyf
05-02-2007, 05:58 PM
I haven't read a whole lot about PSMF(basically nothing), but didn't you say that it is around 600-1000 cals a day? I would think that'd be pretty grueling. I think it would be easier to just do the simple slow clean cut. I think I'll read up on that and maybe I'll change my tune.

ddegroff
05-02-2007, 08:54 PM
I haven't read a whole lot about PSMF(basically nothing), but didn't you say that it is around 600-1000 cals a day? I would think that'd be pretty grueling. I think it would be easier to just do the simple slow clean cut. I think I'll read up on that and maybe I'll change my tune.

Read the book and you'll see the science behind it.

You're right a clean cut would work. But some of us are impatient, lol.

Focused70
05-02-2007, 09:07 PM

The first two days are literally hell. After that, you'd be surprised how quickly you adjust....well, as much as you can function without thinking of the idea of food.

ray34iyf
05-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I would assume that this would be more for the crowd with a high BF and alot of muscle to lose? Wouldn't you lose alot of muscle mass on this?

seK
05-02-2007, 11:01 PM
You do lose LBM but if done correctly it can be minimal. As for who the diet is for it is geared toward the beginner but provides a wide variance for BF% and the diet adjusts according to that.

sharkall2003
05-02-2007, 11:31 PM
You don't lose much lbm. I lost 10 lbs in two weeks and maybe ten pounds on all lifts.

BFGUITAR
05-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Its mainly for people well above 15% bf. Im almost at 20 so I would see a rapid loss of fat.

Im thinking afterwards on doing a slow cut involving carb cycling as described by built. I would like to perhaps lose another 5-6 pounds after im done with the PSMF diet.

It says in the book to eat at maintanance after the diet... is there any harm in continueing a slow cut?

ArchAngel777
05-03-2007, 07:27 AM
The problem with PSMF is that people either tend to do it to long, or they are to extreme with it.

Example 1: Person decides to bring calories even lower because he wants to loose weight faster. So he reduces his protein intake and is no longer getting 1g per LBM. This will speed up weight loss, but NOT fat loss. Now the individual thinks he was going to lose weight faster because he is eating less. Not so, he just effed up his LBM in the process.

Example 2: The person has been on the PSMF for so long and never does a refeed... He thinks the refeed will slow his progress, but the opposite is true. So he stays on the diet, metabolic rate drops real fast (30-40%) and weight loss slows to a crawl anyway. In the mean time, LBM is sure to suffer when the PSMF is taken too long. Lyle outlines this in his book.

So long as you avoid those two examples, the PSMF is relatively safe.

tdotteg
05-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Where can I get ephedrine and caffine in a way that I can measure amounts? I was reading and it said that if ive never done an EC stack that I should start with 10mg of ephedrine and 100mg of caffine per day for a little while and if everything is ok to pump that to 20mg E and 200mg C per day and so on.

And according to what ive read, I will be consuming about 195 grams of protein a day along with a tablespoon of Flax oil (omega-3 fats) and alot of veggies.

Thats about 780 calories a day (without vegetables)
It will probably be closer to 810 with all the little bits of carbs and fats in the food.

You live in Toronto don't you? if so, you can pick up Eph and caff from Popeye's or SND on yonge st. eph comes in 8mg caps and caff comes in 200mg caps.

ddegroff
05-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Its mainly for people well above 15% bf. Im almost at 20 so I would see a rapid loss of fat.

Im thinking afterwards on doing a slow cut involving carb cycling as described by built. I would like to perhaps lose another 5-6 pounds after im done with the PSMF diet.

It says in the book to eat at maintanance after the diet... is there any harm in continueing a slow cut?

Sounds like a plan, except the last part. The maintanance is key to keeping your LBM. Just do it for two weeks then start your slow cut.

ray34iyf
05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Could someone outline the principles of this diet so my lazy a$$ doesn't have to buy and read the book?

Thanks in advance.

seK
05-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Could someone outline the principles of this diet so my lazy a$$ doesn't have to buy and read the book?

Thanks in advance.

Buy the book and support the author he has done allot for the community.

BFGUITAR
05-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Sounds like a plan, except the last part. The maintanance is key to keeping your LBM. Just do it for two weeks then start your slow cut.

How does eating at maintanance affect LBM after the cut?

Vapour Trails
05-04-2007, 12:00 PM
There is also a 14 day UD2, very similar to what LittleJake is doing. Day 1-11 would be low calorie, low carb, but not extreme (maybe 10xBW cals, 100g carbs max) with some depletion work. Day 11 would be tension with carb up, Day 13 power work and Day 14 rest. To be honest, you're on the wrong site Guitar, go to bodyrecomposition.com

Con
05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
The 14 day version sounds interesting.

Just wondering have you done that version vapour? If you have how close are the results compared to the standard UD2 cycle?